Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: (ISG) Fantasy Suggestion RPG: Back To The Baron's Castle  (Read 20478 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Suggestion RPG (with bad art!)
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 09:36:11 pm »

If we feel the feathers again, quickly go light a lantern/torch/candle and see if there's anything there. If there isn't, put out the light source and hide under the blankets until we fall asleep. If there is, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Alternatively, we could just hide under the blankets period.

I love this art style, by the way. It's pretty awesome.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:05 pm »

Once again, you really got a talent. Reminds me of Le Petit Prince.

Please consider a career in writing illustrated children's books.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »

Posting to keep up with it*, quite nice so far.
*Also because diplomancy diplomacy with an illiterate mute seems like a fun challenge.

If we feel the feathers again, quickly go light a lantern/torch/candle and see if there's anything there. If there isn't, put out the light source and hide under the blankets until we fall asleep. If there is, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Isn't he already asleep, though?

Quote from:  Glacies
Gerald's sleep is troubled by dreams where he is in the dark, and feels the brush of feathers on the back of his neck.

Or is he waking up before feeling the feathers?
Take a closer look at this text!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 12:01:07 am »

Thanks for all the praise, you make me squee with delight and rub my hands together as I rock in my chair grinning like a maniac. Update in an hour or so, all going well.
Edit: Maybe a bit more than a hour, but still.

- - -

On the road the next morning, Sir Bernard rides at the head of the pack, with Gerald just behind. “The Baron says that between the goblins out on the steppe and the omens his wizard has warned him about, we're going to bring up the men, keep regular patrols, that sort of thing.”

With a heavy sigh, Sir Bernard continues. “If it comes to the greenskins coming over the mountains in force, we'll have to be ready to meet them.”

Gerald knows that Sir Bernard has never seen any real conflict. The thought of fighting in his homeland clearly does not appeal to him – or for that matter, to Gerald, who has only heard vague stories of the horrible things the Orcs and Goblins have done in the past. A host of bogeymen by all accounts.

As the host returns to Sir Bernard's manor, they're greeted by Sir Bernard's family, his servants, but also in attendance are two strange women. One is clearly advanced in her years, bent and leaning on an ashen staff, clad in gray robes with long, gray hair hanging in a braid over her shoulder. She has a stern frown on her face. The other woman is much younger, and wears a mantle of black feathers. Her hair is dark red, and her complexion freckled. She wears a smug expression.

“Well, this is a surprise.” says Sir Bernard. “Gertrude, it's good to see you again. What are you doing here?”

The older woman treats the knight to a baleful expression. “I've heard about the Baron's orders. Somethin' I think you ought to know about.”

Hastily, Sir Bernard dismounts. “Come in, and we'll talk about it.” The groom collects his horse, and the local priest steps forward. “Sir, do you really want to invite her in? She's a...well-” The knight cuts him off. “I once adventured through the countryside with this woman. Witch or not, she has her heart in the right place. I trust Gertrude Thurlow completely.” He pats the priest on the shoulder. “Don't you worry about it. Now, what is it you wanted to talk about?” he asks, and the knight and the elderly woman enter the manor.

Meanwhile, as Gerald and the other men are generally unpacking, the witch's companion comes up to him.

“Hello. You're Sir Bernard's squire, right? Name's Esther. I'm Lady Thurlow's apprentice.” She reaches out to shake hands. Gerald obliges. “What's your name?” she asks.

There is an awkward pause.

They let go of each others hands and Gerald gestures at his throat and shrugs apologetically.

“You...can't talk? Can you spell out your name?”

Again, shaking his head. Gerald tries to direct her to someone else, and Esther shakes her head. “That's, uh, that's too bad.” After another moment staring futilely at one another, Esther makes a sort of shape with her hand and says “So, does your name start with an 'A?'”

- - -

Ten minutes later, after extensive guessing, shaking of heads and frustrated laughter, Esther wrings Gerald's name out of him. “You really have to pick up this reading thing. Saves us a lot of trouble.” she remarks.

“Anyways, I'm bored.” she frowns. “What is there to do around here?”
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:47:59 am by Glacies »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Too bad she won't be allowed inside the kitchen. Peeling potatoes really seems like her kind of thing...

