Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 84809 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 13)
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2015, 08:11:08 pm »

Roll 13

"A king, you claim! You ask us to believe that a common brigand slew a king? There isn't even a kingdom nearby, the only one in the whole empire is Ontford! How could it have come from a king?"

Axe man: I said it was a king! King Rutherford of Ontford, two score ago!

This seems like quite a claim. It is true that King Rutherford was assassinated by bandits, and that they escaped, but it all seems unlikely that you would be meeting a killer right here, let alone a killer of at least fifty-two years (about 59 Earth-years) and counting.
The axe seems to handle like a regular axe, in the axeman's hand at least. It has (1) piercing damage and (1) regular attack power. (piercing damage deals the same amount of damage as long as you hit your target)

The Maceman's arm is damaged (3) and broken (cannot use weapon)

You have a blank tome

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories
You have about thirty Hours

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

No action. :( Have some encounter.

You hear the squealing hinges of some kind of door. A heavy one, in fact, that slams into the grass with great force. It must be a hatch.

You look toward the fort, and see two individuals helping a third out of a hatch in the ground. Two of them have long spears, and the other doesn't seem to have any sort of weapon. They are all wearing commoner's clothing, except the unarmed person, who wears a dark green robe.
The robe guy turns out to be an old man with no hair beneath his hood, and a long, snake-like beard. He approaches, with his two followers, and addresses you and not-puppy.
Robe Guy: I congratulate the both of you for your strength, although I must ask--what is the meaning of this? Do you intent to steal from my people, or were you attacked without basis?

You have an charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 14 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Archae nods slowly. He attempts to transform the stick's thorns into snake's fangs (is this possible?), being careful not to prick his finger on them.

[2][6] A simple enough task, really. The walking stick grows
Begger: Wow! That's impressive! Um...
He looks down toward his leg. The beggar is still sitting.
Beggar: You think you could turn my leg into sumthin'? Anything, really. A peg'll do. It causes me a lot of pain right now.

[4][3] Your exploits go mostly unnoticed, attracting a couple of strange looks from townsfolk but little permanent attention. Well, except for one. It looks to be a soldier, dressed similarly to those who had just passed. You expected all of the soldiers to leave but it seems a few have stayed behind to keep watch. The soldier watches your efforts intently, a look of curiosity upon his face. He walks nearer, stopping at a distance of around ten yards.
You notice something just past the soldier's figure, on a wall to his back. It looks like a white sphere, with a round dot in the center. Quite like an eye, actually... but it disappears as soon as your eyes close in. A hallucination?

You have recently used "snake's fangs" in a spell (+1 negative die to repeated casts)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

"The man I must chase and the one with the papers may be one and the same." Leonhard quickly replies, trying to get the conversation out of the way so he can follow after the astrologer. "Now, ya can follow me or pigback or somethin'. I need to find that cheatin', murderin' man arrested or punished." he says, already preparing to move out.

If she follows or pigbacks or stays behind or whatever, it's good. Get to chasing the astrologer down after picking up Klein.

Girl: That's okay, I can ride Karlo...
It is at this moment you notice someone... some thing creeping in through the hall, having opened the door. You are unable to make out its appearance when it first appears, but by the time you are even able to react, the creature dashes toward the little girl, staying low to the floor.

She performs a short hop, and lands on the animal's torso when it reaches her position. Its head is now illuminated by sunlight filtering through the open doorway. Karlo... is a Desert Manta, it seems, about two meters in width, with an even longer snakelike tail folded up and tangled behind it. Its two wings can hardly fit inside the hall, and so their tips simply ride up against the walls. Without a word, the animal lifts itself an inch above the floor, kicking up dust and debris, and twists itself inside the hall to rotate.
Girl: He is much faster than you are. But I need you to spot him for me. Which way did my target go? What is he in?

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Action PMd

[1][2] The nobleman hears a tumbling object behind him. He turns to see a figure clothed in white, clear like a shadow in an ashstorm, fallen on the ground.
Nobleman: An... an angel of light? Tell me it is not an illusion!
He tilts his head forward, but only somewhat, before he reconsiders.
Nobleman: It must be, though...

