Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: NukeACitrus Masterwork Stream  (Read 6910 times)

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
Re: NukeACitrus Masterwork Stream
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 10:28:21 am »

Darn it. Well, it SHOULD work once the recording gets saved on twitch. That way, it will be just like watching a movie on Youtube, I think?

I think that's how it works!
"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 02:09:22 pm »

Sadly, it is like watching youtube at a fixed quality, which seems to be at least 720p, so it's not any better than live stream.

Oh well, I guess it just means I will have to pass on one of the very few videos on DF, and even fewer on masterwork.
Not like everyone has a shitty internet, so I hope that the others are having fun watching.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 02:19:16 pm »

for me it is working here well enough. I am seeing an almost 9 hours long stream, and can easily watch now, because I am actually capable of pausing.

Thanks, Nuke. I will try to catch you live some day.

PS: I noticed you use the unit description for assigning roles. I would like to tell you that Dwarf Therapist allows you to do this in a much, much quicker and convenient manner via Role and Military tabs, showing how potentially proficient every unit is at everything. It also show bonuses related to castes or races.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:25:11 pm by RodriguesSting »

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »

Sadly, it is like watching youtube at a fixed quality, which seems to be at least 720p, so it's not any better than live stream.

Aww, man. I was hoping that would be enough for you to watch. Hmm... Well, It's going to take forever to render the videos I'm afraid for youtube, Imagine 9 hours! I'll keep thinking about this, see if I can come up with something.

PS: I noticed you use the unit description for assigning roles. I would like to tell you that Dwarf Therapist allows you to do this in a much, much quicker and convenient manner via Role and Military tabs, showing how potentially proficient every unit is at everything. It also show bonuses related to castes or races.

Ah yes, I saw a guy do that on a stream once, and I tried to figure out how to do it, but I don't get it. I'm going into role and military, but nothing happens when I click on the skills, I can't seem to assign anything for anyone. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I was unable to find out what. Perhaps you know how it works then? :D

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 03:35:18 pm »

Most certainly. I will do my best to explain to you.

First off, go into File>Options... and click in the Grid Options tab.

There, into the line Skill Drawing Method, select the box saying Growing Center Box and change it to Text. That will change the representation of the aptitudes from the ambiguous and pretty damn hard to understand boxes to good old numbers, ranging from 0 to 18 in skills, 0 to 100 in aptitudes, and pretty much limitless in attributes.

Clicking on the name at the top of each column, and it shows a downard/upwards black arrow over it, it means all the citizens will be sorted by the best/worse number on that column. On the Labor and Military (for weapon skills, dodging and the such), it will, by default, sort based on the level of mastery with said skills, but if you right click the top of the column and set it from Level to Role Rating, then it will change from setting from mastery to role, which is decided by skill rating, attributes (physical and mental alike), personality, and tastes. At default, it may tell you that you have a level 9 and a level 7 blacksmiths, but sorting by roles, you might see that the level 7 one have a far better potential than the level 9, so always sort by roles, they don't fail.

Edit: Before embark, no caste or race related skill points will be assigned, so the Labor tab will be pretty much useless for referencing. For setting up, use the Role tab, as it is much easier to keep track of whoever is best at something, and the close second places to make sure you will make the best out of each job.

Setting your group via roles will increase its efficiency many, MANY times over, so it is definitely something to look over.

If my explanation wasn't clear enough, I will try searching a decent tutorial for you.

Now, a few more things related to the warlocks:

1 - They don't need alcohol, and I saw you picking lots of drinks. Each barrel can hold, if I remember correctly, 20 units of drink. So you will get one barrel by 2 pts by buying a single unit, as you will get one by 40 pts by buying 20 units. So, point wise, in the warlocks case, it is better to buy just a unit of each. You will be saving 8 pts in barrels, and they will be emptied rather soon.

2 - Your warlocks can't gain experience in any physical labor, and if I remember correctly, no weapons but wraithblades and staffs, as they are the only ones who can use them (or, at least, make use of their magical powers). They are pretty good weapons, with the blades capable of slowing down opponents while the staffs throw shale boulders at them. So, it might be a better idea to bring one of those magic weapons instead of the mundane, intended for skeletons and ghouls.

3 - Prisoners are dirt cheap and an AMAZING source of souls, bone, meat, and leather, specially the male orcs. Butchering a good number of your prisoners can allow you to start producing skeletons (and zombies with the left overs) quite early, so consider always to bring good numbers of them.

