Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ghost fortress?  (Read 9675 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Ghost fortress?
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »

Has anyone considered this idea?
  • Have as many ghosts as you can (without causing fps death, of course).
  • Pretend your civ don't know how to put them to rest (Hey Urist why bother making coffins? Magma is your best friend. ).
  • If there are violent ghosts, that is it.
  • Survive as long as you can or until you get bored.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:48:14 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:48:09 pm »

I once made a ghost ridden fort to conduct science but I don't remember anyone just filling up on ghosts for kicks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 04:03:25 am »

Fully apathetic Werebeast/Vampire in a cage walled in somewhere should make your Fort immortal from all danger, even ghosts. This would allow you to pursue a near 100% mortality/ghost rate.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:52:27 am »

Fully apathetic Werebeast/Vampire in a cage walled in somewhere should make your Fort immortal from all danger, even ghosts. This would allow you to pursue a near 100% mortality/ghost rate.
LOL You are right...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 08:09:49 am »

This needs weaponising. Ethereal army of the damned anyone?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 04:34:05 pm »

I've been doing this in my latest fortress. Well, kind of. I built a moat, and filled it with magma. The magma-moat killed a miner (due to his rather interesting choice in pathing), a hauler (it was imperative for him to go pick this exact stone on the far edge of the moat just when magma started pouring in), and a farmer (had something to do with a drawbridge..)

I would have liked to memorialize them, but I found out can't. I have built many slabs, but when I try to have them engraved, I get a message that I need slabs. And apparently there's no workaround for it.

So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 05:01:10 pm »

I would have liked to memorialize them, but I found out can't. I have built many slabs, but when I try to have them engraved, I get a message that I need slabs. And apparently there's no workaround for it.
Do you have a stockpile that can hold them? Sometimes dwarves won't work with items if they are scheduled to be hauled and it's just that nobody has gotten around to it yet (which in some fortresses might be an indefinite amount of time :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:59 pm »

I did this back when ghosts came out, and also ended up doing it in my Necromancer fort (albeit there I put down the really violent ghosts to keep my retired adventurer necromancers safe). It is a nice bit of flavor for a fort, though i do wish violent ghosts could be somehow weaponized: right now they only murder your people and never invaders. It would be nice to have guardian ghosts or something similar.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:15 pm »

So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.
Bowser, is that you?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:45 pm »

I atom-smashed 90 caged dwarf prisoners and they didn't turn ghosts.
I couldn't engrave slabs for them.
I couldn't find them in the deceased list.

So they simply vanished.

Maybe hostile dwarves don't turn ghosts?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:27:16 pm by utunnels »

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:30:03 pm »

Haunted castle filled with armor stands and stuff...

this is a really cool idea, I'm going to try it soon.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 05:48:28 am »

I feel an irresistible urge to sig this.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 07:08:16 am »

Do you have a stockpile that can hold them? Sometimes dwarves won't work with items if they are scheduled to be hauled and it's just that nobody has gotten around to it yet (which in some fortresses might be an indefinite amount of time :P).
Yes, I have. I also tried to assign another stockpile just for slabs, and forbade them from the stockpile they were first hauled in. But the dwarves wouldn't touch them. I tinkered around with it again and actually managed to carve a slab. I selected a slab for dumping, and while a dwarf was hauling it away, I cancelled the dump. He dropped it outside the stockpiles. Then I assigned a slab engraving job in a workshop and a mason picked it up for carving! Don't know what's wrong with those stockpiles..

But anyways, I'm not going to let my spectral guards vanish away. Everyone who falls into the moat shall enjoy the honor to serve beyond eternity.

Bowser, is that you?
Stay away, Mario!

I feel an irresistible urge to sig this.
Feel free to do so :D

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 01:16:44 am »

I started a fort to test it. I killed the first 6 migrants using an atom-smasher, then starved the dwarven baby they brought...
Months have passed, but I haven't had any ghosts so far.

Edit*
I turned off necromancers and other evil creatures in world gen, demons and goblins are the only enemies.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:19:22 am by utunnels »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 05:11:01 am »

I started a fort to test it. I killed the first 6 migrants using an atom-smasher, then starved the dwarven baby they brought...
Months have passed, but I haven't had any ghosts so far.
Have you considered killing them in more violent ways?
Pages: [1] 2 3