He draws his sword and swings at you. [2][1] You fail to react in time and take the hit, but [2][3] the nobleman seems to have misjudged the distance between you and himself. The blade lightly grazes your torso.
Nobleman: Are you real?

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:35:03 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2015, 08:26:23 pm »

"A brigand with almost 60 years? Throw down your hoods and prove that claim!"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2015, 10:41:32 pm »

((Okay, I'm stumped on how to manage dialogue and small actions. On one hand, I don't want to pollute the thread with replies since it becomes difficult to tell what else is happening. On the other hand, we don't have too much inter-character interaction at this point except between HEN and Pancaek, so it probably won't do any harm.))

"A brigand with almost 60 years? Throw down your hoods and prove that claim!"

[3][4] The axeman and the two spearmen by the old man throw down their hoods, revealing aged faces and heads in various states of hair loss.
The robed man himself refuses to remove his hood.
Robe Guy: You've no right to order me on my premises. State your intention, travelers!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2015, 01:04:15 am »

I nod twice and take a step backwards, looking up at him silently and hoping he'll ask the right questions or at least stop attacking me.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2015, 08:12:21 am »

((Is it possible to replace his leg with a replica, or heal his leg?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:01:45 pm by Pencil_Art »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:18 am »

((Not a lot of time to dig through the thread and write down a good reply to her, but I don't wanna hold up any turns, therefore:))

Leonhard scratches his beard with the tip of his fingers. "I see. Well, if you really wanna know and you can find him before I do..."

Describe the astrologer and the direction he escaped towards. Then give chase.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »

"You would deny the faithful passage throughout His domain?" Willhelm waves his hand, indicating the ruins of the church "And thus His servants are denied passage, while the dark ones prey upon the travellers of the land, attacking all on sight like the bloodthirsty beasts that dwell inside of their souls."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2015, 07:00:22 pm »

((It is. I suppose it is time to explain Aganis mechanics.))

Aganis is the most beginner-friendly thoughtform on Helix, able to do whatever the mind can imagine. The disadvantages, however, are threefold:
1) Aganis requires creativity, not only wisdom. Each spell must be fully present in the user's mind.
2) Aganis wipes out ideas. Unlike memories, which are gained from experience, Aganis thoughts typically require the formulation of an idea on the spot. This means that Aganis users have a lot of downtime as they recreate lost ideas.
3) Aganis is not as lucid as memory-based schools. Unlike Nereithas or Ignithas, Aganis spells are not as well-defined by their content, and so they are difficult to focus and control. Aganis works best on living animals, then plants, and worst on inanimate objects, primarily based on how different the targeted objects are from the user's kind.

Additionally, there is another way of casting spells: Spell tomes. These are books designed to . To write one, its pages must be formed from wood pulp mixed with either pixie dust or sprite powder. Faerie dust can be used as a substitute, but it requires much greater proportions. One pixie is typically equivalent to one spell tome, while one cluster of sprites typically allows one to make ten tomes. It takes about ten faeries to craft a tome, in comparison.

Spell tomes can have anything written in them, from memories explained in detail to fanciful plans and interpretations. When a spell tome is used, all of its pages are erased, and the spell is cast. Whatever was written in the book's pages is brought to reality, summoned either as an effect or an object at the desired location.

All Adepts can use any of the magical schools, and all humans can do it to some extent. Specializations like Zikal's or Archae's traits give school-specific benefits.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »

"Well... I guess your claim is accurate, or at least falsifiable." Turning to the new shady man, Zikal explained their situation. "There was a shady man who gave the order to attack. We did not intend to stay for long, we simply came for a rest, and happened upon an unguarded chest. We shall trouble you no further." His thoughts, however, were much less cordial. A group of old men hiding in an old castle. One of them even murdered a king! I doubt we will be left un-accosted.

Back away from the old men. Keep a javelin prepared in case of attack.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 14)
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2015, 12:42:22 am »

Roll 14

"You would deny the faithful passage throughout His domain?" Willhelm waves his hand, indicating the ruins of the church "And thus His servants are denied passage, while the dark ones prey upon the travellers of the land, attacking all on sight like the bloodthirsty beasts that dwell inside of their souls."

