Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underworld spires don't have vaults  (Read 3138 times)

Megaman3300

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Underworld spires don't have vaults
« on: September 25, 2018, 01:29:09 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin. In my current adventure, I've gone to two separate dark fortress spires, and neither of them had vaults, at least vaults that I could find, but also when I checked the weather, neither of them had eerie glows to them either. What gives? Am I just looking in the wrong places in the spires, is there something specific I need to be looking for? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Pyoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underworld spires don't have vaults
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 05:07:23 pm »

Vaults are separate structures from underworld spires. I think if you want to find the location of a vault, you have to ask a goblin about it (or you could export legends info, load it in legends viewer, and find the vault's location).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 05:13:39 pm »

Vaults are separate structures from underworld spires. I think if you want to find the location of a vault, you have to ask a goblin about it (or you could export legends info, load it in legends viewer, and find the vault's location).
Ask anyone local to a vault, not just a goblin, and they might tell you about it. Might take a while though.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 05:39:51 pm »

Your character probably won't know about the vaults existence - until they do you can't ask for directions to it. The specific dialog option to get someone to mention a vault is "Ask about the surrounding area". Someone who is "well-traveled" seems to be more likely to know about vaults. Once they mention a site you can ask for directions to it and then check the quest log sites list to see more exactly what type of site it is. (They don't actually say the word "vault" just the name and something that happened there. You may or may not be able to tell from the event that the site is a vault.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:03:25 pm »

You might already know this, but here's my understanding based on secondhand knowledge:

Dark fortresses that are founded after worldgen don't have connections to secrets. The easy way I know of to tell the difference is by using the little window in the upper-left: the thing that shows which sites are nearby and in which directions they are found. If the icon for the dark fortress is grey, it was founded after worldgen. If its icon is magenta, it was founded during worldgen and should connect up with a vault.

It should be a quick thing to check.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »

If a Dark Fortress is purple that means it's the dark spire the demon lord raised to found a nation from, so there will be a demon lord (if they haven't been killed or exiled,) and potentially an open gate to hell. Their vaults are built by angels of the god they made a pact with, and by design will be far away from their spire, though how far can vary.

You can only learn vault location by rumor if the vault is within 6 world tiles of the location you're asking about it. Even then the RNG can crank your testicles for days before someone tells you about a vault in the adjacent tile. If you're playing a midi to mini size world it's easier to find them. If you want to increase your odds to find them in any world, then ramp up the number of spires, and more vaults will be included.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 01:10:24 pm »

One give-away i encountered in legends mode was that a kobold civ had been stealing devine cloth from a vault. i could then make an educated guess as to the wereabouts of the vault, by looking at the kobold civ in the historcal maps. might be a long shot, but i found mine that way. and died...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste