Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buildings to store items.  (Read 889 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Buildings to store items.
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:12:43 pm »

I think the current stockpile system is a bit odd. A giant grey field, able to hold one item per square, whereas a dwarf can carry a small mountains worth of items.

What I suggest is to replace stockpiles with storage buildings, 4x4 buildings with the same menu as stockpiles, but limited to a number of storage units. This number world be large, each square able to contain 4 barrels or bins. So 64 storage units in one 4x4 spot. It wouldn't be instant to get something out of their, a clutter system similar to those in workshops would effect it. With no skill to raise your speed in there, multiple storage huts would be needed to sort everything out. Your storage would be more compact, but take a little while to take stuff out of/put stuff in, compared to our instant one now.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Buildings to store items.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:11 pm »

I quite like the warehouses full of bins and similar. There is room for improvement where more items should fit in a space.

It's also been suggested before.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:28:12 pm »

As someone who often shoehorns small/skinny stockpiles into odd corners, I vote no on a fixed size/shape building.  Maybe having it in addition to the current system would be fine, but personally, I prefer the flexibility of the other way.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:58:04 pm »

It sounds like another version of trade depot.
I still prefer an improved stockpile system + walls/doors.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:46:11 am »

I believe workshops already work like this, the more cluttered a workshop is the longer it takes to complete tasks.
It does sound like a good idea, although in my opinion, any storage area would need to be resizable... leading it to become essentially the same as a stockpile.
I think this would have to be changed to a "more efficient stockpiling" suggestion. That is, the ability to store more in a single square of space.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*