Robe guy: I grant you safe passage through my barony...
He holds his arm out, as if to suggest the ruins in their entirety belonged to him.
Robe guy: ...if you intend no harm.
The "brothers" all turn toward the robe guy, kneeling before him. Even the maceman abandons his wound and walks out of hiding, kneeling with the others.
[2][4] Robe guy responds again, this time with much more hostility than before.

Robe guy: You ignore my question, however. What is your intention? Who sent you?

You have an uncharged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

"Well... I guess your claim is accurate, or at least falsifiable." Turning to the new shady man, Zikal explained their situation. "There was a shady man who gave the order to attack. We did not intend to stay for long, we simply came for a rest, and happened upon an unguarded chest. We shall trouble you no further." His thoughts, however, were much less cordial. A group of old men hiding in an old castle. One of them even murdered a king! I doubt we will be left un-accosted.

Back away from the old men. Keep a javelin prepared in case of attack.

[3][3] The robe guy responds, albeit harshly.

Robe guy: So that's it... what business had you about my items, then?

You recall the dagger, the crown jewel of the collection in the box. It was ornate, but completely useless as a real weapon. The weighting was completely improper. And such a short blade wouldn't do either way. Obviously ceremonial, perhaps from some cult, somewhere.
And then it dawns on you. The chest was out in the open, surely not a secure place. And the strange person came from a hatch in the ground... a hideout of sorts. Why not keep the chests in there? Why leave them in the open? Why, they must have been decoys... to attract a certain kind of person. Are you that kind of person?
[3][3] Robe guy continues:
Robe guy: You intended to rest? At an old ruin? And once you arrive, you look about, looting chests? I must be paranoid if that is the truth.
He raises his face, revealing a steel gray smile beneath the shadow.
Robe guy: But I suspect it is not. Are you of the Order? Were you sent by that abbot Narma? Or by the wretched highpriest Zelox of Vin? I have no words for your kind but those in my books...

He reaches into his robe for something.

The Maceman's arm is damaged (3) and broken (cannot use weapon)

You have a black empty tome (black tomes must be written in red ink, and gain +2 positive dice if inscribed with an illusionary spell)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories
You have about thirty Hours

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground
You remember a ceremonial dagger

((I assume this is what you want to do, and yes, you can. If you want to dispute this, I can reroll.))

A simple healing ritual should not be that difficult. You know what a leg looks like, you simply need to prepare a mental image to combine it with the man's finger. [4][6] This takes you a quarter of a second, during which your eyes flash green.
The beggar's looks on in anticipation.

You hold your palm open against the crippled leg. In your trance, you utter some words without conscious thought:
Archae: *monotone* Rise, and walk.

The beggar looks upon you in disbelief, but decides to trust you anyway. [3][6] And lo, he stands, his foot morphing almost innocuously to a healed form.
The guard you saw earlier takes off sprinting along the path the soldiers took.

((Note that I've updated your "Mystical Learning" trait to better reflect what I intended as "simple" originally. As in short-ranged))
((The following happens regardless of whether or not you reroll.))

As you finish, you feel a gale wind almost knocking you forward off your feet. You glance to the side, seeing a rapidly-expanding cloud of dust behind... some kind of creature. A flat one, mounted by a short girl with a long, flowing, brightly-colored dress that blends into the dust cloud. A miracle that air drag doesn't knock her off the animal...
Out of the inn comes a dashing trooper, with a huge sword on his back as well as a long gun and a smaller sword with a rather expensive-looking guard. He seems to be coming after the girl, but the creature she is riding is much too fast.

You have recently used "snake's fangs" in a spell (+1 negative die to repeated casts)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

((Not a lot of time to dig through the thread and write down a good reply to her, but I don't wanna hold up any turns, therefore:))

Leonhard scratches his beard with the tip of his fingers. "I see. Well, if you really wanna know and you can find him before I do..."

Describe the astrologer and the direction he escaped towards. Then give chase.

