Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 84844 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 28)
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2015, 05:45:10 pm »

Willhelm nods "What need?"

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:15 am »

"Well none of the paths sound pleasant, but I guess the Bone Path can be more easily traversed."

"As for the potions, what would a potion such as that require?"

(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2015, 04:11:57 am »

((How sharp are the thorns?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »

((How sharp are the thorns?))

Sharp enough that they'll break though most clothing, but not enough to stop thick leather or metal armor. The average height of the thorns is about up to your waist.

It will shred your cloak, but the canopy above provides protection from the deadly rays.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:09:17 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 29)
« Reply #319 on: June 10, 2015, 01:40:10 am »

Roll 29

"Well none of the paths sound pleasant, but I guess the Bone Path can be more easily traversed."

"As for the potions, what would a potion such as that require?"

Lily: Opposite of fire is water... opposite of fire-past-tense is wet-past-tense... We need something spongy, not necessarily wet. It just needs to be able to hold water. Maybe from a swamp?

See below for a description of the Bony Way's entrances.

Your whole body is burned (1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Willhelm votes for the bony way. Also, ask Lily if she knows a way to heal him and Zikal.

Vile Spawn of Darkness: Oh, so you are not afraid of the paths I am guiding you across? In that case, let us get going soon...

The Bony Way is a roughly chevron-shaped region of forest originating from when a great flood came through and destroyed a village. A skilled Adept tried to resurrect the townspeople, but instead of bringing back the original people he simply animated their bodies, which were nothing but skeletons at this point. He also animated the livestock, whose bones were incompatible with human skeletons. The resulting creatures were aberrant skeletons that resembled no living being.
You can enter from either of the chevron's points, and your destination is the head, which is a swamp free of thorns and very close to the Lake of Dreams.

The northern entrance to the Bony Way is guarded by a single large pile of bones. There is a chance it could all animate into a single powerful monster.
The southern entrance to the Bony Way is littered with small piles. These could animate into small creatures that are weak individually, but numerous.

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

"I'm not a lawman." he replies. "I just like the inn and your friend got the owner good. At least he seemed dead enough, I'm not a medic. Your pal also lied to me and tried to escape." he continues, giving the astrologer a bad stare as he pulls Klein from his cloak and perches the feline upon his shoulder. "So, aren't ya going to tell him the same story told to me?"

Angstrom: Uh yeah. The guy I sent my papers to for editing, Cherson, you know him?
Marco: He is one of the guest editors at our Office, yes.
Angstrom: Well last night this psycho girl with a desert animal came into my home and tried to murder me. I got away because, well, the animal got in my icebox and started eating meat instead of me. But according this here merc that girl is still on the loose.
Marco: What is the relation to the bartender's killing?
Angstrom: Cherson was over at the bartender's Inn, and I needed to take the papers from him so my attacker wouldn't go for him instead. The bartender didn't give me the keys, so I just tried to use my gun to threaten the man. He tried to take my gun away, so I gave him a good thump. 'pparently he didn't wake up afterward.
Marco: I see. If that is your story, then it doesn't sound premeditated, so you will probably only get ten years at the most.
Angstrom: You're turning me in?! Gee, I thought you'd vouch for me. Let me guess, you're gonna reward the guy who dragged me over here too.
Marco: Indeed. We take our reputation very seriously as one of the most prestigious institutions of the empire.

He turns to you.
Marco: We are able to arrange for either a monetary or benefits as a form of reward, Mr.....

Benefits could include access to the Office's library, access to the Great University (influence can go a long way), or perhaps some sort of exclusive item that money wouldn't be able to buy. Be careful not to ask for too much, or you'll sour your reputation with the Office.

You have a black Cloak of Ash (protects against Ashlight and fire)

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

((Auto'd, unfortunately))

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a red resonance crystal.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

"I have gifted you my strength, the rest is up to you."
Really - it is. She can act better than I can right now.

Efa: Fair enough.

Efa brings a switchblade to bear and (1+1)(4+1) leaps up clumsily onto the bookshelf, making her first move toward the rifleman bandit, who did not expect such an impressive feat of agility from someone whose head was literally shot off.

(5)(1) She attacks, missing the bandit. The bandit counterattacks with his weapon (6)(4) hitting her. (2)(1) She grabs the moving barrel and pulls the gunman off the shelf, right on top of the tentacle horror.
The pistolier in the crowd is finished reloading his pistol, and fires it in Efa's direction. (2)(5) The attack would have hit but (5)(4) the tentacle horror swats the bullet out of the air.

The pistol-bandit starts helping the nearest able knife-bandit in dragging the knife-bandit whose leg is bleeding horribly to safety. He leaves behind a trail of blood.
The tentacle horror grabs the rifleman and keeps him from reaching his backup weapon (a wicked-looking dagger attached to his belt).

The cloaked bandit with the books is flipping through his collection looking for something.
The 7th bandit is still missing.

Efa decides to interrogate the caught rifleman (who happens to be the Headband Guy from before)
Efa: So, you and your fellow freaks make a living stealing books from this institution?
Headband Guy: Indeed, there's so many of em that nobody can find out they're missing.
Efa: I can't speak for the owners, but somehow that comes across to me as illegal.
Headband Guy: They got it coming to em. Hoarding them all here and keeping the rest from reading them. We're doing the world a favor by putting the books into circulation.
Efa: Your society has the printing press.
Headband Guy: Exactly!
Efa: My society had it long ago. It tore our higher institutions apart. Mystics of all flavors published pseudoscientific papers nonstop, eventually driving good journals out of business. The printing press sent us into a dark age.
Headband Guy: Where exactly are you from?
Efa: A city beneath your feet. We call ourselves human as well, but we don't look much the same.
Headband Guy: Did you come up looking to feed your disgusting pet here?
He makes a subtle reach for the knife of his belt, but the tentacle around his arm contracts, causing him pain.
Headband Guy: Okay, just kill me already.
Efa: I have other plans.

The capture thief's eyes widen as Efa pulls out the book she acquired from the librarian a while back. She summons the Math Spirit, a being of pure geometry that doesn't seem to be real, rotating in unpredictable ways as you shift your perspective.
Efa: Wouldn't it be a great idea to convince your gang that this is all... hmmm... a bad dream or trance perhaps? That your friend really just went off far away, and that you never really decided to be bandits? A group hallucination, let's just say.
Headband Guy: Make it stop, just wake me up already!
He falls asleep. Efa shrugs.

Efa: Men are not dangerous because of who they are, but what they believe. Isn't it fantastic how a society leagues ahead of the surface world can collapse in on itself just because of one good invention? It only takes a thought for people to destroy themselves.

One bandit is now a Nightmare Sentinel (Can't move, +2 posdie to attack. Can block attacks aimed at nearby friendlies)

Efa's cap is destroyed (no longer absorbs damage)
Efa has a long rifle and 8 bullets (4 attack power)
Knife Bandit B's destroyed leg is dealing damage to his torso (+1 damage/turn)

It is the 4th hour after noon. Ash is blazing bright in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 32)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:44:26 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 29)
« Reply #320 on: June 10, 2015, 03:35:27 am »

I wait to see with my own eyes how effective the Math Spirit really is. also to see how much it resembles myself.

"Just because something isn't real doesn't mean it isn't dangerous."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:37:39 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2015, 05:41:13 pm »

"Leonhard. And thanks, I guess I'll take a moment to think 'bout it. We do need to check whether the innkeeper was dead or just nearly-dead. I've seen people look dead and act dead in the field then spring back up later with a headache and a funny way of talkin'. I'm not a doctor." he says while petting Klein.

