Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: (ISG) Fantasy Suggestion RPG: Back To The Baron's Castle  (Read 20380 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Fantasy Suggestion RPG (with bad art!)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 04:46:05 pm »

Ask Hera what she's reading, ask Mal about the star charts, then carefully look through the telescope without touching it.

((Yeah this is pretty great, I like the parts when you go for detail.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:10 pm »

Both asks and try to comunicate a desire to learn a few words. So you can carry around yes, no, and introduction flashcards at least.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 08:30:24 pm »

Gerald indicates he's interested in Hera's book, pointing and tilting his head quizzically. Hera looks back up at him. “Oh, this...? It's a book about the celestial bodies. Do you know about astronomy, uh, Gerald?” At the shake of his head, Hera launches into an explanation.

“You see, the stars and planets in the sky are inextricably linked to magical forces and beings on earth. When something important is happening here on Earth, we can learn of it in the night sky. Here, look.” she says, and shows the book to Gerald. It's an old book, with tarnish silver gilt on the edges of the pages. There is a two-page spread, faded with age.

“The stars show the fates of great wizards and heroes, of monsters, forces, and greater powers. New stars appear and old ones die, and some remain constant.” Hera explains.

“Yes.” says Mal from across the room, “And recently, we've seen a host of new stars appearing in the night sky. A white pulsar, a faint red, an ominous green and a large black has begun to pulse where previously it had lain dormant. Do you follow?”

Gerald nods. Mal gestures for him to come over, and soon he is explaining the charts he's going through.

“Here, in this quadrant, we see the emergence of new stars. Their proximity means they're quite close on Earth – that they all appeared at the same time is an omen that cannot be ignored. Which is why we're here. We must know if these celestial events will affect us.”

Mal appraises Gerald for a moment. “Are you learned in lettering?” Gerald shakes his head. “Pity.” says Mal, “We could use another set of hands around here.” He returns to poring over the charts.

It's clear these two are intent on their research, so Gerald checks out the telescopes. Sadly, it's midday, so they can't really see anything interesting in the sky. The devices are fascinating, though, and Gerald careful plays with it for fifteen minutes or so. Mal looks up at Gerald as he starts to leave, and tells him “Perhaps come back later, after dark, and you'll be able to see a marvelous sight.” Hera waves, and then Gerald is off to...Where? This is the last location we can visit before the day is over and more mandatory plot happens, so choose wisely! Or don't. ;) You can already communicate the concepts of yes and no easily. An introductory flashcard would be a good idea, come to think of it. It poofs into your inventory retroactively, though it will only be useful to literate people.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 10:59:13 pm »

To the guard house! Meet the captain.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 12:45:43 am »

We were just in the guard house. Go to the kitchen.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:32 am »

We were just in the guard house. Go to the kitchen.
Oh. +1 to kitchens.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 03:03:18 pm »

Gerald goes down to the kitchens. It's a bustling place full of activity. The head cook is directing a dozen servants in the preparation of a large meal; unsurprising given that the Baron's retainers have all gathered to meet. The kitchen is quite large, with several fire pits. Large iron cauldrons bubble away, and a pair of deer roast away on spits over cookfires.

It's not long before the head cook notices Gerald, and tells him to either get out or start peeling potatoes. Since he's got nothing much better to do, Gerald complies and is soon seated in a corner of the kitchen peeling the biggest potatoes he's ever seen and listening to gossip.

“-usual complainin', nuffin' to worry yor head about, moi dear.”
“Heard the squire of Sir Bernard got in a fight with George this mornin'.”
“Light above knows we can't host em' for long.”
“Hope that Malleus goes back where he came from soon, man gives me the shudders.”
“Mind how you speak of your betters!”
“-Doesn't seem to care, honestly.”
“-and he was mad enough about this that he started hitting him!”
“-Dropped right in front of the Baron, what a disas-”

As the evening drags on, and it gets closer and closer to the evening meal, a messenger arrives. It's the same man who arrived at Sir Bernard's manor a few days ago, and he's got a bag of mail. First, he goes to the head cook and hands her a white envelope. “Something for you, ma'am.”

The cook snatches it away hastily and pries it open. “It's from my son.” she announces proudly. “He's been made a bertie!” This draws a couple “oooh”'s from the crowd of staff. While everyone huddles around the head cook as she reads the letter, the messenger comes to Gerald and gives him a curious look. “I didn't expect to find you here. I have a letter for you. Hmm. And no mistaking it – it's for 'Gerald the silent.'. Dunno who sent it – it was just on the mail carriage.”

Highly curious, Gerald takes the parchment from the Messenger. An unsigned scroll, when unrolled depicts a symbol of lines and geometric shapes that mean nothing to him. The messenger leans over. “Looks like magic symbols to me, like the kind you get on the Machinist's stuff. Might be you could talk to Malleus later – he might know something.”

Then the messenger shrugs and takes his leave, shooting one last curious look at Gerald.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:56 pm »

Ask Use interpretive dance to show that we need to find some one called Malleus

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 03:19:16 pm »

This might not be a canonical update.

Sadly, they don't seem to get it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 03:30:51 pm »

Definitely keep an eye out for Malleus, though.

And take that letter to the observatory.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 03:52:26 pm »

Magic. Mal, the local town wizard, is Malleus.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 04:02:29 pm »

Well then, let's take it to him then.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »

This is great and Gerald needs to show off his moves more. Create a dance-based form of sign language.

Well then, let's take it to him then.
Also this.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »

This might not be a canonical update.

Sadly, they don't seem to get it.
YES Morrre Morrrrrrre

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:59:45 pm »

That evening at dinner, the visitors and the Baron's court assemble for dinner.

At the head table, Malleus and Hera are deep in conversation, as is the Baron and his various retainers. Gerald wolfs down his meal, since he wants to talk to Malleus about the parchment he got. Once he's had a couple of bowls of stew, he stands up and walks over to where Mal is sitting and gets his attention.

Mal reaches out and takes the scroll, and looks at it for a moment. A worried expression crosses his face, and he quickly excuses himself and gestures for Gerald and Lady Hera to follow him out. Back up to the Observatory, where he is instantly digging through books.

“That is the mark of summoning for something. How did you get this?” he asks. Gerald shakes his head, and Mal continues flipping through tomes in a rather hurried way. “It bears a certain resemblance to...ah, here we are!” he says. His face darkens.

“Gerald, this mark, it is the mark of a devil. An Eyrines, or fallen one.”

Hera and Malleus both look highly concerned. “Why do you have this? Were you sent it as a threat?” she asks, “Or does someone think you can use it?” More shrugging from Gerald. “Either way,” Malleus says “It cannot be a good sign. I can infer this symbol is diabolic in origin, but we'd have to look through the chapel archives to narrow it down.”

“I'll go to the chapel,” says Hera, “And check the library there – maybe there's information about this.” She leaves, hurriedly.

“Why do you think you received this?” Mal asks. “Wait, nevermind. Just tell me, you aren't mixed up in anything bad, are you?” Gerald shakes his head, the picture of innocence.

“If you find anything else like this, if anything else like this makes it's way to you, let us know, please.” he says. With a concerned expression, he stares up at the night sky. A cluster of stars pulse faintly, white, red, black and green.

Soon, Hera returns with a book clutched under each arm. She places them down on the table, and begins flipping through them. The tomes have ominous looking covers, and are filled with illuminated pictures of rather nasty looking demonic things. Malleus and Hera quickly locate the exact symbol.

“Sycarixian, archenemy of Carcerixian. Siblings cast out from the heavens, each blame the other for their failure.” Hera says, lifting the tome up and showing Gerald and Malleus. There's an illustration of a woman, wearing a furious expression, black and red feathered wings behind her opposite a male version holding a flaming sword. “It says that she was last seen one hundred and fifty years ago, but she was sealed away beneath a runestone in the steppe. She was on a rampage, slaughtering indiscriminately, but a group of champions summoned her brother and with his help defeated her and sealed her away.”

Malleus harrumphs. “All fine and good. But it still doesn't bode well. What of the its star?”
“A faint red star, supposedly” and here Hera points at the star charts. “Here.” They do a quick comparison of the night sky with the charts. “Yes.” says Malleus. “The star is still there. Which means the devil is still hopefully imprisoned.”

Gerald takes a peek through the telescope and sees the distant, sparkling red star. It's close to the cluster of bright new stars, but it shows no activity.

“Well,” says Malleus, “I hope this doesn't mean the fates have bad things in store for you, Gerald. Perhaps it would be best if you...well, you probably do try and stay out of trouble, don't you? Maybe it has a way of finding you.”

Malleus and Lady Hera go over their work once more, and once satisfied, they turn back to Gerald again. “All right,” says Hera, “You'll probably be leaving in the morning, so just in case...” she reaches in her pocket and pulls out a small charm on a string. “Wear this to protect you.” she says. “It should ward away evil influences.”

Malleus nods, reaches over to the table and picks up a glass globe. He briefly waves his hand over it, whispers something, and the globe lights up from within, filling the room with a pale yellow light. He quickly swaddles it in cloth and hands it to Gerald. “And take this, in case it's helpful. Goodness knows what you're in for, but if a mysterious source is sending you diabolic sigils, you'll need all the help you can get.”

They excuse themselves, and Gerald returns, the evening meal having wound down. Sir Bernard locates Gerald in the great hall. “Ah, Gerald. There you are. We leave early in the morning, so try and get some sleep. I'll tell you about what happened on the road home.”

Gerald's sleep is troubled by dreams where he is in the dark, and feels the brush of feathers on the back of his neck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6