Author Topic: Books  (Read 696 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Books
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »

Not sure if right board, but here goes.

Since we're getting libraries soon, I figured I might as well ask the following questions.

If you can receive books from outside your fort, could you possibly get a book from a necromancer that contains the secrets of life and death?

Following that, could a curious dwarf read that and become a necromancer within your fortress?

Could that necromancer live like a vampire does, minus the feeding, and then flee once people start to question why he never ages?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »

We have to wait for Toady to be sure,  but i can assume that none of those thongs will be present in the upcoming release. If you take a look at the latest Future of the Fortress reply you can see that, at least for now, books will be more a "flavour" thing than an actual knowledge repository.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:27:31 pm »

You can already get books from necromancers in your fort. Master necromancers sometimes bring them when they siege. Dwarves never read them and I don't know if that's changing. Toady said that he might add dwarves going to libraries and reading in their spare time, which again he said he might add. If he does though then you can probably get dwarves to learn the secrets of life adnd eath.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia