Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking Dead  (Read 2555 times)

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Dead
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 07:02:43 am »

Okay, I'm not a Legendary +5 Programmer, but if we stay simple, the idea is not really hard to do, I think.

In fact, it doesn't need a major AI overhaul.

When the creature gives into pain (so if it's beheaded, it's struck down, so sure it's dead, no Observer test), if its opponent fail an Observer Test, the creature will appears as dead (gain the "DEAD" Token, I think, I don't know very well how tokens work), and the AI does not attack corpse, does it ? So it will go fight another guy.

And the "dead" thing will stay dead until it's wake up (or until someone checks him). No AI overhaul !

And after the battle, the military (or maybe some military doctor) will (can ?) check corpse, in order to know if the things live, and if its live, kill it, if it's an enemy, or leave the haulers take care of it, if it's friendly. It's just a job done on a corpse when the military have no order, like sparring or training ! No major AI overhaul !

And here you want to say: "But how the invaders will do ? They have no job or thing like that !" I answer this:
Invaders do what they have to do: they invade. All of this is done after the battle, but there is no "after the battle" for the invader. They are killed, they flee or they kill everybody, no other choice. So they don't have to check corpse ! They will maybe do this after the battle, if they win, but after the battle all of our Dwarfs will be dead and nobody will see that.

So I think my idea is to make.
I really like this idea, but what happens in a situation when your last living dwarf is considered dead by invaders, while he is still alive? I think that invaders should have body checking enabled.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 07:32:06 am »

Yes, I know, but enabled body check to the invaders will conduct to a major AI overhaul, and we want to avoid that. Because currently, invaders kill everything they see, and just do that (or break door, enter and then kill everybody).

But, in fact, when the last dwarf will wake up, the enemies will know that he still alive, and will go kill him, and the problem is solved.
But it's will be ridiculous if they hit him, he gives to pain, he wake up later, they hit him again, etc...
So maybe, each time a guy faints, the chance that the Observer's Test is a succeed are higher. Because, when you believe that you kill a guy 3 times and he's still alive, you will maybe lost patience and turn him into an hamburger.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:48 am »

I really like this idea, but what happens in a situation when your last living dwarf is considered dead by invaders, while he is still alive? I think that invaders should have body checking enabled.
Actually, this sounds epic. Imagine a fort being rebuilt by a traumatized individual who was the only survivor and woke up to a fort slaughtered by goblins. I think the goblins, after killing most everyone, would totally leave without thoroughly checking the corpses.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 12:19:27 pm »

Would be a potentially interesting backstory for an adventurer too. Left for dead and seeking revenge?

The observer skill could come into whether they notice a creature is actually dead or not. In smaller fights like 1v1 it would make sense for them to check as they'd have nothing to lose.

Imagine if you slayed a dragon only to have it light you up with it's last breath.

It opens up the possibility to feign death too. Go prone near a load of corpses?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »

problem is that when my dwarves spar they train observer a lot.

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:52 pm »

So let's nerf this ! What is the problem :b

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:08 pm »

If anything it's a good thing. Used to be it seemed like it hardly trained at all...

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 11:40:42 am »

Perhaps this would also instigate a combining of diagnostician and observer?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 01:44:14 pm »

So let's nerf this ! What is the problem :b
in fact any combat trains observer a lot
Pages: 1 [2]