Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressable/Distillable Citrus Oils  (Read 547 times)

coldrake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pressable/Distillable Citrus Oils
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:59:53 pm »

After a decade on a great embark in the jungle, my dwarves were getting pretty filthy. They didn't mind, but the Elves they trade with love themselves some lemon-lime scented soap! Considering the actual cleaning uses and simplicity of the process, could dwarves extract oil from citrus fruits at some point? This seems like a somewhat simple-to-implement thing that might add an extra industry option on certain embark scenarios.

Here's a brief video I found of the process, and it shows a brewing/distilling operation that essentially boils off the oil suspended in water, and then settles the oil out of the mixture. I'm not sure whether this would take place at a screw press, since it's not quite pressing, but since it produces oil, it probably ought to take place at the press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7bA1Ou_1k

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressable/Distillable Citrus Oils
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:48 am »

I would like to see things like this listed as a new class of "luxury" goods.  We can increase room value to make dorfs happier... but its rather wonky.  My 10x10 room crammed full of cheap furniture sure is wonderful! Said no one actually.  We can engrave walls/floors and make statues, but there are no paintings, rugs, and ornamental fungus.  Honestly? Dorfs tend to be happier with a useless lever (built out of high-quality mechanisms) than actual decorative statues.  We have crafts, but they are 100% useless out of trade.  Nobles don't give a pile of pig shit about diamond encrusted platinum goblets... but for some reason your mountainhome does.  You can make exquisitely dyed adamantium robes accented with dragon bone and emeralds... but your nobles happily wear a few pieces of kitten leather.  Nobles make the odd demand for furniture and gem windows, but again are happy admiring their gem window in there donkey leather tunic and jute trousers in their giant lever filled room. 

What I am getting at, is that scented oils could be a luxury good that nobles could demand.  Luxuries for commoners would also increase happiness- also there could be a certain level of luxury in the fort to even attract nobles/become the mountainhome.   Zoos and statue gardens already exist, but perhaps we'll need several that need to be a certain value, or have a certain number of animals/different animals in them.  A "Grand zoo" with 20+ exotic animals would likely count.  Rugs, mosaics, or generally putting constructed floors/roads down over dirt and bare stone would count as another.  With the advent of taverns and performing arts troupes, these will definitely be included.  I can easily foresee "resident dancing/singing/poet troupe" that regularly performs in your tavern as a high-levle luxury.  I've always wanted spiced foods.  Spices wouldn't add to the nutritional value of a dish, but would generate happy thoughts- think garlic, cloves, peppers, oregano, etc.  Having masterwork food would be "fine cuisine."  Scented oils- like your citrus suggestion- could be added to soaps for more happy thoughts.  Since the plantsplosion, I've been thinking of ways to utilize the leaves and flowers that carpet the ground.  Flowers can easily be collected and reduced to scented oils like the oranges.  What noble wants to make some back-water hovel the seat of his/her power? Sure industry is good... but where is the CULTURE, where is the LUXURY.  Nobles want to walk on the finest of rugs after watching the most entrancing of plays and nibbling the finest (spiced) delicacies before shrugging off their exquisite clothes to relax in a nice citrus/rose/lavender/cherry blossom scented bath.