Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: (ISG) Fantasy Suggestion RPG: Back To The Baron's Castle  (Read 19317 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(ISG) Fantasy Suggestion RPG: Back To The Baron's Castle
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:26:45 pm »

I'd like to practice drawing, and I'd like to practice writing. So, here's a forum game. Fairly long intro before you guys get to start making choices, I know, but hopefully the world-building in the beginning will give the forum a bit to work with as far as informed decisions.

I can post regular updates with sketchier drawings and rougher writing, or slower updates with slightly better art and writing. Your choice, forum.
---
For you, the world has always been quite small. As a foundling at the local monastery, you were passed to a kindly family of simple farmers. With them, you worked the land, picking up the useful skills of the countryside. As a small boy, it was determined that while you were a decent sort, a hard worker and likely a pious and concerned soul, you weren't talkative, and preferred a solitary existence.

Indeed, you are mute. A sort of primitive sign language is employed by your immediate family and your acquaintances. But before we go any further, what is your name?

In the spring of this year, the local Knight met you by chance, and was oddly taken with you. Despite your handicap, Sir Bernard noticed your general knack for picking things up quickly, and perhaps seeing your lack of back-talk as a perk, he took you on as a squire.

Throughout the summer, you lived at Sir Bernard's manor, attending to his horses, picking up a little martial skill (though not much – the local militia is quite lax) and the general skills a servant is expected to have. Combined with the skills you gained growing up, you have a versatile skill-set. Your only noticeable weak-point is illiteracy.

Generally, it's an uneventful summer. You don't make any close friends at the manor, though the servants are friendly enough. For the most part, you divide your time between the odd jobs Sir Bernard assigns you and solitary leisure.

The many years of peace that have generally blessed the land, however, are interrupted one morning when a messenger rides to the manor.

The man slides from his horse and hands Sir Bernard a scroll case, speaking rapidly as he does so. “We must speak in private, milord.” They disappear into the manor's study, and when they return, the messenger departs after a quick meal, leaving his horse and taking a fresh one. You and the rest of Sir Bernard's men are gathered.

“Fellows, we must depart to the Baron's castle. Be quick about it.” Uncharacteristically serious, the Knight gives orders that the party travels armed, and quickly. By the afternoon, a company of twenty men sets out to the Baron's castle.

That night, Sir Bernard confides in you. “The messenger told me the Baron wants us because goblins have been spotted scouting out the lands nearby. They can only be a vanguard for a larger force – the Baron is worried that the greenskins are going to come over the mountains in force.” He sighs, the worry on his face obvious. “I don't wish to cause a panic, but I am concerned. We haven't seen greenskins over the mountain in a lifetime. I don't think we're ready.”

After a few days travel, the party arrives at the Baron's castle. Sir Bernard quickly meets with the other knights of the land and goes to meet with the Baron, leaving you to your own devices within the Baron's castle. You have a number of places you could while away your time at. Choose one.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:25:42 pm by Glacies »

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Suggestion RPG (with bad art!)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »

Our name is Gerald Brokenheizer.

Go to the guardhouse and see what the guards are up to. Maybe train a little.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:35:26 pm »

((This is not bad art, it's quite good in my opinion.))

Guardhouse, then kitchens for a bite to eat. Then observatory to relax.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »

Observatory, if only to make you draw it :P
Other places first of course.
Crap, how do people get their pencil drawings on to the computer with such fidelity?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »

((Scanners.))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:53:50 pm »

What I mean is, never had much luck with those :(
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »

((Get an art scanner.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:55:19 pm »

Gerald No-Kin (Even when adopted most orphans didn't take on the name.)
Chapel. Priests are pretty learned. Might try reading.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 05:46:01 pm »

That's right, your name is Gerald No-Kin! Of course, you don't often get the chance to introduce yourself, so it's not likely to come up much.

