Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchery question  (Read 2301 times)

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchery question
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:16:01 pm »

Hey guys, I restarted again and made a butchery so I could get meat from stray animals or my turkeys. The problem is that they will butcher an animal with no hesitation but then they just leave the resulting meat and animal organs laying at the butchers until it rots. How do I get them to put it in barrels or cook it instead of wasting it? My kitchen is set to make bunches of simple meals (which they seem to like making chicken/turkey egg biscuits a lot) and some fine meals which is supposed to be stew.

Any ideas? It seems like I should just get rid of the butchery as its useless at the moment?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Butchery question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:18:58 pm »

Is your food stockpile set to "take from links only"?  If it is then dwarves won't store anything in it unless it's linked by give/take orders at another stockpile or workshop.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:17 pm »

Create a food stock pile, enable Meat, and allow barrels to less than the maximum number of tiles.

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:18:31 pm »

I have a stockpile that is set to accept meat and I've never messed with give/take linking things as yet. I think its set to max barrels and bins. Is there some bug where it won't store things in that stockpile if you allowed more barrels/bins than it has space? I think it allowed like 55 barrels/bins but there are only like 5 or 6 barrels in there at the moment. I have a job set to continuously make barrels/bins so its not a matter of it not having any of those.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »

If all of your stockpiles are set up correctly, it could just be a matter of having way more hauling jobs than dwarves available to perform them. But if you have a stockpile set to take from anywhere, which accepts meat and has empty spaces, then your edible butchering products should eventually get hauled there.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 04:21:16 pm »

Also I suggest making lavish meals over simple meals, they are worth buttloads.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 04:30:32 pm »

@Terff umm I'm still in the first couple months after embarkation so all my meals are for eating not selling (I'm assuming you meant make lavish meals to sell instead of wood/stone crafts?).

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 04:32:45 pm »

I never liked selling Meals, it feels too exploity :(

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 04:35:18 pm »

I never liked selling Meals, it feels too exploity :(
I sell my meals for massive profits for the merchants, so it's not cheating for me. I'm just trying to get rid of it. Actually, I think I'm going to start selling drink too since I have over 10k units and I'm running out of room in my food stockpile.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »

Selling drink at least makes sense, and selling excess is basic economics.  And you can't just cram a caravan's ransom of drink into one barrel by making *Fine Drink*'s.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:32:15 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:38:48 pm »

@Terff umm I'm still in the first couple months after embarkation so all my meals are for eating not selling (I'm assuming you meant make lavish meals to sell instead of wood/stone crafts?).
Eating them is fine too, We have 10k currently in our fortress, enough to last us for a long time.  Also lavish meals generate less hauling jobs.  Generally I never make anything below lavish meals because they also give dwarves good thoughts as well when eaten.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:56 pm »

It sounds like you don't have any available space and/or have turned off "food hauling" on too many dorfs.  Try to make sure you have a few unused tiles in your (meat-enabled) food stockpile. 

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 09:37:16 pm »

@Niddhoger I have plenty of space and I'm not using Dwarf Therapist. I just use autolabor and haven't touched it really. It must be a case that there just aren't enough dwarfs to handle everything I have queued to do. I'm still actively mining out rooms for industry/great hall and living quarters as well. I'll just have to remember not to ever butcher an animal until I have at least my first migration wave.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 10:35:24 am »

Give one dwarf only food hauling labour and see what happens.

And you never need bins in a food only stockpile, only barrels.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:41 am »

If you still have issues with too many hauling jobs while you're mining the place out, just disable stone hauling on a couple dwarves. That'll make them useful everywhere else to haul things from the wagon, haul food around, &c. while making them not get caught up with hauling the millionth gabbro boulder to your stockpile.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma