Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress from throughout the Net  (Read 1887 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Dwarf Fortress from throughout the Net
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »

Haven't really found a more appropriate topic for discussing/collecting/compiling the various places DF is significantly mentioned.
I'm not sure if there is a similar topic in a different forum, but it would seem most appropriate for things that specifically refer to aspects of DF to go in the DF GD forum.
Additionally, there are plenty of people that don't like/can't use reddit, so /r/DwarfFortress isn't a proper alternative, particularly since reddit's search engine is so horrible.

Things I would consider worth posting for a community to discuss: (most have been mentioned separately elsewhere in the forums)
This post on reddit that uses DF to explain why comas are what they are -Because it's a great explanation, and was understood even by people that haven't heard of DF.
This French guide to understanding and playing DF -Because it's so good at explaining the intricacies and interpreting the display. (Wish there was a native English version)
And of course this xkcd comic that relates Big Brother to the player in DF -Because it's a way to find something funny about the dystopia growing around us.

I considered including the Learning Curve comparison image, but decided against since it was just an edited version of the original one for EVE Online.

I encourage anyone else to post instances where DF is central to the article/discussion/etc.
I'd also like to see what commentary people have about these and other instances that are posted.

E: I suppose this is indirectly related to this topic.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress from throughout the Net
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »

Rock, Paper,Shotgun where its writers appear to be in awe about Dwarf Fortress:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/19/dwarf-fortress-poetry-generation-matters/

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:36:04 pm »

"DwarfCon"
We need this to become a thing.
Perhaps just turning the whole block the annual meetup bar is on into a Block Party?
Hard to justify travelling across the country primarily to spend a couple hours in a bar, but a weekend of Dwarven Ingenuity/Terror? "That's how many weeks away? Good, I'll reserve that month then." :P

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:42:05 pm »

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:01 pm »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/DwarfFortress

Gotta mention the obvious. We've also got several forum threads, including a main one, a modding one, and three or four finished succession forts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »

I considered including the Learning Curve comparison image, but decided against since it was just an edited version of the original one for EVE Online.
Predates the Eve Online one, at any rate neither are the original image - no one was yet found the original.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:08:46 pm »

^I know my sig is, as it says, a rendition of a rendition of a description of said image.