Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: A Sudden Reality Shift: New System and respec thread  (Read 37241 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Sudden Reality Shift: New System and respec thread
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2015, 04:47:45 am »

Charles: Not wrong, but poorly done.  Skills start with two +1s, and then levelups upgrade one of those to a +2.  It would be better to start with that +2, then use skills to upgrade the other to +1, and have 5 points to spare.  Also, you have no points in Charisma, which now covers speech.
WHAT? Charisma now covers itself and Speech? In that case, time to request a whole load of charisma battlestims! :D
Code: (Charles Leroux) [Select]
Missions: 2 (Ice-9, Assault and Defense of Hephaestus)
Timeskips: 1 (Post-Conquest of Hephaestus [1 Year])

Strength:-1 [-1 initially]
Dexterity:0 [0 initially]
Endurance:0 [0 initially]
Charisma:+3 [+2 initially, 15 points]
Intelligence:-2 [-2 initially]
Willpower:0 [0 initially]
Fate:0 [0 initially]

Intuition:+2 [+2 initially]
Handiwork:-1 [-1 initially]
Conventional Weapons:+1 [0 initially, 10 points]
Unconventional Weapons:-1 [-1 initially]
Exotic weapons:-1 [-1 initially]
Auxiliary Systems:0 [0 initially]
Medical Tech:0 [0 initially]
General Knowledge:0 [0 initially]
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2015, 04:57:53 am »

@Xan Dunno; probably best left as +2/ -3 to spread (since that would be playing to the original balance intended by the system - either fair 15-point-exchange three -1s, or you dare dump anything on your own risk at decreased point exchange efficiency).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2015, 06:17:59 am »

@Piecewise Alternative proposition: Another free +1/-1 before the gradual penalty increase kicks in. (Probably not for increasing +1 over to +2, but only if a second skill gets bonus.)

This proposal works for me as well

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2015, 07:54:26 am »

Wait, so two plus ones are the equivalent of one +2? That dosen't make much sense at all. And it doean't seem like it's correct at all according to the rules.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:01 am »

Empiricist: Unless I'm wrong again, the Heph Assault is a mission, the Heph Defense is a mission, and the boarding action is a half mission, meaning you should have another full level up in there.

Wait, so two plus ones are the equivalent of one +2? That dosen't make much sense at all. And it doean't seem like it's correct at all according to the rules.

Two plus ones are equal to +1 -> +2, but 0 -> +2 is three +1s.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2015, 07:58:37 am »

Could you try explaining that a bit better? Because that makes zero sense to me right now. Are you saying the two plus ones do use three minus ones or are you saying that they don't and only use two?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:08 am »

Ehhh, are we talking about the point buy or the character generation system (or even the proposed change)? I am totally confused now.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2015, 08:02:56 am »

Could you try explaining that a bit better? Because that makes zero sense to me right now. Are you saying the two plus ones do use three minus ones or are you saying that they don't and only use two?
Ehhh, are we talking about the point buy or the character generation system (or even the proposed change)? I am totally confused now.

I'm going to assume for a second we're talking about point buy, because chargen is like that except with an extra stipulation.

Going up from 0 to +1 costs five points.  Going from one level to the next costs five points more than the previous level.  So to get to level...

0 to 1: 5 points
1 to 2: 10 points
2 to 3: 15 points
3 to 4: 20 points

Going straight from 0 to level 2 or higher means you have to pay the costs of every level, so it's cumulative.  So the TOTAL cost of going up from 0...

0 to 1: 5 points
0 to 2: 15 points (5+10)
0 to 3: 30 points (5+10+15)
0 to 4: 50 points (5+10+15+20)

Clearer?

EDIT:  Oh yeah.  Chargen works the same way, but every shift (since you have to take a -1 for each +1 you take) beyond the first costs one additional -1.  So if you want...

1 +1:  1 -1
2 +1:  3 -1
3 +1:  6 -1
4 +1:  10 -1

And at chargen, nothing can go beyond -2 or +2.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:07:59 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 08:21:26 am »

Preliminary final, pending rule changes

Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:09 am »

Ah.

I've decided I hate this new system.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 08:37:30 am »

Ah.

I've decided I hate this new system.
how so?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2015, 08:40:46 am »

The character gen's values don't add up. The way I understood it was for every +1 you'd get a -1, then for every +2 you have to get -3 cumulatively. but the bonus only count for one value, so for example, you get a +1 and a +2 and in total you only take four points of a malus.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2015, 08:42:52 am »

Don't think your bonuses separately. Just count them together and calculate necessary maluses from there.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2015, 08:44:26 am »

That's the thing, there's just no real point to make a character with anything more than a single plus one or else you're neutering yourself in a bunch of other stuff.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2015, 08:47:11 am »

That's the thing, there's just no real point to make a character with anything more than a single plus one or else you're neutering yourself in a bunch of other stuff.

Which is why I suggested that players be granted one more shift before the penalty started kicking in.  That said, I understand why PW did it; to avoid people trying to minmax lots of -2s into skills they'll never use for bonuses to skills they will use a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32