Else, whatever we do, we really shoul not show her the letter. Or the orb. Or the charm.

No, really.
Don't.

Alright, alright. But in that order.  :P

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

What about the introduction flashcard?

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile

Interpretive dance?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Mime casting magic and/or brewing potions, in an attempt to inquire about witchcraft.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Mime casting magic and/or brewing potions, in an attempt to inquire about witchcraft.
+1

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about the introduction flashcard?

Whoops, sorry! Completely forgot about it – hopefully this won't turn into a trend.

+1

- - -

Using some interpretive mime, Gerald asks Esther about witchery in an arm-wavey sort of way.

Esther's a bit taken aback by Gerald's curiosity, but launches into a slightly wary explanation, getting more enthusiastic as she goes on. “Witchery is a form of magic that's got a lot in common with ordinary wizardry – you can learn spells out of a book, but there's more art to it than science, if you know what I mean? I mean, I work out of a book, but I just sort of intuitively choose when to use my abilities.” She preens. “It's sort of a mixture of spontaneous casting and memorization. We keep a book of shadows, but a witch mostly knows the contents by heart anyway.”

“I'd show you, but, you know, that would be an irresponsible use of my powers,” she states somewhat smugly, “And Lady Thurlow would chew me out.” Esther sighs melodramatically. “And the brewing of potions and stuff,” she waves dismissively, “that's just medicine and knowing which plant does what, it's all mundane, but useful stuff. All learning.”

Having learned a bit more about how witches work, Gerald tentatively takes out the scroll with the diabolic mark on it, and hands it over to Esther.

Somewhat wide-eyed, Esther peers at the scroll. “Uhm. This is, er, some sort of demonic rune? Or, wait, no, there's too many linear marks, this is...is this diabolic?” she peers at Gerald with newfound wariness and curiosity. “You didn't, uh, where did you find this?”

Gerald signs out an 'M' for mail, and after a little bit of guesswork, Esther guesses the correct answer.

“That's, uh, that's pretty creepy.”

One of the servants comes up. “Sir Bernard has called a meeting. You're wanted in the manor.”

Sir Bernard's followers are gathered around in the main hall. Sir Bernard stands at the head of the table with Lady Thurlow at his side. “Men, we've a quest to undertake!” he claps his hands together and rubs them. “Lady Thurlow tells me she's learned of a magical sword that has been laying in the bottom of a pond out in the forests. It will be very helpful if the greenskins invade...as it looks like they will. We're going to go out and get it. Lady Thurlow and her apprentice are going to come with us and show us the way. All of you should go get ready. We'll stay another day, resupply, and then head out again.” Sir Bernard clears his throat. “That's all.” Then, he turns to Lady Thurlow, and remarks “Just like old times.”

The old witch actually smiles.

A murmured mixture of excitement and complaint goes through the assembly. Esther very lightly punches Gerald on the shoulder and goes to rejoin Lady Thurlow. What does Gerald take with him for the next trip? Anything else he should do while he's on Sir Bernard's estate?

- - -

Non-canonical

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile

Clearly, he needs to attempt to take Esther along.
He should also, you know, creatively express doubt that a sword at the bottom of a pond wouldn't be rusty, magical or otherwise. Unless that's its magic.

On a more serious note, maybe express a desire to begin learning to read after this 'quest'?
To help with communication? But actually for magic.

And he should ask roughly how long the trip is expected to take so he can properly prepare.
Take a closer look at this text!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Go get a wood-carving knife or something so we can whittle stuff and stuff. Maybe some paper and drawing stuff as well, and a book so Esther can teach us to read.
He should also, you know, creatively express doubt that a sword at the bottom of a pond wouldn't be rusty, magical or otherwise. Unless that's its magic.

On a more serious note, maybe express a desire to begin learning to read after this 'quest'?

And he should ask roughly how long the trip is expected to take so he can properly prepare.

+1 to above, except I'm sure Sir Bernard will handwave pack us food and sleeping stuff, so the length of trip doesn't really matter too much.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Esther is coming along, since she's the older witch's apprentice.
We can only speculate on the magical nature of this magical sword.
The journey is estimated to take roughly a month, there and back. Lots of very rough, hilly woods to get through.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile

Make sure to bring sufficient noms for the trip, and a warm blanket.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6