Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Getting ready to raid a vault  (Read 13959 times)

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting ready to raid a vault
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:41:04 am »

So I've found a vault near a city where my I spent most of my time with my adventurer and I need to know what I will need to be ready to raid the place.
I've got superhuman strength,agility, toughness and endurance and I became a vampire, for stuff I have a bronze suit of armor, a masterwork copper shield and masterwork long copper sword and finally a artifact platinum mace.For skill I've got grand master dodger,adequate mace and dagger,legendary fighter and wrestler,master armor user and shield user, and great observer. So should I look for better equipment or train skill or if it's time to go kill some angel.

Nitrolphin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ready to raid a vault
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:22:26 am »

You should actually probably get candy armor, since all of their equipment is divine and will kick your copper and bronze equipment's ass. As for your platinum artifact, keep it, it's better than a candy mace, but train your maceman skill.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:34:23 am »

The mace skill seems to be too low to stand a chance to hit some of the guardians.

From my experience in vault raiding
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And there's something to know

Fighting

The easy way to raid a vault

Be sure to check some tactic to use in combat too :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149437.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:37:44 am by Robsoie »

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:49:46 am »

The problem I have with being a necromancer is to still be able to enter friendly town even though I could easily become one(tower proximity + being a vampire).
Candy armor will be too long to get mostly because of aquifer and that I'm playing an human adventurer(I could use the wanderer friends resize but that doesn't cover gauntlet).
So should I go in with or without armor and what creature could I use to train my maceman skill(I have a crappy stone one(mod)) as due to my stats non-megabeast die pretty easily.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:18 am »

As a vampire and with twelve fully iron armoured companions, I had a hard time taking out a vault. The unarmed ones were an even match for me, luckily, I had my companions. Warning: Even if you aren't legless right now, get a crutch. You most likely will get some leg damage. If you're able to play as a human civ, trade with dwarves to get as much steel as possible. Make a ton of steel armour and leather layers to go over this, for as many companions as you'll be bringing. For you, I suggest:

1: Get 2 steel mail shirts, one steel breastplate, a steel helmet, a pair of copper shields if you cant get artifact shields, steel chain leggings, steel high boots, five leather hoods and cloaks, leather mittens, leather socks, a leather long skirt, and a leather cape, plus your weapon, which must be artifact. All masterwork or artifact.

Optional: Get adamantine picks, spears, short swords, and battle axes from a former dwarven fortress.

Use the same amount of stuff, but with only one shield, and can be superior or exceptional quality level.

2: Swim, climb, grapple, anything with macros that increases your strength, endurance, and agility. Throwing iron picks as a legendary thrower can really be helpful.

3: Become a vampire. This can be surprisingly easy at times, or exceptionally hard. It is a must though.

4: Make sure everyone is as strong as they can reasonably get. Do a lot of fighting, such as ripping into a dark pit, to get their skills up. Spit at them, to raise dodging skill.

5: Approach carefully. Do not engage more than one at a time, and do so carefully. Don't rush at them, throw picks and war hammers at them and let them close in. Once they're within range, fight carefully. I suggest possibly getting a dwarf companion or two, as their martial trances are good.

6: Whatever you do, DO NOT engage the Archangel unless you and all your companions have divine metal equipment on. It doesn't have to be full coverage, just don't expect to survive otherwise. And pray that he's not made of metal.

Of course, even with all that preparation, you still face a good chance of being slaughtered on sight.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:59:08 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:12:27 pm »

It looks like you can't really get the prize until you're capable of doing without. So there's nothing to be gained except bragging rights, and a big advantage for the next adventurer you may play.

It's a fine way to cap off an adventuring career. I'll go for some bragging rights.

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:34 pm »

Are demon easier to kill than angel/archangel? If so I might go to dark fortress to train my mace skill before hitting the vault.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »

Why mace? It doesn't seem optimal. Warhammer, whip, even hammering someone with a silver crossbow is better than mace.

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:30:21 pm »

Why mace? It doesn't seem optimal. Warhammer, whip, even hammering someone with a silver crossbow is better than mace.
Because I've got an artifact platinum mace

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »

Hitting things with a maul is better than a crossbow. Whip>hammer>mace>flail>maul>crossbow.

And it depends how strong the demon is. I personally found fighting a demon harder, but at least demons aren't decked out in better than steel armour and weapons. If you beat the vault and get the slab, you have the potential to get a super powerful demon. An archangel is basically a stronger demon. One of my friends beat a vault, and the demon he got was a steel ape. Trust me, a steel ape demon companion is the best thing you'll ever see. I'd say taking out a vault is the biggest accomplishment you can get. Other than maybe letting loose hell in a fort, then fighting all the way to hell in adventure mode.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 01:33:49 pm »

Hitting things with a maul is better than a crossbow.
True, but maul doesn't give you the distance option.
Whip>hammer>mace>flail>maul>crossbow.
Drop mace from that list and I'll agree with you.
I'd say taking out a vault is the biggest accomplishment you can get. Other than maybe letting loose hell in a fort, then fighting all the way to hell in adventure mode.
I've done that, but I've never raided a vault. A vault is easier?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:10:14 pm »

Hitting things with a maul is better than a crossbow.
True, but maul doesn't give you the distance option.
Whip>hammer>mace>flail>maul>crossbow.
Drop mace from that list and I'll agree with you.
I'd say taking out a vault is the biggest accomplishment you can get. Other than maybe letting loose hell in a fort, then fighting all the way to hell in adventure mode.
I've done that, but I've never raided a vault. A vault is easier?

It really depends on the types of demons you'll be facing, whereas a vault is always tough. And a mace is the third strongest blunt weapon. Hammers and whips outdo them, but mauls, flails, and crossbows do close to nothing compared to the top three.

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »

Well I entered the vault and I was lucky the first room only contained one with weapon angel who reduce to only be able to push thanks to legendary wrestling (Cave-in strike from Kisat Dur) and artifact mace but about the armor the vault contain how I'm I suppose to equip them since they're large?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

If any of them are made of fire, just run. There is no hope.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 04:34:38 pm »

If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5