Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding DF so sieges happen more often.  (Read 3218 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
modding DF so sieges happen more often.
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:14 pm »

So since 0.40 is Yawn Fortress : I'm Desesperately Waiting For Sieges Since A Few Years, how to mod the game so sieges happen more often ?

And i'm not talking about undead sieges/evil biomes. Undead sieges are far too fun especially that they happen early and they have painless, bloodless soldiers = completely impossible to beat without magma or trap abuse or danger rooms or turtling for years. No, I'm talking about something that actually brings goblinite to your fort.

Having several goblin entity entries in your game, without the hilarity brought by duplicate raws ? ? More civilizations (doesn't seem to work well : i play 0.40 with Fortress Defense and yet...) ? Anything else ?

Anyone has tried something ?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: modding DF so sieges happen more often.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »

One thing I did was make a species that shows up in 50-60, and like zombies, will attack you relentlessly, and are about as rare as cave spiders, in all biomes. They were basically a cross between tigermen and trolls.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:18:55 pm »

just add more active season tokens, here's the wiki page.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:02:15 pm »

just add more active season tokens, here's the wiki page.
Goblins are already active during every season.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:13 am »

really
EDIT that willl teach me to open my mouth without checking.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:55:04 am by Urist McCoder »

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:11:01 am »

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE] and the other two that look really similar to that might be what you want to change. Just lower the numbers, and they will come earlier. (Lower them to one, not to zero)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:21 am »

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE] and the other two that look really similar to that might be what you want to change. Just lower the numbers, and they will come earlier. (Lower them to one, not to zero)

I WOULD change to one all of the fortress defense civilizations, but that may be a little too fun getting great fiend spiders at 50 dwarves...

Eh, who cares. i want sieges, i want sieges.

I tried decreasing the numbers beforehand but I clearly didn't lower them enough.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:51:54 am by Naryar »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:00:42 am »

The easiest way is to copy the normal goblin civ and just change their ID to EVIL_1, EVIL_2, etc.

Another idea is to copy humans, elves or dwarves (remove the playable_civ) and add BABYSNATCHER or ITEM_THIEF, that way these civs attack you too. (in addition to the original civs that are still your allies)

Or remove SKULKING from kobolds, they will not only send thieves, but also ambushes and sieges. I like that one the most.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:02:34 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 11:16:24 pm »

The easiest way is to copy the normal goblin civ and just change their ID to EVIL_1, EVIL_2, etc.

Another idea is to copy humans, elves or dwarves (remove the playable_civ) and add BABYSNATCHER or ITEM_THIEF, that way these civs attack you too. (in addition to the original civs that are still your allies)

Or remove SKULKING from kobolds, they will not only send thieves, but also ambushes and sieges. I like that one the most.

I haven't really dipped into modding things myself except extremely small changes for experimentation (usually things that let me take dangerous animals at embark to breed rather than never getting to see them) How would i go about copying that goblin civ and changing the tags?

Also how do i bring in some of the fortress defense civilizations. it hasn't seemed to be updated for 40.24 last time i checked

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:21:39 pm »

I removed skulking from Kobolds too, it was so fun! They actually showed up about half as much as the goblins used to. Why are kobolds so active compared to the past?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »

How would i go about copying that goblin civ and changing the tags?

In entity_default.txt, copy [ENTITY:EVIL] and everything between it and [ENTITY:SKULKING], then paste it, and in the pasted copy, change the "[ENTITY:EVIL]" to "[ENTITY:EVIL_2]" (or whatever).

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 12:44:42 am »

How would i go about copying that goblin civ and changing the tags?

In entity_default.txt, copy [ENTITY:EVIL] and everything between it and [ENTITY:SKULKING], then paste it, and in the pasted copy, change the "[ENTITY:EVIL]" to "[ENTITY:EVIL_2]" (or whatever).

much appreciated! i made an evil_2 and evil_3 and generated a new world.