Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 3 - Turn Based Colonisation Game - Year 3 - Summer  (Read 19161 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Heretics of Hexland 3: Time To Hex
A game of colonisation for 4-8 players

Sign-ups open for a turn-based colonisation game in a fantasy world. Each player controls a rival expedition from a civilisation of their making. Each expedition is made up of one species that is beholden to a heresy. These civilisations vie for control of Hexland. If you want an idea of what this looks like, check out the last game. Think of this as a mixture of Civilisation, Small World and Diplomacy.

Game basics: The aim of the game is to achieve the most victory points. Victory points are typically gained by expanding and conquering hex tiles. Doing this requires actions; a player can take as many actions as they have population. Thus, the game is about expanding, while protecting one's ability to grow their population through harvesting crops.

Spoiler: Civ Creation Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heresies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Species (click to show/hide)

The game takes place over five years, after which the New Age will begin, as all heresies agree. Each year is made up of four seasons (spring, summer, fall, and winter), and each turn takes exactly one season. (So each player gets 20 turns in the game). On your turn you may take a number of actions equal to your population number. Increasing your population mid-turn doesn't give you additional actions for that turn. You have a maximum population equal to 1 + the number of tiles you control + the number of cities you own. You have a minimum population equal to 1 + the number of cities you own (your population can't be forced beneath this number).

On your first turn, pick a coastal embarkation point that is on land and not next to a tile owned by another player. Embarking doesn't cost an action.

Spoiler: Actions Explained (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Playing and winning (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Map and Key (click to show/hide)

1. Rolepg
2. Urist Arrhenius
3. Cerapa
4. Toaster
5. Persus13
6. Peradon
7. Monk12
8. NQT

Replacements
- [Could be you!]

Turns will be processed at the end of each season. If a player does not submit an action within 36 hours of the last turn, their go may be taken by the mod. If a player is skipped twice in a row, they may be put up for replacement. When (as in the early game) your turn couldn't be constrained by the actions of players earlier in the turn cycle, feel free to submit your actions for the season out of turn. As a strict order of action resolution is maintained, feel free to edit your season's action if someone earlier in the turn order posts their action after you. Actions are always submitted publicly, but players are allowed to communicate privately if they wish as well as in-thread. It is possible to end the game prematurely through diplomatic resolution. Any queries, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:24:13 am by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 3 - Turn Based Colonisation Game - Signups 0/8
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:43 pm »

Player Order
Spoiler: The Divine Swarm - NQT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cobalt Warders- Monk12 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Babelians - Persus13 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Morkwind - Peradon (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:25:46 pm by notquitethere »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:54:45 pm »

Reserving maybe.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:06:18 pm by Pencil_Art »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:33:04 pm »

Question.

For Djinn and Parakeetkin, do the Fields, when Harvested, turn back into Deserts/Forests, or into Plains?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:41:49 pm »

They turn into fields plains rather than forests/deserts
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:48:28 pm by notquitethere »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »

They turn into fields.

...Read my post again...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 12:39:08 am »

They turn into fields.

...Read my post again...
Gotcha. Fixed.
Alright. That's quite interesting, actually. More for Djinn than Parakeetkin but still.

Can Scorched Earth be used to make Ocean Tiles into Desert Tiles?
Can Poults Grow Fields anywhere they have cities, or only so long as the cities are on Plains?
Can a tile with Fortifications built on it that was conquered have them rebuilt?
Do Impossibulls, when they leave the game, cause any tiles they've claimed to be unclaimable?
Can Deluge be used to turn Ocean Tiles into Lake Tiles?

I really want to play Arid Merfolk, because their species bonus is actually fairly helpful, or it would be if Arid didn't kinda suck compared to Levellers. I mean, Arid doesn't actually kill off Ocean tiles by using Shore Up, Reclaim costs two actions compared to Scorched Earth's one...and of course there's the whole 'turn all tiles made into Desert into plains, use to grow/harvest, on very last turn Raze fuckin' everything' for Levellers. And then Arid has no favored terrain, to boot. (I suppose it might just be that with Merfolk, Levellers becomes better by far, but...)

