Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon quality (slashing) of Zinc?  (Read 2986 times)

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Weapon quality (slashing) of Zinc?
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »

So I just got some fancy artifact zinc sword, does zinc have any decent combat properties or is this just purely cosmetic and weak (besides the bonus hit rate from the artifact rating).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst part is its only worth about 15k urists, what a lame strange mood :I
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon quality (slashing) of Zinc?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 05:03:27 pm »

Here is a list of metals which I copied from someone's sig a while ago. It's sorted by their edge value, which affects how well they work as slashing weapons.

Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:17:44 pm »

Here is a list of metals which I copied from someone's sig a while ago. It's sorted by their edge value, which affects how well they work as slashing weapons.

Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
What a shame... It was a possessed strange mood too so I didn't even get a legendary weaponsmith out of it... xD

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »

Give it to your captain of the guard and he'll beat people with a rubber sword.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:44 pm »

Give it to your captain of the guard and he'll beat people with a rubber sword.
I'd rather not risk someone being very unlucky and losing a limb, I'll just stick to an adamantine mace.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 06:15:35 pm »

Handicap. Give it to your best swordsman and demand they kill everything with the zinc sword or die by the zinc sword.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:05:43 am »

The 3x "to hit" modifier is still nothing to sneeze at. 

This makes it 50% more accurate than a masterwork sword of any material, which may offset some of the reduced edge quality.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:40:17 am »

Techically, you could give it to one of your lower lever recruits for training. The 3x hit bonus will make it progress faster in learning, since experience is gained for every hit. Simply pit you recruit with some unarmed goblin and watch him beating them to death with a useless sword, gaining tons of exp for free!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:43:55 am »

Weapon trap in your dining room.  Its the best way to utilize "worthless" weapons like that.  This will add the artifacts value to that of the room (also works for nobles).  In the future, when a weaponsmith gets possessed you need to forbid all non-weapons grade materials.  If he has a preference for a silly metal, then he shouldn't be a weaponsmith in the first place.  The only workaround to this is to never produce (import is fine) a bar of said metal.  Processing candy will also trump all other material preferences (which is terrible if your smith likes maces/hammers...).  Dorf's with a specific material preference related to their moodable skill (metals for smiths in this case) will sit there and die at their forge even if forbid their favorite metal. 

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 05:44:29 am »

Techically, you could give it to one of your lower lever recruits for training. The 3x hit bonus will make it progress faster in learning, since experience is gained for every hit. Simply pit you recruit with some unarmed goblin and watch him beating them to death with a useless sword, gaining tons of exp for free!

He could get attached to his glorified nerf bat, though. 

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »

Since it hasn't been noted yet, there's a consistent way to make the artifact from iron- if you forbid the first material after it's been tasked, the game'll pick the first material in the RAWs to be the material for the artifact, which happens to be iron. But yeah, it's kind of cheaty. Especially if you cut-paste steel or something to be the first material in the raws. Just make damn sure to cut and paste. Duplicate raws are screwy.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:52 am »

Duplicate raws are !!FUN!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05:53 pm »

Handicap. Give it to your best swordsman and demand they kill everything with the zinc sword or die by the zinc sword.

I don't know if the latter is plausible.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.