Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autopsy!  (Read 1776 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Autopsy!
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:13:04 pm »

Let's say that Urist suddenly appears DEAD and then the overseer wonders why. Blood loss? Brain damage? That big steel pterodactyl FB hanging over there? I'll get straight to my point: Analyzing corpses should display information about their death, it would certainly be more interesting than "Dead body of Urist".

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Autopsy!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:36:31 pm »

I also have a hard time figuring out why my dwarves are dead, and would love to know.  I'd love to see something like "The mangled corpse of Urist McDead, killed by Tsiru the Forgotten Beast on Granite 22", but I wish we could at least see something that you'd obviously be able to tell by looking at a corpse, like "The emaciated corpse of Urist McDead", "The dehydrated corpse of Urist McDead", "The corpse of Urist McDead, drained of blood", "The mangled corpse of Urist McDead, it is covered in sword-wounds and teeth marks." 

Perhaps as the Bookkeeper increases the quality of stocks info, a Coroner or Detective or maybe just the Chief Medical Dwarf could increase the quality of autopsy reports. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:49:57 pm »

or have it so that the bodies are hauled to the hospital first, stuck on a slab/bed, and any medical dwarf with the AUTOPSY skill active has a look to see what killed him, or just the diagnose skill, since there's little difference in seeing what needs to be done to stop Urist Mcbloodgusher bleeding to death and why Bomrek Mcpincusion's got a few extra holes that shouldn't be there... maybe have a morge room that can be made from a slab put in a room.
you all saw it! that  !!orphanage!!  attacked me first, It was Self-Defense!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »

I'd like to be able to see something like the wounds screen on dead bodies. As it is as soon as something dies you lose all ability to see what they look like aside from whether it's a corpse or a mangled corpse, and maybe by any nearby severed body parts. As somebody who occasionally enjoys setting up fights in arena mode, it'd be really nice to be able to see what injuries were inflicted before death without needing to check through the entire combat report and trying to just keep track of everything. Even then you can't see what healed during the battle or anything like that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:09:09 pm »

Maybe this should be linked with the ethics for the civilization. In medieval times, autopsy was a sin.

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:46:54 am »

Maybe this should be linked with the ethics for the civilization. In medieval times, autopsy was a sin.

sooo... you DONT want autopsy in-game?

also, could be linked to if they are seen, like, if a dwarf is killed in sight of another dwarf it says "Urist Mctitanbait was struck down", or "Olin Mcmelachony died of thirst", just keep the wounds screen and final killer for those, and have unknowns, like "Adil Mcelflunch has been found dead" need the autopsy.
you all saw it! that  !!orphanage!!  attacked me first, It was Self-Defense!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:30:45 am »

sooo... you DONT want autopsy in-game?

If you completely ignore the first sentence of the post you're replying to, yeah, you could see it that way. If you do read the first sentence, however, it's obviously not the case.

lordpyridine

• Bay Watcher
  • [APPLY_CREATURE_ VARIATION:PSYCHOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:45 am »

Oh boy I really want to see that my doctor found a pig tail fiber sock lodged in Urist's small intestine.
Anyone can build a buttress at forty degrees, but it takes a DWARF to build one arbitrarily and have it be twice as strong!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 12:10:37 pm »

In a similar vein, some interesting text on their burial receptacles would be cool.  "Here lies Urist.  128-256.  Killed by a cave crocodile."  Perhaps some newfangled randomly generated poetry to top it off. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »

Honestly, there is no reason not to tie this to diagnostician.  Its the same shit, really.  In both cases the CMD is going to evaluate the body for what went wrong... its just in a living patients case there is a tad more feedback from the patient (if conscious) and a plan to "fix" him implemented.  A coroner will still need to identify if that is a stab wound or a bite mark.  Is that poison? The body clearly shows signs of dehydration... His leg is shattered, but he appears to have died of internal bleeding... etc. 

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:44:20 am »

This makes me think of the new horrified system. I think a new personality trait should be made for it so we don't get very long term tantrum spirals we can't get out of just because there's a severed hand somewhere.

Any dwarf coming into the hospital to drop off some cow hair could get stunned and vomit if there's an open corpse being examined.

This also opens up the potential for mummification.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 01:56:49 pm »

This makes me think of the new horrified system. I think a new personality trait should be made for it so we don't get very long term tantrum spirals we can't get out of just because there's a severed hand somewhere.

Any dwarf coming into the hospital to drop off some cow hair could get stunned and vomit if there's an open corpse being examined.

This also opens up the potential for mummification.
I could use a mummy for my death pit

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 10:45:45 am »

even if you don't autospy, any dwarve can see if a corpse is missing a arm or see that theres a big hole in its head.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 11:12:36 am »

even if you don't autospy, any dwarve can see if a corpse is missing a arm or see that theres a big hole in its head.
I was thinking in simply pressing "l" and being able to see the injuries like the creature is still alive.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 12:20:42 pm »

Maybe it can help surgical/diagnosis skills, too.

I mean, right now it's a bit hard to prevent doctor's skills from rusting. The ability to disect livestock and bodies of the fallen to increase skill would be nice.