Aquatic's strange too, sorta. It wants everything to be Lakes, but it has ways of making Lakes disappear? And can't trap ocean to make Lake? Similar with Shakers, but Mountains can be good to be disappeared, and it can destroy cities/fortifications too.

Hard to choose between Builder Mabbling Mooks, Heterodox Mabbling Monks(which entirely depends on what everyone else grabs for their effectiveness...), and Leveller/Arid Merfolk(because self-loathing/habitat destruction of that nature makes me chuckle).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:00:38 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:14:10 am »

Eh, screw it.

Should be fun.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:00 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:32:25 pm by Urist Arrhenius »
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 06:05:58 am »

I am totally in. There are certainly a lot of changes. Summer having both expansion and conquest in particular is gonna change a lot compared to the last game. I'm gonna have to do some serious thinking on what species and heresy to pick.

Does the minpop no longer grant population on its own?

EDIT: Just read that you can't build more cities unless you have the pop for it. Awesome. This is gonna be fun.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:09:10 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 11:43:51 am »

Sorry about the double post, but I thought this warranted a post of its own.

General Observations:

-Bountiful and Poult might be crazy strong, as they can build cities and not worry about crippling their growth.
 -The first season most can only improve and grow food. I would have suggested starting on a desert next to a river, but it seems none exist. Good job on foreseeing that.
 -Farming is actually important now. This might be really, really cool.
 -The dichotomy this time is between expansion and improvement. Will most likely lead to heavily fortified core territories, which I like.
 -What's up with the builders getting a free improve in the fall? I assume it's an oversight and should be spring?
 -Swine ability now stronk

Openers:

-I think I did the same thing the last time, but I wanna test out all the possible openers. They are made with the thought that population matters most in the early-game. Actions are divided and counted in terms of expand and improve, since those are what matter in the beginning. Free denotes that you aren't forced to use them.

Standard - Every combination that doesn't affect growth or the first year
-The standard opener includes damn near everyone. Interestingly even standard bountiful, as they can't expand before summer, nor during it if they were to forage, so they have to farm like everyone else.
 -The standard opener allows for a maximum 2 cities, a maximum of 3 tiles and 4 improve actions to make on those, and a start of 3 pop for the next year. The spring improve might not count for much though, as the first tile must be a plain, and cannot be made into a city. You could extend a river to irrigate a nearby desert though, but that would require additional actions to take it later.
 -Standard builder(assuming free spring improve) can use the spring to turn a desert into a field, by channeling a river, irrigating and growing.
 -Standard letterbeast can use the spring improve to expand
 -Standard spider can replace any free expand with improve

Standard Human
-Not particularly more powerful than standard start, but way more expansion and improvement. It might be the early push to make humans dominate.

Bountiful Human
-Only marginally better than standard human start.

Bountiful Letterbeast
-Parity with human population
 -If willing to sacrifice 3 improvement and 3 expansion actions for species ability, then superior to Bountiful Humans.

Standard Swine
-Parity with human population
 -If willing to sacrifice 2 improvement and 3 expansion actions for species ability (and another heresy), then superior to Bountiful Humans.
 -Strong start with a strong species ability, IMO better than Letterbeast

These are all the non-standard starters I found. Others can shuffle their actions around a bit, but cannot gain additional population, nor any huge gains in actions. Overall I like the balance, with no particularly superior starters.

I will have to think some more to come to a decision on what combination to pick. I am considering Vile Mabbling Monks for some crazy bonkers enslaving and sacrificing. I kinda want to do something crazy with apostates though. Last game was fun, but I'm not going to just start growing another forest this time.

EDIT:
Apostate (Co-Opt, Enslave) Mabbling Monks

Crazy cult built around enslaving other species and using their strengths, oh yes.

Gentlemen, I AM THE BIG BAD OF THIS LITTLE STORY HERE

(I am assuming that the Mabbling Monk thing would count for all the Enslave actions on a turn? Otherwise it would just be an extra action each season)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:00:03 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »

Rolep
Can Scorched Earth be used to make Ocean Tiles into Desert Tiles?
No, I've updated the OP to make all heresies clearer on this point: it's only the arid who can change ocean tiles. Note also, that if any number of ocean tiles are blocked off from the rest of the ocean then they'll turn to lake tiles.

