Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The CBS show Jericho  (Read 3929 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
The CBS show Jericho
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:34:00 am »

I've got to know, I've heard some people never heard of this show. Appearently it did bad on the nelson ratings or whatever. So, Who here hasn't heard of this show, who likes it and why, and who doesn't like it and why.

That way, I can see with my own eyes the statement that "it was in a bad time slot blah blah blah" that people claim.

I like Jericho because I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction. The issues it raises with governmental abuses and actions I find very entertaining. I think the acting isn't bad (Not excellent, but not bad), the writing is good (there are a few small holes, but still relatively good.) and the show is generally engaging, keeping you guessing.

So, Any other comments?

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: The CBS show Jericho
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

I watched the first season, and I thought it was pretty neat.  It might have made a better book, though, if that makes any sense:  The pacing felt kind of off.

But then again, it was the -only- other TV show I watched at the time besides Lost, so I guess I must have liked it anyway.  Good theme, just didn't hold my interest so much.

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Sowelu ]

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

I watched the first few episodes of both of those shows, neither of them held my attention for too long, I'm not a fan of TV.

Now if you want a real bad show, watch The Big Bang Theory.  Apparently "Smart People" jargon counts as humor now(An example of a "joke" in this show is "I'm making a model of what DNA would theoretically look like in a silicon-based lifeform" I'm not joking, that was a joke in the show, and people laughed.  And the theme song sucks, it sounds like a Kids Discovery Channel science show's theme song.

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

Is there even any evidence of a naturally-occurring silicon polymer?

I've read stories of silicon-organic polymers, but it's the "organic" part that provides the polymerization and nanotech wizardry that puts the two together.

There may well be silicon polymers in nature -- or possible through natural processes -- and I just don't know about them.

Hmm, not too fertile ground for comedy there either way ...

Edit: Jericho sucked.  Saw 1st 2 episodes.  People from the country are far more resourceful, self-reliant, and in particular self-organizing than the show gave them credit for.  The odds of anarchy breaking out in middle America are slim to none.
People in small towns are also wary of those from the city.  They could realistically have been shown acting with neighborly concern toward each other yet callous disregard for large groups of outsiders, as happened with the blockades small towns set up to keep out Katrina refugees.

What I'm getting at is that country people are good and bad, like people everywhere, but not in the way Jericho depicted.  When everybody knows everybody a huge, traumatic event naturally brings people in a small community together.  They wouldn't turn on each other Lord-of-the-Flies-like and have to be "saved" by some brave lone voice of reason -- but when outsiders show up, people they don't know, then you could get them to start behaving badly in a way that was credible.

I could also be misremembering, as it was a long time ago and, thinking it sucked, I've never thought of Jericho since ... but I vaguely recollect the reason for it sucking.

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Forumsdwarf ]

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

I wish Jericho's post-apocalypse looked more like fallout's charred, dead, inhospitable landscape instead of a Nevada desert. I've never watched it though because prime-time TV isn't my thing.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

It's basically capitalizing on the fact that everyone on Earth is stupid, and stupid people like smart things, so they can feel smart.  They also like funny things(Although the enjoyment of humor isn't exclusive, thank goodness), and when you get the two together, well look out.
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Oh thank god someone else is offended by The Big Bang Theory.

My (astrophysicist!) ex is convinced that it's a good show, since it at least lets people think a little bit.  Or if nothing else, it gets scientific terms into the general public's head every once in a while.  And yeah, I can admit it was pretty amusing watching a couple nerds arguing about the physical model underlying the enormous heavy dresser they were trying to efficiently, unsuccessfully push up some stairs.  Probably because of been there/done that...

But mostly it's just annoying, the science jokes are only funny if you don't get them, and the rest of the humor is standard sitcom-grade "Nerds all play Halo and are misogynistic! And then they get beaten by the girl they didn't think was good enough to play with them! HIGH IRONY!"

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

Yeah, that episode bugged me because it was so obvious.  You could see it coming a mile away and people still laughed.  I remember the silicon one now, it wasn't the joke.  The joke was that his mom walked up behind him and said "But intelligently designed by a creator right?"  That's stupid, it's become so fashionable to make fun of religion, lately.  My Christian friend laughed at the scene in Family Guy where the doctor held up the chart with the line of mental retardation, and under retardation was Creationists.  As long as someone's being made fun of, I guess...  I hate people.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I wish Jericho's post-apocalypse looked more like fallout's charred, dead, inhospitable landscape instead of a Nevada desert.</STRONG>

I'm missing the distinction here.

Anyways;
I know a Catholic who'd like to think he's devout (note:  he spends all his time drinking, doing drugs, and trying to screw a girl while she's wearing a gas mask.  It is his personal dream to become perpetually drunk.  I'm not making any of this up), and he can't understand why anyone would be a creationist.  He thinks they're the dumbest folks out there (well, perhaps aside from me), and laughs at them every chance he gets.  

It has apparently not come to his attention that they're reading the same book he is.

Hmm...  There are a few more things I'd like to add about this guy (the explain some of his behaviour), but it's wildly off-topic and just a bit self-centered.  I can't think of much on-topic stuff to add, since none of my family watches TV.  I hadn't heard about any of these shows (well, except Lost, but that's mainly because the advertising won't let you not know about it, and MAD magazine did a parody of it, in which they failed to follow up on a promise made in a previous issue.   I wonder if this is a new record for off-topicness).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>

I know a Catholic who'd like to think he's devout (note:  he spends all his time drinking, doing drugs, and trying to screw a girl while she's wearing a gas mask.  It is his personal dream to become perpetually drunk.  I'm not making any of this up), and he can't understand why anyone would be a creationist.  He thinks they're the dumbest folks out there (well, perhaps aside from me), and laughs at them every chance he gets.  

</STRONG>

Ghandi says:
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

It's sad that as a Christian, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

This is probably the wrong time to remember hearing about how Gandhi was a racist...  A very outspoken racist...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Just looked that up, owned.
They put a stop to sati, you'd think they could put a stop to the caste system.  Did you hear about the bus that drove off the cliff?  Everyone died because they wouldn't share a rope to climb out.
Shoes...

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

Alright people, bring the train back on the track.

Just a little more,  now to the left, Alright good!

I personally love(d ... bastards) Jericho.   The series finale was a big let down though,  however I'm a fan of PA fiction,  I was really expecting more of a break down though,  we'd like to THINK we'd be able to handle it, but as said in MIB,  "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

I don't think Jericho reached a lot of people though because Post Apocalyptic Fiction is kind of a Niche genre, you either hate it, or you love it.  (Zombie Apocalypse movies not withstanding, almost everyone likes those.)  And really it was less of a "Bang! BOOM!" (explosion) show, as it was about how at least this one town that you're focused on is handling it.

Personally, I hope they can get Sci-Fi to pick it up again on Season 3.

On a side note, if you like reading and PA, I suggest the following books:  

• Alas, Babylon
  • The Earth Abides
  • Cat's Cradle (well kinda anyways)

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]