Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 68661 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 29
« Reply #720 on: April 05, 2015, 12:52:11 pm »

Could make a sorta ring for each planet. Closer to the star = fewer spaces on the ring. Planets move one ringspace per turn. Then with a basic orbit system, you could figure out a way to figure out traveltime/fuelcost. It would simplify launches and transit, as you would simply fly towards the ringspace the planet would be upon arrival.

Although orbital slingshots might be a bit of an issue with that system, not sure how that would work.

Gravity slingshots are the fun part, unfortunately :(
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 05, 2015, 01:03:25 pm »

How about a hexagon grid? it should make it easy to check distance between objects, for orbital slingshots.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 05, 2015, 01:52:58 pm »

How about a hexagon grid? it should make it easy to check distance between objects, for orbital slingshots.

Hex grids dont work well for orbits. I'd rather have a circular grid.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 05, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »

Maybe a hex grid for movement and a circle grid for planets?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 05, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »

How about something like this?

The number below each sector is the "Orbital Cost" of the sector, which is how much it costs to reach that sector via a trajectory and how much time it takes, turn-wise to enter that sector.
It's completely BS, orbital mechanics-wise, but it gets the job done, I think. it might allow gravity assists to work in the form of giving you a "free" push in a certain direction, that is, you may enter a certain trajectory for free up to a desired orbit, as long as you keep moving counter-clockwise each time you step out. Thanks to the layout, any eccentric orbit like this can be mirrored so you will fall back the other way.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!
« Reply #725 on: April 05, 2015, 07:14:52 pm »

That would work, although you would prolly want to make a table so the players can see what the cost of sending something to each planet in the system. Cause it would be confusing.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 05, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »

It would depend on the timings and current positions of the planets, which is why I made the graph first. A table would be more complicated than it sounds.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 05, 2015, 07:32:02 pm »

Maybe a program could be made to help with the table?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 05, 2015, 08:07:34 pm »

Maybe a program could be made to help with the table?

I'm a fan of programs, but the table itself would have to have 10x10/2 entries in it to indicate the Orbital Cost for a trip from each planet to each other planet. It would also not be helpful for planning, since the values would change every turn, especially for the inner solar system.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 15, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »

Eh, I've been thinking about that mission suggestion, and figured, since I got nothing better to do, I'll make my own.

Bio-hazard level: Bobite worrying

In the system of Maria, neighboring Cartha, a report from a Bobite has drawn the Guild's attention. Bobites don't bother outside system now-a-days, with the trouble in Cartha going on.
Lieutenant Kakk "Keeneye" Arn Xylia has reported to the Guild, about a station where dangerous bio-experiments have taken place. Due to the Bobites' frequent dealings with Bio-hazards, when they say dangerous, they mean it.
The station is M-06-SC-67882, a science station, but they do let people dock to refuel, and walk around for a bit. A perfect opportunity to sneak in.
There's also signs of technical problems, this could aid in infiltration. It's minor, but causes malfunctioning security equipment from time to time, along with lights turning off for random amounts of time.

Lieutenant Kakk has requested eradication of Bio-hazards on-board and capture of all scientists, but you can kill them if they resist.

Primary Objective

- Eradicate all Bio-hazards.
- Capture scientists.

Secondary Objectives

- Find the cause of the technical malfunctions. In case purging the Bio-hazards fails, we need full functionality to safely quarantine it.
- Secure data files regarding the experiments, the Guild could make use of them.
- Secure samples of the Bio-hazards. The Bobites are too scared to try making antidotes and vaccines against the Bio-hazards, the Guild isn't.

Though there would be tons of hidden information, or you can just fill in the blanks. Though it would need at least some modification to make it work for all the characters.
I might think of more later, but I probably wont edit this one, I'll just make a new mission suggestion.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 16, 2015, 12:33:20 pm »

Let's do another, again, just for the heck of it.

The Mysterious Cat Incident.

A number of sapient felines have emerged in the Shukka-fukka-lukk system. The resident Humans and Slimes have reported to the guild, and wants someone to deal with the felines.
This system also sees the highest concentration of Slimes, typically around the planet of Jenna, a world covered mostly by jungle.
The cause of these sapient felines is still unknown, and we need to find out. But they must also be protected, they're still sapient lifeforms, and it'd be a shame if they went extinct.

The primary suspect is Genetika Shukk, the leading bio-engineering company, but it's not 100% certain. There are also other organic oriented companies, each which could be responsible.
Another is Maria Genetek Corp. a gene-engineering company from a faraway system, which have set up shop here recently.
There's Gen-Tech Shukka, a small detachment of Gen-Tech, from far away, staffed primarily by cat-girls.
Wolf's Pride Genes, a gene-splicing company, focusing on splicing Humans and animals, they're technically legal, despite the many inhumane experiments they've performed.
And lastly is the Quadra-B Bio-company, a resurrected part of a long bankrupt corporation. Gen-Tech Shukka is very hostile towards them.

The sapient felines mostly ask TONS of questions, and get tricked a lot, so it's important to round them up, so they can be registered and educated.
The felines are primarily in the form of intelligent tigers, lions, house cats, ocelots (nudge nudge), leopards, and tons of other Terran felines.
There are some who take a more humanoid appearance, like anthropomorphic cats, from certain Human illustrations.
There's also a bit of a quarrel between the really humanoid felines, and the staff of Gen-Tech Shukka, as they look quite similar.

It's quite chaotic.

Primary Objective

- Find what's causing the sapient felines, and stop it.

Secondary Objectives

- Capture sapient felines. It's dangerous out there, they need training and education to survive.
- Find out more about the Slime. It's strange to see them flock to a planet like this, maybe it's their home world.
- Pacify the cat-girls. This isn't the first time they've gotten territorial, and it will likely get violent, like the many times before.

This isn't fully infiltration oriented, and I like it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:39:17 pm by Happy Demon »

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]