After giving Marco his name and an answer, he then turns his attention back to Angstrom. "Oh yeah, how about ya pal Cherson? Was he out and about when ya went to check for the papers? I didn't see him. And aren't ya still under risk of being scythed down by the psycho little girl?" The mercenary doesn't seem to have any problem when it comes to talking casually with accidental murderers judging by his tone. But then again, taking in consideration his field of work it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Questions.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »

"Leonhard. And thanks, I guess I'll take a moment to think 'bout it. We do need to check whether the innkeeper was dead or just nearly-dead. I've seen people look dead and act dead in the field then spring back up later with a headache and a funny way of talkin'. I'm not a doctor." he says while petting Klein.

After giving Marco his name and an answer, he then turns his attention back to Angstrom. "Oh yeah, how about ya pal Cherson? Was he out and about when ya went to check for the papers? I didn't see him. And aren't ya still under risk of being scythed down by the psycho little girl?" The mercenary doesn't seem to have any problem when it comes to talking casually with accidental murderers judging by his tone. But then again, taking in consideration his field of work it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Questions.

Angstrom: Right, the girl. She wants the papers, not my blood. Now if you'll just let me...
He reaches for the papers he has with him. If you let him, he crumples them into a ball.
Angstrom: Burn 'em. Just tell Cherson the submission was cancelled. Speaking of the boy, wher'd you last seen him, Marco?
Marco: I believe I heard he was at the University the past few hours. He is probably still reading.
Angstrom: Then I guess I'm not gonna meet him for a while. I guess we can tidy up his room when we're back at the Inn, so he don't need to worry a thing.

Marco eyes the strange, translucent cloaks you and Angstrom wore into the Office.
Marco: I presume those cloaks allowed you to walk the scorching roads unharmed? They must be the work of a skilled Magus. How long do you expect them to last?
Come to think of it, the cloaks are a bit soggy, although they've retained their thickness for the most part.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 12, 2015, 09:36:35 pm »

Leonhard checks out his own cloak when it is mentioned. "Not sure. It was given to us by a man on the road. Fairly pleasant one too, since he did give it to us then fixed the mess he caused while making them. Speaking of which, the inn he took the materials for this was damaged." he answers, rubbing his chin. "Could ya send someone over to check on the innkeeper, by the way? I forgot someone could try to do something to the body since I was too busy chasing your pal."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 13, 2015, 02:25:56 am »

"The small piles can likely be taken care of easily, assuming we we don't upset too many. I feel that path would be the better one."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 13, 2015, 02:28:36 am »

((Sorry.))

Archae continues to think.

Finally, in thought, he turns the resonance crystal over in his hand, and explores it for magical energies and what their purposes are.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 13, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

"The small piles can likely be taken care of easily, assuming we we don't upset too many. I feel that path would be the better one."
Willhelm nods in agreement. "Tiny bones. Good."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2015, 07:43:44 pm »

Roll 30

You pass into the Southern Point, where small piles of bone lie along the sides of a muddly patch of land, broken up by trees but devoid of thorns. This terrain, though unsightly, was cleared during the flood, according to the Vile Spawn of Darkness. You wonder how he knows this, and where it could have gotten that information. Perhaps Wilhelm knew before, but lost that info due to his amnesia.

[5][6] You step in a patch of slippery mud, so fast that you slide and trip. As you land on your back, you start sinking... and continue to sink even after a few moments. It's quicksand!

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Willhelm nods in agreement. "Tiny bones. Good."

Zikal slips and falls into a patch of quicksand! So the ground here is especially wet and has quicksand... Perhaps that is why there are no large bone piles. The larger ones sink.

But if that were the case, the larger bones would not have disappeared, only sunken further beneath the surface...

[1][1] You feel a rumbling beneath the very mud you walk on.

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Leonhard checks out his own cloak when it is mentioned. "Not sure. It was given to us by a man on the road. Fairly pleasant one too, since he did give it to us then fixed the mess he caused while making them. Speaking of which, the inn he took the materials for this was damaged." he answers, rubbing his chin. "Could ya send someone over to check on the innkeeper, by the way? I forgot someone could try to do something to the body since I was too busy chasing your pal."

Marco: Damage is paid for by the planner's committee. Do not worry about the inn. The inkeeper deserves a check-up, however... would you accommodate me on a trip to this inn? I shall travel using one of the filters we use for observing the Suns during these hours.

