Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about stone management, getting attached to weapons and a funny story  (Read 1021 times)

Casey_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi everyone.

Firstly thank you to the moderators for allowing me on this forum! I have always been fascinated with Dwarf Fortress and learned how to play it by watching people on youtube. My favorite person is someone called VGpaticus as I find his commentary hilarious and love the way he plays!

So I am currently on year 3 of my first "proper" go at fortress mode and I have run into a little bit of a problem with stone management. I think what has happened is that since the videos I watched were made stone has become a lot slower to move around and I have had a dump set up for ages now but even so there is still stone everywhere. They are moving it so I know it is all set up right, but I was wondering if that is a bit of an old fashioned way of doing it these days. I have set up a stone stock pile and assigned wheelbarrows and have noticed that they will move it a lot faster with a wheelbarrow but I am probably going to have to mine out a gigantic area just to hold the stone as on a stock pile it goes in 1 stone per tile. So I was wondering if maybe I could assign the wheelbarrows to certain dwarfs or to the dump? Alternatively I was thinking that maybe I could remove the top corner of the stock pile then put the dump there and set the stone inside the stock pile to that dump which would start to condense things a little. Do you think that would be a good idea?

I have just set up a military and I think I am going to need to watch a few in-depth video tutorials on setting it up properly, but in preparation I did get my carpenters to craft a few sets of practice wooden weapons. I have no idea if my dwarfs picked them up or not but something I am a bit concerned about is when watching let's plays I have seen dwarfs get attached to their weapons. Does this mean that when it comes to actually fight and I equip the real thing the Dwarf will refuse and charge in with his wooden sword? Would I be correct in assuming that if I was to start giving them steel swords to train with they will end up killing each other?

Finally here is a really weird event that happened in my fortress. I had just found about 30 dwarfs who weren't really doing anything useful so I set them all to plant gathering and sent them out onto the map to bring everything in. This is a process that has taken over a year to finish and is still on going as the area I am in is so thickly covered in vegetation and trees. However, no sooner as I had set them all outside, the first fun came to the fort. It was a werebuffalo, and it was unbelievably powerful! He basically mangled 4 of my dwarfs with one attack. I started to lift up the drawbridge thinking oh well there goes a huge amount of my dwarfs. Although luckily for me he then transformed back into a naked confused human who just laid there as a vengeful dwarf punched him in the head over and over and over. Seriously, that was what the combat log looked like: "Urist punches in the head x 9001" and the human just laid there and took it. Thankfully nothing else has come so far but I was wondering if there is some way of setting up like a panic button that you could press which makes every Dwarf stop literally EVERYTHING that they are doing and run back inside?

Many thanks!

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile

I think the best you can do is make a dump near the area you're trying to clear of stone, otherwise a large stockpile with wheelbarrows. I don't think you can setup a quantum stockpile to work with wheelbarrows (never tried quantum stockpiling, someone else might be able to clarify)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to the forums!

So I am currently on year 3 of my first "proper" go at fortress mode and I have run into a little bit of a problem with stone management. I think what has happened is that since the videos I watched were made stone has become a lot slower to move around and I have had a dump set up for ages now but even so there is still stone everywhere. They are moving it so I know it is all set up right, but I was wondering if that is a bit of an old fashioned way of doing it these days. I have set up a stone stock pile and assigned wheelbarrows and have noticed that they will move it a lot faster with a wheelbarrow but I am probably going to have to mine out a gigantic area just to hold the stone as on a stock pile it goes in 1 stone per tile. So I was wondering if maybe I could assign the wheelbarrows to certain dwarfs or to the dump? Alternatively I was thinking that maybe I could remove the top corner of the stock pile then put the dump there and set the stone inside the stock pile to that dump which would start to condense things a little. Do you think that would be a good idea?

A quantum stockpile will allow you to combine wheelbarrow collection speed with single-tile storage.

I have just set up a military and I think I am going to need to watch a few in-depth video tutorials on setting it up properly, but in preparation I did get my carpenters to craft a few sets of practice wooden weapons. I have no idea if my dwarfs picked them up or not but something I am a bit concerned about is when watching let's plays I have seen dwarfs get attached to their weapons. Does this mean that when it comes to actually fight and I equip the real thing the Dwarf will refuse and charge in with his wooden sword? Would I be correct in assuming that if I was to start giving them steel swords to train with they will end up killing each other?

Training is currently completely safe. You needn't bother with training weapons, just forge a few low-quality copper or iron weapons instead. If your dwarves become attached to inferior weapons, you can currently just order them to equip a specific better weapon.

Finally here is a really weird event that happened in my fortress. I had just found about 30 dwarfs who weren't really doing anything useful so I set them all to plant gathering and sent them out onto the map to bring everything in. This is a process that has taken over a year to finish and is still on going as the area I am in is so thickly covered in vegetation and trees. However, no sooner as I had set them all outside, the first fun came to the fort. It was a werebuffalo, and it was unbelievably powerful! He basically mangled 4 of my dwarfs with one attack. I started to lift up the drawbridge thinking oh well there goes a huge amount of my dwarfs. Although luckily for me he then transformed back into a naked confused human who just laid there as a vengeful dwarf punched him in the head over and over and over. Seriously, that was what the combat log looked like: "Urist punches in the head x 9001" and the human just laid there and took it. Thankfully nothing else has come so far but I was wondering if there is some way of setting up like a panic button that you could press which makes every Dwarf stop literally EVERYTHING that they are doing and run back inside?

You want a civilian alert.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile

Holy schmizzles, werebuffalos you say?  If it was me I'd weaponize that in a heartbeat, them hooves are bloody lethal.

Also, remember that you dont have to move all the stone in your fortress.  It mostly does no harm, and if it hurts your eyes theres always a designation to hide items.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:45:11 am by Bearskie »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

Link your stockpile to several rock-using workshops e.g. mechanics, mason, craftsdwarf (be careful to only order stone-using jobs at this particular workshop). Put the workshops next to the stockpile so your dwarves don't spend their time hauling rocks. Get your dwarves to make stone stuff.

You'll be surprised at how quickly your dwarves go through all that stone.

Stone pots are very useful, so are blocks. Also mechanisms and doors.

To a lesser extent cabinets, coffers, tables and chairs.

Also every dwarf that has been bitten by this werebuffalo should be locked up (Building walls and roofs around the infected works fine) Because the next moon, most of them will actually transform into werebuffaloes.

Werebeasts are quite fun in df2014.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:19:35 pm by Naryar »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Also, remember that you dont have to move all the stone in your fortress.  It mostly does no harm, and if it hurts your eyes theres always a designation to hide items.
This right here. In general I keep a small stockpile for non-economic stones near to the places that use them (mason workshop or craftsdwarf shop for example) in order to maximize creation speed on that end, but other than that I generally just mass hide the stone to get it out of my view.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.