Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 16  (Read 12829 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 16
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »

I've decided to start another Vanigo game, since just one cannot sate my lust for turn-based strategy and I had some ideas I thought might improve upon the game. This game will mostly be for people who have some experience with it already, but newcomers are welcome if they're willing to dive right in. A tutorial as to how to work with the interface is here, though it won't fully prepare you for the game.

Rules
Every players starts with 40 claimed tiles + 20 free pop on one half of the island, divided evenly among the players, plus 10 labor, 20 food, 50 money, 40 wood, and 20 stone.

Mercenaries:
The isle in the center is the seat of the Wintercliff Mercenaries, a NPC faction that sells its sword to the highest bidder. Every 5 turns an auction will open up for a Wintercliff contract. Whoever bids the most (and the Wintercliffs only accept cold, hard Money) will be able to tell the Wintercliff Mercenaries what to do until the contract expires at the next auction. The Wintercliff Mercenaries may cancel a contract and offer you a partial refund if they decide that they need to return to defend their homeland.

Trading:
Units, labor, and inspiration may not be traded. You must specify which route you wish to trade by, and a Merchant Caravan or Merchant Flotilla (both have 3M) will be spawned, which you must successfully navigate to its destination in order to complete the trade. If destroyed by another player, they will receive your side of the trade.

Razing:
Any pop 2 town can be razed by whomever owns it, destroying it, as long as they have units in the town.

Win Condition:
Each player starts with a Very Important Person unit, which is extremely durable but not good at dealing damage. This unit represents an important part of the player's government, be it a king, a prince, a noble, a senator, etc.; whatever the player decides their civilization uses.

Every time a city builds a Military Academy, include a note in your orders for that turn and a VIP will spawn in that city. Technically, a city only needs to be pop 6 to spawn a VIP, but since it's hard to keep track of what cities are reaching pop 6 for the first time and which are just shrinking and regrowing, a Military Academy is something you can only build once at pop 6 so it is ideal for keeping track of that.

If a player loses all their VIPs and has no pop 6 cities, they cannot build any new cities. If they lose all their cities and all their units, they are out of the game and all of their claimed tiles become unclaimed.

Once one player has eliminated all other players (Wintercliff Mercenaries not included), they win the game.

To join: Simply post in this thread with the name of your civilization and a hexadecimal color code.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:00:31 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game [0/Even]
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »

Can I join?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game [0/Even]
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 04:56:07 pm »

Sure. Name your faction and give a color code.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game [1/Even]
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:21:59 pm »

The Blade of Engineers.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:26:16 pm »

Unfortunately, that's basically identical to the color of Forest tiles, so I'm going to change it to #00aa00. Is that alright or would you prefer to pick a new one?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:32 pm »

#FF7F50
Istania.

Please.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game [2/Even]
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 06:32:19 pm »

That's good, thanks.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game [2/6]
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »

Ok! I set up the starting tiles and I think 6 will be sufficient for this game.

edit: Here is the tentative final version of the map, and the admin interface. The civilizations will be randomly assigned among the players.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:45:32 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Raycaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Space hero!
    • View Profile
    • Sharper Shovels
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 07:50:10 pm »

Joining

Skyburg - #50cccb

Hey Squeegy, how did you know I love memorizing hexadecimal color codes? I've had my avatar's color memorized since 2007.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:54:35 pm by Raycaster »

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »

On this theme, I've been thinking of running a quick game. Tiny map with pretty much all resources contested, with almost all food production doubled to get people growing as quickly as possible. Link is here. Thoughts?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] The Emerald Isles - A Vanigo Empire Game [3/6]
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:20:52 pm »

Ah, you cranked food production up to the max, huh? Could be fun, I'd be interested.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 10:37:58 pm »

Sadly I don't got the time for this right now, as I'm going on a trip in like two weeks. Oh well.
Minor balance suggestions:
Give VIP's a tag that prevents them being transported (a transport 0 ability should probably work) so that they don't simply get on boats that scatter and run forever. You should also add it to merchant caravans so that you can't simply pick them up in a speed 5 ship and have them get to their destination that much faster.
Reduce the transport capacity of galleons to 1. That way carracks will actually be useful until they are made obsolete by the next teir of ships when people have significant sized fleets.
Weaken the strength of corvettes significantly, or greatly increase the cost. Either of those should be sufficient. As it stands they cost less (they have a labor cost of 4 vs a labor cost of 5 for galleons) then galleons, while being about equal strength, faster (which is huge on the open ocean, and allows them to escape anything else), and capable of carrying more troops. They are a higher teir, so they should indeed be significantly better, but they should still cost at least a trivial amount more.
On this theme, I've been thinking of running a quick game. Tiny map with pretty much all resources contested, with almost all food production doubled to get people growing as quickly as possible. Link is here. Thoughts?
Hurm, that sounds very interesting indeed.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »

Minor balance suggestions:
Give VIP's a tag that prevents them being transported (a transport 0 ability should probably work) so that they don't simply get on boats that scatter and run forever. You should also add it to merchant caravans so that you can't simply pick them up in a speed 5 ship and have them get to their destination that much faster.
Reduce the transport capacity of galleons to 1. That way carracks will actually be useful until they are made obsolete by the next teir of ships when people have significant sized fleets.
Weaken the strength of corvettes significantly, or greatly increase the cost. Either of those should be sufficient. As it stands they cost less (they have a labor cost of 4 vs a labor cost of 5 for galleons) then galleons, while being about equal strength, faster (which is huge on the open ocean, and allows them to escape anything else), and capable of carrying more troops. They are a higher teir, so they should indeed be significantly better, but they should still cost at least a trivial amount more.
Done, done and done! I don't think I'll restrict VIPs from being ferried, though. I doubt anyone will metagame like that and there are legitimate reasons for putting them on ships.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:49:59 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:52:39 pm »

Meh, I wouldn't really call it metagaming, and it does seem reasonable to try to prevent your enemies from being able to take you out of the game by any means necessary. It probably won't be needed, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be useful in preventing a possible exploit.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:44 pm »

Well, they can run, but they can't hide. Besides, I think there were actual instances in history of rulers ruling from ships on the waves. Plus the intro of The Witcher 2.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11