Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question around trading  (Read 994 times)

igglez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question around trading
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:40:51 pm »

I'm fairly new to the game and have only managed to get so far, either realising i've made serious design errors, or one time I was doing pretty well - a werelizard turned my fortress into a ticking time bomb and caused me to start over. Therefore, I havent completed a full year yet.

On my longest save, I think I was visited by 3 seperate traders. The first, told me what has been going on in the world, asked me what items I would like in the future, and told me what items they want me to build (I think?)

But after this occurance, the next traders didnt do this. So my question is, is there some sort of annual dwarf trade visit that always spawns those questions, and are the rest just random visits from elfs and such?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Question around trading
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:20:21 pm »

Only Dwarves actually try to make an agreement with you, and they only come in late fall-early winter. The human and elven caravans are supposed to, I think, but they don't in vanilla at any rate. I feel like there's a fix for it floating around somewhere but I can't find it for the life of me. Maybe someone else knows. Anyway yeah you should only ever make one trade agreement per year in vanilla, with the Dwarves of your parent civ. Were the other trader groups Dwarves? Because that would be strange. Maybe they're from different civs or something.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:34:38 am »

Dwarven caravans come in fall, while elven ones arrive in spring and human ones in summer (none during winter). The first caravan is always the dwarven fall one (well, it CAN be cancelled). Dwarven caravans are always available (to the fortress, they can miss individual years), while elven and human caravans rely on your embark being within trading distance from those races (that can be seen pre embark by looking at neighbors (tab to switch info screens).

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:17:32 pm »

Aye, your first caravan will always be hte dorfs who will always strike trade agreements up (renewed every year).  Elves and humans will come next.  However, if you start at a non-standard embark time you can get the other caravans first.  I've embarked in the winter and found an elven caravan before dorf one. 

Also, the different caravans bring different stuff.  Dorfs will generally carry the same stuff you could embark with, but they usually "generate" other metal items to trade that you couldn't select on embark.  Humans will never have steel and will bring "large" weapons and armor that you dorfs can't equip.  You can still buy these and smelt them down for metal (along with the kitchen knives and other human metal goods).  Elves will only bring wooden and cloth/leather items.  However, they will also bring domesticated exotic animals.  You can get breeding pairs of dangerous war-beasts from the elves if you are lucky.  However, the main use of hte elves is if you start in a wood-poor environment (glacier, wasteland, desert, badlands, evil bioimes).  What little wood you get goes to beds.  Then you trade for wooden barrels, crutches, splints, buckets, etc from the hippies.  All caravans will bring food as well.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:46 pm »

I feel like there's a fix for it floating around somewhere but I can't find it for the life of me. Maybe someone else knows.
IIRC all you had to do was add a matching "liaison" noble position (or at least one with the same responsibilities and whatnot as the dwarven liaison) to any given entity and it will form agreements with you.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:47:17 pm »

Aye, your first caravan will always be hte dorfs who will always strike trade agreements up (renewed every year).  Elves and humans will come next.  However, if you start at a non-standard embark time you can get the other caravans first.  I've embarked in the winter and found an elven caravan before dorf one. 

Also, the different caravans bring different stuff.  Dorfs will generally carry the same stuff you could embark with, but they usually "generate" other metal items to trade that you couldn't select on embark.  Humans will never have steel and will bring "large" weapons and armor that you dorfs can't equip.  You can still buy these and smelt them down for metal (along with the kitchen knives and other human metal goods).  Elves will only bring wooden and cloth/leather items.  However, they will also bring domesticated exotic animals.  You can get breeding pairs of dangerous war-beasts from the elves if you are lucky.  However, the main use of hte elves is if you start in a wood-poor environment (glacier, wasteland, desert, badlands, evil bioimes).  What little wood you get goes to beds.  Then you trade for wooden barrels, crutches, splints, buckets, etc from the hippies.  All caravans will bring food as well.
You can use most human weapons, just not the ones like mauls, two-handed swords, great axes, that kind of thing.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:15:14 pm »

Elven weapons are bad, but still good enough to fight goblins. However they will never kill a colossus.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!