While Sir Bernard is meeting with the Baron, you go up to the Guardhouse. Here, the Baron's local men at arms store their equipment, train, and generally lounge about. Gerald sees only an older man, lean, with an ominous looking eyepatch. He's sharpening a sword on a grinding wheel, and as Gerald observes him, he looks up.

“What do you want?” he grumbles. Gerald shrugs. “Oh, that's right. You're that squire of Sir Bernard's, the one with his tongue cut out. Don't you have anything better to do?” Gerald shrugs again.

At that point, another man comes in. “You're Bernard's squire?” he says with a mischievous look. “What say you and I spar a little?” The newcomer's young, blonde and wears a smug expression. The old man looks wary, but says nothing as the newcomer grabs a wooden sword off a rack and swings it a couple times experimentally. He grins. “Well?”

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:00:37 pm »

Making pencil drawing so easily is a talent in itself IMHO!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:58 am »

I feel sorry for that guy's arm. That sword must weigh like ten pounds with all that metal. Most certainly unwieldy. May as well duel him, we'd have an absurd advantage if he uses that sword and we use a proper one.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:35 am »

Not quite.
...as the newcomer grabs a wooden sword off a rack and...
But don't expect proportions to be consistent or all that relevant, either.
---
Gerald agrees, and grabs a wooden sword off the rack. The smug guy quickly illustrates why he's so self confident, instantly on the offensive. Several quick jabs drive Gerald back, and then, laughing as he does so, the smug guy clouts Gerald upside the head once, twice-

"Enough!" the old man says, rising from the grindstone. "You're done."

The smug guy gives a mock bow, and replaces the wooden sword. "Right you are, Gaffy." He yawns, and leaves. The old man turns to look at Gerald, who is clutching the side of his head. His vision swims a little. Then, the old man says "All right, sit down." and as Gerald sits down, he gets offered a wineskin. A mouthful of watery wine and a moment or two later, Gerald feels better. Gaffy, the old man, looks at Gerald and sighs. "You could use some advice, I guess. Wouldn't want to see that again."

So the early part of the day is spent as Gaffy delivers a lecture on the cruder points of combat.

By the end of the morning Gerald has made some significant improvement. But now that that's over, where to now?

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:07 am »

Observatory

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:20 am »

Go to the stables

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 04:03:24 pm »

The observatory is up a tall tower, and since it's mid-day Gerald expects to find it empty. So he's somewhat surprised to see both an elderly man in the robes of court magician, and a young woman. They look at Gerald curiously as he comes in. The man is tall, wiry and his hair is silvery-gray. He looks well-nourished without being particularly overweight, and wears a couple of subtle articles of jewelry. The young woman has a sharply defined nose, a distinct softness to the rest of the face, and her hair is brown. She wears the clothes of a noblewoman.

“Hello,” says the man, “Who are you?”

Gerald points at his throat somewhat pointedly and shakes his head.

“Ah.” the man looks at the young woman. “This is probably Gerald, Sir Bernard's squire. I heard about him.” The young woman asks “The mute one?”

Gerald nods.

“Allow me to introduce myself, then. I'm Lady Hera, the Baron's daughter. Don't snicker! And this is Mal, he's the local town's wizard. What do you want?”

Gerald shrugs, the universal signal for indifference.

“Well,” says Mal, “Look around all you like, just, don't touch anything without asking, okay?”

Around the room there are a series of telescopes, an astrological globe, a table with star charts, and a bookshelf. Lady Hera is sitting in an armchair, reading something. Mal is studying the star charts, and presumably it's his staff propped up against the table. There's a decent view of the green from here, and the town not far from the castle is visible as well. The ceiling is the most marvelous feature, because from the inside, there isn't one. Bright sunlight streams in warming the room. Gerald recognizes this as some sort of illusion; from the outside, the observatory had a peaked conical roof.

Gerald could:
Ask Hera what's she's reading.
Ask Mal about the star charts.
Look at the green
Look at the astrological globe
Look at the pictures in the various books.
Look at the town.

Pick any 3. Also feel free to request art of specific things from the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6