That's pretty much what I can tell you that you may not find in the forums already. Good start up strategies can be found in the Warlocks thread, as cutting stones in the gem cutter with your warlock (one of the few skills they can actually level up, and it is a rather important one) and storing souls via hunting (with a warlock or, preferentially, a ghoul, who is faster, expendable and will not throw a fit for being promoted to Overlord too early) to level up your skeletons via inscriptor asap so they can start producing high quality stuff real quick.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:52:28 pm by RodriguesSting »

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 05:37:09 pm »

Thanks a bunch dude, I will try and sort that out tomorrow before stream!

As for the booze, I was unsure if they needed it or not, I brought it just in case, and hey We could all use a pint after a long day of performing dark rituals, am I right? (But yes, I could probably ditch those in the embark, Just like with the Orcs).

That does make sense. I was unfamiliar on how the wraith blades and staffs worked, I assumed they were not magical from the start, but I will bring some with me on the next embark then, they sound sweet! Seeing as how I was unsure how they worked, I just took the safest route I could think of, going back to old and tested methods of melee weapons. But then again, these are not dwarfs or orcs, so the magical weapons would make more sense!

My first warlock fort (3 forts ago), I brought a bunch of them, but Din't know I had to feed them. Now I do, but I wanted to keep the prisoners around for intell, but I then noticed in the manual that you can just send out random attacks to get more prisoners. How does the attacking mechanic work? I know that you have to set up the overlord throne room, then build a raiding kit, and do an command, but nothing happens after that. We gave an order, got intel on a caravan, and had a raiding kit, but nope. No attack. The items were left untouched.

Yeah, the forums is an awesome place to learn more. I wanted to stick to the manual and see if I could figure it out on my own, and I've got a few facts down and can make a quite profitable fort in a short time, but it definitely need some polishing. The warlocks are just so much different then other races and that's what I love about them. New things to learn! I played the orcs before we decided to go over to warlocks and oh damn, the Orcs are just so much easier then the warlocks.

Thanks for the intel mate!

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 06:41:42 pm »

The orcs are indeed easier, which is why I couldn't delve too deep into the warlocks yet.

That, and the fact that they are so DFhack intensive that I can't go a game without a crash. I think I just don't have a whole lot of luck.

After you built the throne room, you have to elect one of your warlocks the Overlord. Only him/she is capable of running the reactions there. After that, it should, theoretically, work similarly to the orc raiding. Though I am no authority on the matter, so you probably should ask about it on the warlock thread if it doesn't work again.

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:28 am »

I really hope you post those streams in Youtube. The buffering is real. They seem very interesting, and I would really like to see your warlock early game.

Good news! Twitch is currently uploading my twitch stream to youtube! It's going to take a while for it to upload since it's a 9 hour video, but it's going to pop up any time today or perhaps tomorrow. Just check in on my YT channel now and then and you should find it. =)

My YT channel: http://goo.gl/VV4FDN

Have an awesome day! :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:23:37 am by NukeACitrus »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 03:45:38 am »

That's a very good news, I was starting to consider trying to force download the videos from twitch, which means segments of 30 minutes with clean cuts, not really a nice format to watch either.

And what's even better is that, while waiting for the videos to finish processing and upload, we can watch your "older" videos, there seems to be 2 vanilla DF let's plays to watch.

Thanks to you, I can now get my DF fix for a little while.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 03:52:31 am »

It seems that youtube has flagged some of the stream videos for content match, so I have to sort that out first. I'm using Derek and Brandon Fiechter's music after checking it first with Derek, who said that he allows people to use his music in videos, as long as they bought the songs first. I just need to upload the mail conversation and recite to youtube and it should be all right, but I'm holding on the videos until has been sorted out of course, I don't want to get a undeserved strike.

And thank you so much for the interest, much appreciated. =) 

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 04:52:35 am »

Currently streaming some more Warlock gameplay at twitch. We'll try the tips I've been getting from the forums. =)

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 09:58:17 am »

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let u know that I just started up the stream. Time to go back to the dwarves for a while, the tried and tested. ^_^

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 06:40:59 am »

Here we go again with some more dwarf fortress masterwork!

The humans are really interesting to play as, with their guild mechanics. Coins, COINS,COINS!

You can find a link to the left!

iceoskar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:15 pm »

been watching this guy for the last 2 days, NukeACitrus's streams are nice, he's a nice guy, even if playing as filthy humans... :P

-IceOskar
-ThatDamnIcelander, 6 years old sgt in Nuka's army :P

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 07:30:56 am »

-ThatDamnIcelander, 6 years old sgt in Nuka's army :P

And we're playing some more right NOW! Get back in line Icelander!

And thank you for those kind words! ^_^ Much appreciated!

This is why I do this, getting to know all you awesome guys and gals!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4