Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cow leather, dog leather, cat leather, Nagolaski the FB leather.  (Read 808 times)

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has always struck me as odd that there is a type of leather for every creature and apparently according to the masterwork mod it has some impact on performance hence them taking all the different types out. However I do enjoy using forgotten beast hide in artifacts and I think its interesting to see what kind of leather is being used for different things. But performance is the number one issue with dwarf fortress and I dont think the gain from 1000 different types of leather out ways the cost.

What if rather than having a unique type of leather for every single type of creature which are all effectively the same it instead had several broad types that can be harvest from similar creatures with minor differences. For instance horses, cows, and donkeys could produce regular leather, while elephants, rhinos, crocodiles could give off something like thick leather.

Id see it looking something like this.

cows horses etc give leather.                                   regular stats
elephants rhinos give thick leather.                            better durability,
trolls, crundles, reachers give cave leather                  higher resistance against cutting weapons, less against smashing weapons.
cave crocodiles, cave dragons give thick cave leather   better durability and same bonus as cave leather.
Dragons, hydras, and such give mythical leather           all around better.

This would knock the game down to around 5 types of leather it needs to keep track of rather than 100 but keeps some of the advantages of multiple types of leather.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Cow leather, dog leather, cat leather, Nagolaski the FB leather.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 03:03:27 pm »

Lots of people enjoy the colorful nature of the world where every item is described precisely.  For everyone else, there's mods like Accelerated DF.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:16 pm »

I personally would be happy to see mods that remove options to implement a system like this.
I for one enjoy the variety, and the impact on performance is negligible. It may make a difference for some, but for many it makes no difference in performance.

Right now almost all materials are based on a single template, and it makes no difference, but we can enhance it and add variety. For instance, I once modded magma crabs to have a heavy fire-proof wool. I could shear that wool into fire-proof clothing. Of course, it didn't make any real difference because fire balls and flame breath that isn't blocked ignores clothes, it also would burn because constant temperature items can still burn. Might work for armor though...
It would however probably keep dwarves warm in freezing environments, since it had a constant temperature.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:26:41 pm »

Shouldn't the performance of leather be based on the creature's skin?

Most creatures in this game currently don't even have different stats for their hides other then thickness.