Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 84500 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:30:04 am »

Introduction

The Empire of Arinthia has thrived for many centuries since the glorious conquests of Kaiser Bismarck during its first years. But a new threat from the western isles has placed the entire continent under fear. The Thassalocracy of Min continues to move closer toward their goal of dominating trade, and their leader, the Dao of Min, has issued a direct warning that resistance will be met with due punishment. A united coalition stands against the new threat, and up until now, the balance of power has been preserved. But it is only a matter of time before hostilities break out on a larger scale, and the ensuing chaos will affect the empire at every level.

The Kaiserin, Augusta of Arinthia, has sent forth her spymaster to summon the most talented warriors, Adepts, and scholars from across the land to her court.

How to Play

Between updates, players post actions signalling what their character plans to do. During an update, actions are rolled for, with their results determined by a 2d6 roll. I used a 2d6 because the probability distribution is more normalized, with huge overshoots and dramatic failures being the exception rather than the norm (it's fun having a chaotic game, but it sucks when you roll 3 1's in a row, or destroy the entire countryside with a string of 6's).
The main point, however, is that this allows me to justify an alternative method of action bonuses intended to smooth out the curve and allow for skilled characters to fail while unskilled characters can still roll 6's.

Your character's traits and skills primarily affect the roll by giving one of two effects--extra positive dice and extra negative dice. When an action is rolled, you roll each extra die, and your dice are divided into two sets:
Positive Set = (your first d6 + all extra positive dice)
Negative Set = (your second d6 + all extra negative dice)

The highest die from your positive set and the lowest die from your negative set are picked to be the final results for your action roll. The results are gained from adding the two numbers:
[2] The action is doomed to fail horribly
[3] The action will fail with some adverse effects
[4] The action will completely fail
[5] The action will mostly fail
[6] The action is mostly unsuccessful
[7] The action is moderately successful, bringing you closer to your goal but leaving much to be desired
[8] The action is decently successful
[9] The action is mostly successful
[10] The action succeeds fully
[11] The action is far too successful and may have some negative effects
[12] The action will overshoot completely

In comparison to a regular RtD, the results map neatly over by intervals of 2:
[2] = traditional 1
[4] = traditional 2
[6] = traditional 3
[8] = traditional 4
[10] = traditional 5
[12] = traditional 6

This method leads to some interesting probability distributions, in my opinion. With no bonuses, you get the usual distribution for 2d6, which is a triangle. But with an extra positive die, your distribution shifts toward the higher end, and with an extra negative die, your distribution shifts toward the lower end. If your positive and negative die count are both greater than 0 but equal to each other, then the curve gets sharper. Here's a chart made from 10000 trials for each:
Spoiler: Graph (click to show/hide)
I also have a quick java program I use to calculate the rolls, which you can test here.
Spoiler: Code (click to show/hide)

The World (as known by the civilizations of the planet Helix)

The planet Helix is a pale dot against the sea of stars, orbiting two blazing disks of light known as Char and Ash. Helix is populated by several civilizations, many of which have never associated with one another, but for the beginning we shall focus on the Empire of Arinthia its satellites, in the year 531, over five centuries since the birth of the empire and thus order and justice across its lands.

Spoiler: The Empire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thoughtform (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Misc. (click to show/hide)

Your Quest

Spoiler: The Imperial Province (click to show/hide)

Your characters will begin somewhere near the Imperial Province, chosen by you, although I plan to try and guide the players to the same point to kick off the main quest.

Following a short introductory sequence as a "tutorial" for your character, I plan to present the main quest to the players. Your characters are not explicitly required to accept, but it depends on your character's motives and personality.

Sidequests will be possible, but it may lead to desynchronization or confusion. I plan to introduce a McGuffin so that your characters can talk to each other if you are split up.

Sign-ups

Your character's exact geographical origins are up to you. You are free to design major and minor cities/locations within associated regions, as necessary for your character.

While I made you read a text wall to sign up, I won't force you to write one. I'll prioritize characters with unique backstories over simple ones, but you don't need to write a novella to get into this RtD. Other than the aforementioned prioritization of unique backstories, it's first-come-first-serve.

In terms of archetypes, you will not have to be familiar with Thoughtform in order to acquire it early on in the game. Thoughtform will be an important part of the game world, so it would help to have at least one character in the party with an affinity for it. It's not necessary, however, at the beginning.

Code: [Select]
[b]Character Name: [/b]
(Self explanitory)
[b]Place of Origin: [/b]
(Replace this text with a geographical location and perhaps a city, if you so desire)
[b]Bio: [/b]
(Give a short background, what brought your character to the court of Kaiserin Augusta?)
[b]Specialties: [/b]
(Give your character some specialities here. For every two things your character excels at, your character must be poor at one. Each school of Thoughtform is independent of the others, so you cannot say only "Good at Thoughtform")
[b]Preferred Starting Situation:[/b]
(Tell me where you'd like to start near the imperial province. Are you out logging? Are you just chilling out in an inn? Are you in the middle of an assassination contract?)

Waitlist:
wipeout1024
fillipk

Godspeed!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:39:27 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Renaissance/Fantasy) (Open)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:53:14 am »

Will make a character sheet later.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 03:08:13 am »

Character Name: Maryam Razi
Place of Origin: Shone, Savant
Bio: Growing up in a poor family in Shone, with an alcoholic mother, and a depressed father. While both were well meaning, their inability to financially provide for their children, resulted in Maryam being cast into the streets, where she survived as a prostitute. eventually, she became a courtesan, and part-time information broker, offering her services to foreign dignitaries and nobles. However, after being in a scandal involving a baron, she's come to the imperial province, hoping to find new clients.
Specialties: Attractive, Charismatic, good at sleight of hand. Manipulative. Slow runner, Scandalous, good at spying.
Preferred Starting Situation: In a tavern, trying to find new clients.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:28:11 pm by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:18:00 am »

Bio: Growing up in a poor family in Shone, with an alcoholic mother, and a depressed father. While both were well meaning, their inability to financially provide for their children, resulted in Maryam being cast into the streets, where she survived as pickpocket. Hearing of the Kaiserin's  call, Maryam jumped at the chance for money.
Specialties: Good at sleight-of-hand, good at sneaking, love for money, quick runner.
Preferred Starting Situation: In an alleyway, near an inn.

To clarify, the Kaiserin is sending her spymaster to investigate promising targets in secret. Maryam will probably have to prove herself to be chosen.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:31:17 am »

Bio: Growing up in a poor family in Shone, with an alcoholic mother, and a depressed father. While both were well meaning, their inability to financially provide for their children, resulted in Maryam being cast into the streets, where she survived as pickpocket. Hearing of the Kaiserin's  call, Maryam jumped at the chance for money.
Specialties: Good at sleight-of-hand, good at sneaking, love for money, quick runner.
Preferred Starting Situation: In an alleyway, near an inn.
Ah, ok. I'll edit it.

To clarify, the Kaiserin is sending her spymaster to investigate promising targets in secret. Maryam will probably have to prove herself to be chosen.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 03:40:32 am »

I do believe you messed up your quote there.

Also, seeing what you've written thus far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will note that Savant is located right at the beginning of the Great river, and thus it controls all river traffic heading out from the inner provinces into the Western Sea (and to the Great Delta, which is densely populated). They are very rich provinces with a busy merchant class, but scarce of nobles and other privileged types that are easy to scam and con. So perhaps your character wouldn't lack wealth to plunder, just easy targets. Still a smart move to find better avenues.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:17:37 am »

Spoiler: Willhelm (click to show/hide)

Would this work?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 01:41:47 pm »

Character Name: Zikal Marin
Place of Origin: Vin, barony of Saltar
Bio: Born the son of a Baron, Zikal was sent to an academy of the Order, where he recieved a functional education in the views of the ancients as well as a general awarness in Thoughform and it's applications. Having never practiced it himself, he thought of adepts as lowborn street preformers and magicians, but he himself stooped to a lower level when he learned what had happened at home. Shortly after finishing his schooling he heard news of his father's death, and returned home at once only to find that his younger brother, Rolf, had matrilineally married into a rich family, and his treachorious wife by the name of Celestine Innsburg of Zeon had used her influence and power to usurp his rightful throne. Completely outraged, he ran off into the wilderness of the Black Forest, never to return to his homeland since. He spent his days as a forest ranger, studying the wildlife and making maps and paths for travelers. Most who meet him are unaware of the secret behind his uncanny knowledge and mastery of the outdoors.
Specialties: Ranger, Well Educated, Cynical, Proficient Shapeshifter, Javelineer, Xenophobe
Preferred Starting Situation: Tracking brigands southwest of Tyron
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:00:28 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »

Spoiler: Willhelm (click to show/hide)

Would this work?

It should work, yes. Although mental stats are usually tricky since it's the player that usually does most of the thinking, not the character, "Can't Read" is quite serious, and reflects the reality of the time.

"Can only communicate in vaguely religious sentences" seems more like an RP restriction than a character one, though it is a restriction nonetheless.
"Narrow minded" is only vaguely applicable here. The really zealous members of the order are generally avid readers of ancient philosophical texts and practitioners of the socratic method. But your character can't read, so it's more likely that his views are adopted from the monks, who have a little too much free time for their own good, perhaps.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

True, some of my negatives are more restrictions in how I'll be able to play the character. Are you allright with them or should I try to add a more tangible negative?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 02:42:42 pm »

No it's fine, I like creativity. You actually have too many, in fact. I'd treat the "Can't Read" and damaged memories as the main downsides and the others will be loose restrictions that aren't entirely binding.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 02:54:01 pm »

Alright then. Is there some sort of bible-ish book that the Order uses? A prophet?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

Alright then. Is there some sort of bible-ish book that the Order uses? A prophet?

I plan to go into detail, but no, they don't have a Bible. Just philosophical texts. The Order is supposed to resemble medieval Scholastic thought, but in the absence of direct revelation. There are important figures and saints, but none are universally considered to be prophets by all rites. Think an ancient Greek "unknown God" type of worship, except that rather than having an altar to an unknown God just in case they missed one, they have an altar to the one they determine to be greater than all the others.

I plan to go into more detail on how the Order works in-game, but if you need more info you're welcome to ask.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 03:53:49 pm »

Just one thing to get started. Do they consider this god to still be active, or is a "Lemme just jumpstart this here universe and then I'm off for lunch" kind of god?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 04:26:36 pm »

Like I said, Scholastic metaphysics. One of Thomas Aquinas' key ideas (in real life) was divine sustenance, that God actively sustains the world in its existence because things don't exist on their own. This isn't just a matter of religious doctrine, it naturally flows out of certain logical premises that Aquinas held. Namely that objects are contingent, and they do not exist in themselves and so must derive their existence from something. A unicorn derives its existence from its atoms, which derive their existence from quarks, which derive their existence from some fundamental fabric or something. And eventually as you go all the way down you'll run into a prime mover of sorts, which Aquinas (whose ideas the Order is based off) referred to as God.

So in response to what you said, the Order does not see that as a distinction. That's a purely modern standpoint that doesn't apply to the metaphysics of the time. The unknown God is actively required to make everything exist, and there's nothing stopping him from divinely inspiring people or performing miracles, though evidently he hasn't yet in the game setting. Magic is seen as a natural thing, since it draws upon naturally human capabilities of thought and memory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40