[5][5] You tell the girl what the astrologer looks like. She doesn't seem to pay attention, for the most part, for her attention is focused on the beast she is riding. She seems to be... scratching the area behind one of the ray's upper eyes with the heel of her shoe.
Girl: Black and white guy with a hat. I'll kill any that I see.
The elf pulls a rope from one of many pockets hidden on her dress, then coils the rope through the mouth of the giant ray, around its teeth. Without parting words, he gives the creature a tug and the two disappear in a blast of air. You struggle to keep upright.

[3][1] By the time you leave the inn, the ray has already made it down the center of the road (usually reserved for carts) to the next intersection, having kicked up quite the dust trail. It's far too quick for you to hope to chase, but the astrologer couldn't have gotten far either.
The girl glances both ways and then appears to notice something, disembarking immediately and allowing the creature to dash quickly down the street to the right, past the corner of a pawn shop. She follows it walking, and you notice that her dress has changed color to an earthy brown, similar to that of the road. This capital has mostly dirt roads in the outer wards, with most of the paved ground concentrated around the university and inner wards just outside the walls.
The ray (you remember it's name: Karlo) and rider seem to have missed three alleys aside from the one next to the inn. The one just across the street leads to the supermarket, and you are familiar with it. You think you see a person knocked down out in the distance, just at the entrance to the market, in the midst of a crowd.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

I nod twice and take a step backwards, looking up at him silently and hoping he'll ask the right questions or at least stop attacking me.

The noble brandishes his weapon. It glints in the light from your silhouette.
Nobleman: Jahkob, I am in your shoes!

[5][6] The nobleman betrays your silence and runs forward. He swings his sword in a wide-sweeping attack to keep you from sidestepping, [5][3] but you hop back to avoid it.
Nobleman: If you are truly a messenger of the divine, then my sword cannot harm thee! Why do you step back?

The man appears strong judging by the attacks. If you do get hit, it will hit hard. ((Nobleman gets 2 positive dice toward his attack roll))

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 20)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:59:35 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 7)
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2015, 03:28:10 am »

"To protect you."

I wait for him to ask his next question and attempt to stay out of his blade's reach.

to be clear, this is basically a total defense action while I TRY to make this into an actual conversation instead of some psycho attempting random-murder.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:28:24 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2015, 05:28:37 pm »

Leonhard grunts. Strange creatures and their designs - it's amazing how he has had a fair share of bad experiences with anything that isn't cold steel and good ol' fashioned physical arms warfare, a fact only compounded on by the girl's actions. "Damn it all, girl! Explain what is so important to ya before leavin' me behind!" he groans as he dashes after her, taking a moment to make sure the person who was knocked down wasn't too hurt - not that he'd be able to help anyway.

Pick up Klein, he can't be left behind. Run after the girl and her mount, giving each alley I run past a cursory look. Give the person who was knocked down a quick visual check before resuming the chase.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:14:39 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2015, 05:49:24 pm »

Leonhard grunts. Strange creatures and their designs - it's amazing how he has had a fair share of bad experiences with anything that isn't cold steel and good ol' fashioned physical arms warfare, a fact only compounded on by the girl's actions. "Damn it all, girl! Explain what is so important to ya before leavin' me behind!" he groans as he dashes after her, taking a moment to make sure the person who was knocked down wasn't hurt by the event.

"My bad lad, I'm in a hurry." he offers in lieu of an excuse as he continues to give chase.

Pick up Klein, he can't be left behind. Run after the girl and her mount, giving each alley I run past a cursory look. Make sure the man who was knocked down isn't hurt then resume the chase.

The person knocked down is located in the end of an alley which the girl flew past. The alley serves as a connection between the entry ward and the marketplace.

The two are most likely unrelated.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 14)
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2015, 06:18:22 pm »

Willhelm shrugs, and draws another arrow.

"And so the faithful are tested. They are drawn into traps and assaulted by all manner of spawn of darkness. They will speak nothing but half truths and lies and have their minions prey on the innocent."

He looks at the hooded man.

"Only in your deepest self is the truth of what you can be. And, without a doubt, that truth is terrible to bear."

Knock another arrow. If the robed guy tries any hocus pocus shenanigans, shoot him. If attacked by one of the other guys, defend myself.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 14)
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:27 pm »

What is going on? Archae muses as he proudly watches the beggar walk off.

Archae then attempts to follow the girl on the strange mount.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40