Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [Fan Game] ER UFO Defense Main Thread - Starting up for realz  (Read 4246 times)

Nunzillor

Re: [Fan Game] ER UFO Defense Main Thread - Starting up for realz
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 01:44:26 am »

((I think the misunderstanding is that the second +1 only costs 1 -1 point instead of 2))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 03:47:20 am »

((Yep, so at the moment Lopez has one too many -1s in his "Skills" section. For two separate +1s, only two -1s are needed (separate or combined into -2).

@Aigre:
Just to check, are chest seals intended for sealing just one hole, or potentially both sides of a perforating wound? I've seen both kinds of chest seals. Also, did I get a painkiller pill as specified?
Also - can't the medical items (gauze, chest seals) go to pouches instead of the backpack (because of the size or something) or can they be stuffed in both types of containers? Just checking.
(Sorry for bothering you, merely hoping to resolve these little issues before the mission comes.) ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 04:17:40 am »

((Ok, I'll revert the change back to the original.))
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:24:14 am by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 04:42:32 am »

((Yep, so at the moment Lopez has one too many -1s in his "Skills" section. For two separate +1s, only two -1s are needed (separate or combined into -2).

@Aigre:
Just to check, are chest seals intended for sealing just one hole, or potentially both sides of a perforating wound? I've seen both kinds of chest seals. Also, did I get a painkiller pill as specified?
Also - can't the medical items (gauze, chest seals) go to pouches instead of the backpack (because of the size or something) or can they be stuffed in both types of containers? Just checking.
(Sorry for bothering you, merely hoping to resolve these little issues before the mission comes.) ))

5-10  items per slot, lets say. Things like bandages are very compressible. I've seen military medics heft their fair share of 20 kilo kits, which usually include things like foldable stretchers. You could also try to become a walking pharmacy...

Lets say the chest seals are as flexible and useful as what modern tech allows. 2 sides it is!
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 10:18:58 pm »

Please answer these two questions:
1.How much does a ballistic mask cost?  I'll drop AP bullets until I can afford one.
2.Mechanically, how helpful is a reflex sight?  Does it turn the BR's -2 at Short Range into -1?  -0?  Or does it do nothing, and I'm wasting money?

You don't need to read the below, but you might want to.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 06:00:40 am »

The 9x39mm mags are split between subsonic and supersonic cartridges.  (5/15) means the first five rounds are sub, then the next fifteen are super--Half a second to the boom.

That might be fun to watch, with you aiming high to compensate the slow rounds' drop, then suddenly finding yourself shooting at the clouds. Or, the sixth bullet overtaking the previous five, and all of them going off course. Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun... ;)

There's also this rule of thumb for weapon accessories: the first to improve the weapon's main function, the second for versatility, the third onwards for decoration. Choose wisely what you're actually going to need, lest you end up burdened with a christmas tree.

BTW, the Soviet doctrine said that the squad's sharpshooter is not only to pick off targets but also to lay down long range suppression; that's why the Dragunov SVD had a such a high RoF and large magazines for its time, and why their later sniper rifles tend to be fully automatic.

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:12 am »

((I'm not intending to snipe with the hot rounds.  The various special rounds are for any special alien types that might be around, but not in the briefing.  There's five subsonic rounds, for sniping, and fifteen supersonic, for "OH SHIT IT'S TWENTY FEET AWAY FUCKFUCKFUCK", in case subsonics don't do enough damage and I don't have the time to swap mags.  At that range, you're not compensating for drop, so it should be fine.  Besides, it's idiotic to use automatic fire at any significant range if you want to actually hit anything.

Normally, I'd agree with your statement on weapon accessories, but I don't have the funds to get a very effective (or silenced) SMG for close range.  The VSS out of box should be good enough for medium range sniping, which is what this mission has, and giving it better versatility is way more likely to save me than improving its primary function.

And yeah, so?  I'm grabbing the VSS purely because it's got the best silenced sniping round.  Yes, I could also get some M16 variant and modify it to fire .338 Whisper or some other lookalike, but that doesn't have the aesthetics.  If you guys want suppression, buy an M249--automatic fire is only a last resort for me.))

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 11:28:42 am »

((I agree, once we get a couple more players we should get something designed for it.
In the meanwhile, the reason why I got so much ammo is precisely to fill the role. Yes, I have more than a Soviet marksman would carry, but the team is understrength so I thought better to take up the slack.

BTW,))

Fidel goes to the vendor and asks for a spool of trip wire, three pull fuses, black tape and pliers.

Afterwards, he tries to get the team members' attention. "Hey, guys? HELLO-O", he tries, to little effect. Breathing in, he raises his voice:
HELLO-O! GUYS, YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE? I'm taking up the suppression role for the team, so ammo contributions are welcome!

The more I have, the more I can splurge it about on everybody's behalf. Thank you!

Wait for reaction, thank for any donations and put them in the backpack.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:49:58 pm by Maegil »

Pages: 1 2 [3]