Can Poults Grow Fields anywhere they have cities, or only so long as the cities are on Plains?
Poults don't change the rules for where you can build fields. They still have to be on the plains.

Can a tile with Fortifications built on it that was conquered have them rebuilt?
Yes. Conquering destroys fortifications, but it doesn't prevent them being rebuilt.

Do Impossibulls, when they leave the game, cause any tiles they've claimed to be unclaimable?
No, their tiles just become neutral territory that can be expanded to by anyone. In fact, an impossibull would quit out if they though their territory was about to be taken.

Can Deluge be used to turn Ocean Tiles into Lake Tiles?
No. I've now made that clearer in the OP.

I really want to play Arid Merfolk, because their species bonus is actually fairly helpful, or it would be if Arid didn't kinda suck compared to Levellers. I mean, Arid doesn't actually kill off Ocean tiles by using Shore Up, Reclaim costs two actions compared to Scorched Earth's one...and of course there's the whole 'turn all tiles made into Desert into plains, use to grow/harvest, on very last turn Raze fuckin' everything' for Levellers. And then Arid has no favored terrain, to boot. (I suppose it might just be that with Merfolk, Levellers becomes better by far, but...)
Now that I've made it clearer that Arid are the only ones who can affect ocean tiles, perhaps they seem less underpowered?

Aquatic's strange too, sorta. It wants everything to be Lakes, but it has ways of making Lakes disappear? And can't trap ocean to make Lake? Similar with Shakers, but Mountains can be good to be disappeared, and it can destroy cities/fortifications too.
Aquatic's ability to make oceans is a sort of tactical extra: their two powers are both useful for creating lakes regardless.

Cerapa
Does the minpop no longer grant population on its own?

EDIT: Just read that you can't build more cities unless you have the pop for it. Awesome. This is gonna be fun.
That's right. So farming is now a necessity for everybody.

-Bountiful and Poult might be crazy strong, as they can build cities and not worry about crippling their growth.
Poult doesn't allow you to build a field on a forest tile though. I've now made this clearer in the OP.

-The first season most can only improve and grow food. I would have suggested starting on a desert next to a river, but it seems none exist. Good job on foreseeing that.
That was one of my map-building rules this time. Along with only having one grouping of three of each of the same kind of tiles on the map.

-Farming is actually important now. This might be really, really cool.
Hopefully!

-What's up with the builders getting a free improve in the fall? I assume it's an oversight and should be spring?
Good spotting. Changed that to Spring.

-Swine ability now stronk
Yes, though the max pop is still capped by cities and territories and lots of other species are better at expanding and conquering.

These are all the non-standard starters I found. Others can shuffle their actions around a bit, but cannot gain additional population, nor any huge gains in actions. Overall I like the balance, with no particularly superior starters.
That's promising.

(I am assuming that the Mabbling Monk thing would count for all the Enslave actions on a turn? Otherwise it would just be an extra action each season)
Yes. I've looked over the heresy list and I don't think this would break any of the heresy use (especially as the Mabbling Monks go last on any tied order). Enslaving is already fairly expensive when used against any moderately defended tile. (I hope I don't come to regret this decision...)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 12:50:18 pm »

Urist
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
That's all good. Just a small note, just so I'm sure you're aware of how the mechanics work on this point: if you use the Parakeetkin's ability to grow a field in a forest, it will destroy that forest (turning it into a field, which when harvested will become a plain). So I guess your turns will looks something like: Spring: grow in forest/plains. Summer: expand/conquer into a new forest and forage that forest. Fall: harvest. Winter: create new forest tiles etc.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 3 - Turn Based Colonisation Game - Signups 3/6
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 01:16:39 pm »

Spoiler: Four Legs Good (click to show/hide)

I shall build a grand glorious city filled with cameras so we can keep tabs on you all.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:54:55 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15