Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You know I love you dwarves, right?  (Read 2460 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You know I love you dwarves, right?
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:39:30 pm »

As someone who frequents forums in numerous corners of the web, I can honestly say in my experience this is the best community I have encountered to date. I am not insulted for making a mistake, the community knows my posts are for entertainment or inquiry, and in general I feel welcomed. Unlike other forums where I feel like making a post or topic is a chore and I genuinely do not look am annoyed when even a response is made due to sometimes half of them are there only to insult, I for one on here do not have that feeling. I may not frequent this forum all that much, but I should, and all the responses I have encountered were at worse, matter of fact.

I would like to use a post I made a few months ago asking if there was a mod or similar augmentation to df in akin to the anime show "Attack on Titan" as an example. All the responses were very nice and informative. Had I made that same topic in a different forum for a different game my experience  with forums leads me to believe that many, if not all, the comments would likely be condescending at best. In short, you dwarves are great and have passed my exceptions. Your alright!

But alas, that is not the only reason I am here. I play dwarf fortress on and off. I would personally rate myself as a beginning player. Above novice, but still much to learn. Lately I have been trying to hone my creative muscles, which has dulled over the years.

On another game called minecraft I was making an adventure map, under the name "Cavern Legend". Its a project that is great at bettering my writing and general creativity. However I had to put a halt on it for the time being as I do not have the means to move further on the project. I need a better computer, mine can barely play the game!

I feel it is time to move onto a different project. I am considering making a fortress and playing a season, then proceeding to write on these forums about the fortress itself. The twist will be, the writing will be in rhyme. Has that been done? Please tell me it hasn't! I usually go for an a b a b rhyming scheme, but if you dwarves are more akin to another, do not be afraid to voice your opinion. This is also to give back to a community who has treated me well. I will engrave some humor here and there. (see what I did there, engrave! Har har!)

I am using 40.19. I would use 40.24, but the internet I have access to is very fickle with its bandwidth. NEVER GET SATELLITE INTERNET IF YOU CAN AVOID IT! READ THE REVIEWS FIRST BEFORE DECIDING. CUSTOMER BEWARE! When I have the opportunity to gain access to another isp with a normal amount of downloading capacity, I shall download it.

For my future fans . I will have some, right? suggestions and helpful tips on my quest is welcomed. As mentioned, I am a beginner, and as such there is much for me to learn. I haven't even perfected the technique of making a well. Also I would like the community to vote for a name on my project:

Can a Poet Rule?: Votes - 0
Poet Fortress: Votes - 0
Here be a Poet: Votes - 1
With Pen and Ink, Strike the Parchment!: Votes - 6
Praise the Poets, we have Struck Literature (suggested by "That Wolf"): Votes - 1

Also you may suggest a name. If I like it, or if many others like it, I will add it to the list.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:25:42 pm by ykcud »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: You know I love you dwarves, right?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:05:31 pm »

Im already a starry eyed fan :)
I would suggest getting the new poetry update to fit in with your rhyming adventure, just so if you get stuck one of the poem forms/ideas could help you out.
Look at the dwarven poetry thread it can help.
Never become a vampire. Werebeast all the way! A were pangolin is my favourite. Pangolins are freaking cute, way better than a smelly armadillo.

I suggest Praise the poets,we have struck litrature
Except spell it correctly  :P

Dwarf me, I want to be the bookkeeper or my real life job a cook. Wolfy, any gender will do.
A glorious death awaits
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:23:09 pm by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »

I vote for Pen and Ink, Strike the Parchment!

And dwarf me too, please! I wanna be one of the cooks!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:29:17 pm »

Thats right! I forgot I can name our dwarfs. Lets get some more turn out I will start soon. Cant right now as I am preparing dinner for 5 humans.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:38:33 pm »

Also before I forget, how should the world be. Lots of savagery? Not many civilizations? And so forth.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:23:27 am »

I usually went with an a b a b rhyming scheme, but if you dwarves are more akin to another, do not be afraid to voice your opinion.

You should use a procedurally generated poetic form, of course.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/early_poetic_forms.html

Like, i dunno, maybe this one.

A light poetic form, originating in The Helmed Nation. The poem is divided into two distinct parts: a brief verse paragraph and seventeen tercets. Use of internal rhyme and ambiguity is characteristic of the form. A form of parallelism is common throughout the poem, in that certain lines sometimes have reversed word orders.
The first part concerns the past.
The second part concerns current events. Certain lines often contrast underlying meaning. It has lines with five feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed (qualitative trochaic pentameter). The ending of each line of this part rhymes with each other.

Well, kidding of course, I picked that one because it's kind of batsh!t.  But there are some on the page that might be practical ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:26:42 am by smakemupagus »

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 01:07:41 am »

I usually went with an a b a b rhyming scheme, but if you dwarves are more akin to another, do not be afraid to voice your opinion.

You should use a procedurally generated poetic form, of course.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/early_poetic_forms.html

Like, i dunno, maybe this one.

A light poetic form, originating in The Helmed Nation. The poem is divided into two distinct parts: a brief verse paragraph and seventeen tercets. Use of internal rhyme and ambiguity is characteristic of the form. A form of parallelism is common throughout the poem, in that certain lines sometimes have reversed word orders.
The first part concerns the past.
The second part concerns current events. Certain lines often contrast underlying meaning. It has lines with five feet with an accent pattern of stressed-unstressed (qualitative trochaic pentameter). The ending of each line of this part rhymes with each other.

Well, kidding of course, I picked that one because it's kind of batsh!t.  But there are some on the page that might be practical ...

I do like the page a lot, but I am still partial to what I am most used to.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 01:14:01 am »

I agree with smakemupagus about using a procedurally generated form. However, I think for your purposes, that form would be perfect for an after-action report. A brief recap and then a relatively easy rhythm to follow (at least in English). I imagine it sounding similar to "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe.

Also, With Pen and Ink, Strike the Parchment! is clearly the best name and the polls should have closed weeks ago.

Finally, v0.40.24 is pretty stable (only unfun bug I know is 8719, which is easily avoided (don't build right next to trees)). The hauling improvements, the auto-mining, do-this-now priority, and the smart job search that come with v0.40.24 is certainly worth the upgrade.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:38:27 am »

When I gain access to a better internet I shall download 40.24

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:20:14 am »

When the next version comes out, your civ will have its own generated poetic forms that you can use, at least occasionally.

Since it looks like a major release, I fully expect the first couple poems about that version to be describing game bugs and crashes :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 02:19:09 pm »

. . . Our party found us in the midst of a troll
Its head where its tail should be, and arms instead of terror
Woah! That is one messed up troll! Shut up Gulithul Inturupteth! I am making poetry happen!
The beast glitched and staggered up to us from its hole
With a garbled, static voice it uttered "I am error"

-Uthulim Glitchthaller

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 06:55:20 am »

This seems a really interesting project! I'll be glad to be considered a fan!

And... yep,  "With Pen and Ink, Strike the Parchment" is my favourite name too!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:52 am »

Here be a poet, others seem too long.  Looking forward to what you shall conjure, o' poet!

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 02:33:22 pm »

A few more fans and a few more votes and I shall start the project.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 02:33:58 pm »

I vote "Strike the Parchment!

"battle axe will cut
when honed to strike parchment
the quill's ink will last"

haiku by Sanctume, Novice Wordsmith
Pages: [1] 2