Should you accept, he brings forth a large black glass panel. Actually, it seems to be a black glass plate trapped within a large sealed flask like those scientists use to hold gases.
Marco: An ashray-absorbing panel suspended within a sealed vacuum flask. The plate will glow hot, but since the flask is devoid of all else, even air, the heat will not conduct. It was a breakthrough in thermal regulation put into use just last year, in fact.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Archae continues to think.

Finally, in thought, he turns the resonance crystal over in his hand, and explores it for magical energies and what their purposes are.

It is the stone you used to communicate with that strange voice you heard. Tapping it, you sense no magical energy, because magic is thought, and crystals do not have thoughts.
What it does seem to be is some kind of means for transmitting thoughts between beings. Non-thinking objects cannot have thoughts, so the thoughts had to have been someone else's before they were sent through the crystal.
It's a communication device!

[6+1][3+1] You try to make simple contact through the crystal, vividly remembering the events that transpired when you first possessed it. Namely, the sky turning red. It happened only the first time, but not in subsequent communication attempts... the crystal itself didn't noticeably change... that suggests your mind had to adjust for the new input. The only reason the sky no longer turns red is because your mind is already configured for communication through the crystal.
Close, Archae.
The words mix with your thoughts. You hear no voice this time... it might be the original sender of the messages, or it could be your mind playing tricks on you.
The crystal is a resonance matrix. You don't need to know how it works. But whenever you are aware of it, I can read and alter your mind. Do not fear, for I will not misuse it. But you must be aware of powers far greater than your own.

The forest ahead of you stands tall and jagged. The trees guarding the ancient lake seem like an insurmountable obstacle.
I command the trees and the hilltops, although my duty lies in the preservation of the natural order. You must learn to surmount the natural order if you are to join me.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a red resonance crystal.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

I wait to see with my own eyes how effective the Math Spirit really is. also to see how much it resembles myself.

"Just because something isn't real doesn't mean it isn't dangerous."

Efa: That's kind of what I said but...
Efa recalls the tentacle horror. Its form returns to the original body of the thief it used to be, and the thief (the former-sentinel) wakes up.
Former-Sentinel: What did you do... My body, it had... You turned me into a monster! Where is everyone!?
(6)(5)/(5) The former-sentinel swings a punch at Efa, (5)(6) knocking her to the ground. The thief then crawls over to the sleeping guy, shaking him repeatedly to try and wake him up.
Former-Sentinel: Alex, wake up!! Don't leave me--

(5)(4) Efa slams the thief in the head with the barrel of the long rifle. (2)(4)/(6) It puts him out cold.
Efa: Now, where were we... ah right, I plan to hand this one in to the police. They won't believe him. But since my cap is gone I'll look out of place, so I need someone else to hand the criminal over. The guy you bumped into won't be a problem.
The "math spirit" returns to the book, fading out of existence into a fine dust that flows into the pages.
It really didn't resemble you. While your body is a silhouette of light and dark, the math spirit was always light and always had a form, but the form appeared to change based on your position. Its form was consistent, but anomalous.

One bandit is now a Nightmare Sentinel (Can't move, +2 posdie to attack. Can block attacks aimed at nearby friendlies)

Efa's cap is destroyed (no longer absorbs damage) and her head is bruised (1)
Efa has a long rifle and 8 bullets (4 attack power)

The former-sentinel is knocked out with (2) damage to his head

Knife Bandit B's torso would have 1 damage by now

It is the 4th hour after noon. Ash is blazing bright in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 32)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:33:20 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 30)
« Reply #328 on: June 13, 2015, 10:57:50 pm »

Archae ponders the idea of reducing his bones to a similar structure to those seen in birds, while growing a set of two pairs of insect-like wings, allowing him to simply fly over the canopy.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 30)
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2015, 01:59:28 pm »

Stay off of the quicksand, try to reach out to Zikal. Use the mace to extend my reach of necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40