Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where shall Cog do next

Wait a year for winter and attempt an ocean crossing to Elf island
Head to the Southwestern Savannah / Unknown Civilizations beyond

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Cog the blind Drunk  (Read 87873 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Cog the blind Drunk
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »

I am at work and unable to craft a proper memorial.

Spoiler: So instead... (click to show/hide)
It's beautiful

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But Cog awoke. He wasn't dead.
He wasn't dead?

He was alive?!

He stood up, faintly. The forest was silent, not a sound to be heard. By his feet was the black bear that nearly killed him. Against all odds Onget and Cog had mortally wounded the bear before succumbing to their own injuries. Cog sought to retrieve his supplies and congratulate Onget, but the worse was to come. He was living, but his friend was not.

Onget had perished.
Cog was halfway into the grave, alone and in the wilderness. Cog picked up his bag and barrel, butchered the bear and pilfered whatever he could carry. After considering leaving Onget's body, Cog decided to ultimately take it with him.

Cog ate well, drank well, fully expecting this to be the last day with the living. Either he would disappear in the night or make it to the distant elf settlement, 3 days travel away. All of that changed when Cog found an Elf retreat in the distance he did not have on his charts, he actually had a chance to make to civilization before dusk.
Apologizing to his old friend, he set down Onget's corpse and buried him in the wilderness.

Into the night Cog traveled, something in the distance was following him and he prayed the silence of the forest would not be broken by cackling.

Roaredembraces was a welcome sight to behold, even taking into account that it smelled of Elf. Cog slumbered amicably, a deep dreamless sleep, sleeping until the sun rose above the horizon. No Elves disturbed his slumber, no Elves were to be found, but wherever they were hiding, they kept the bogeymen away.

Whilst on the way back Cog encountered yet another uncharted elf settlement where he was stopped by an elven patrol. The patrol was friendly in receiving him, and were preoccupied with the utter infestation of bandits and cavern creatures in the surrounding area to care for Cog. One exception is with Lesana Ririliilifi, who was nearly a thousand years old and utterly bored, seeking now glory or death. Cog was confident that he was 100% likely to provide one or the other. The bear skulls and the scars all about Cog probably proved that he was serious about death or glory to this peculiar sword-Elf.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »

Poor Onget :'(

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2017, 03:33:12 pm »

That was too close. Cog mustn't die before proving his greatness to the dwarves.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2017, 03:55:02 pm »

Quote from: me
I am at work and unable to craft a proper memorial.

Spoiler: So instead... (click to show/hide)

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2017, 04:47:28 pm »

I still can't get over the fact that Cog could identify the fabric of that elf dude's loincloth and what it implies.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2017, 04:52:02 pm »

I still can't get over the fact that Cog could identify the fabric of that elf dude's loincloth and what it implies.

I described this situation to a friend just now. His response was:

FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2017, 06:42:54 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

☼engraved post-it note☼

Cog has entered a textiles trance!

Something really annoying is how Cog can't swim. Rather, he could swim, but for some reason his lack of sight causes him always to drown. Perhaps if he becomes a legendary swimmer he'll stop drowning? I don't know. At any rate river crossing is a difficult thing that always presents a risk of death, thus wherever possible Cog just goes around them. Whilst going around one river on his way to a southern Elvish Retreat (intending to sell much of the produce harvested from the bear in exchange for mangoes), Cog stumbled upon a cave no one knew about. Onget, Quarathi, your efforts were not in vain - we found our cave!

Cog and Lesana roamed about exploring the cave, searching for the cavernway. Cog knew he was getting warmer when the silt and grass gave way to rough granite, cool to the touch and familiar.

On the topic of Lesana, I got to learn Lesana's personality.
Here we were ambushed by some enemy, however the enemy was to Lesana's civilization and so had no issue with me. Amusingly this meant this enemy soldier was chasing after Lesana whilst I had to chase around the panicked Lesana, who after some great talk of being a champion warrior - fled, terrified. I'm not sure how to feel about Lesana's bravery.

All of the white text is Lesana talking. Lesana is very fond of talking, I now call her chatty Lesana. Whilst the immense level of noise generated by a companion would ordinarily be immensely irritating, in this case it's very useful in gauging where she is, Cog can always tell whether she's caught up with him or not because she's always talking haha

Behold: Chatty Lesana, armed with wooden sword and shield, may her adventures lead her to glory or death!

After a great deal of time listening to chatty Lesana, Cog finally found it: the distinct grooves of granite cavern floors.

Down there was the caverns and with it - our ticket to the island Elves. As far as I'm aware, I'm not sure if the island Elves have ever had contact with other civilizations before.

I really did not expect to find this cave, so I leave this up to you guys to decide. Do we go southwest and attempt to cross the savannahs, or do we attempt to ford the subterranean and see the island elves?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2017, 07:23:43 pm »

I vote for the islands! Contact with a new civilization is far more exciting than some normal savannahs.

I wonder if they grow mangoes there.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:50:28 pm by Dunamisdeos »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2017, 08:20:26 pm »

Look safe? He can't see.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2017, 08:56:41 pm »

Spoiler: I FIXED IT FOR YOU (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NOW IT IS EXTRA FIXED (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2017, 09:01:33 pm »

Ahaha oh god wat, my sides are torn asunder by laughter

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2017, 09:15:37 pm »

Ahaha oh god wat, my sides are torn asunder by laughter
+1

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2017, 09:19:47 pm »

Incredulous, I looked and found the mangled bear corpse on top of Cog.
I had never before seen any one of my adventurers, or any adventurers, manage to pull of such a feat. To fight a black bear to a stalemate the exact moment he passed out. I had never seen such a triumph against impossible odds before. It made me feel so thankful for all the companions who made the impossible task of survival and adventure possible for Cog, it really couldn't have been done without them. I've pulled off some unlikely odds in gaming, but I actually think that was the most intense struggle I've ever had the joy of gaming.
Flame Candleroared is a journal/story I wrote of one of my adventures.

I chopped into the minotaur's arm with a snap and it went limp but my sword was trapped. With its other arm it grabbed me around the throat and began to squeeze. I passed out. I awoke to find that the minotaur had passed out. A glance told me that my companion had saved me! I also noticed that my companion had only one bolt left. I pulled my sword free and prepared to strike the killing blow when the minotaur also awakened and squeezed my throat again. (OOC: ITS ONLY OPERABLE LIMB WAS STILL AROUND MY NECK) I passed out a gain and awoke to find the minotaur dead of bolt-to-the-head. My companion had saved me with his last bolt. I have had many companions: loyal, strong, able to swim - but none have ever saved my life. A toast to Luki Cengibudo, Crossbowman.

I know the feeling. Also, re-reading that story, my old writing style hurts me. I've improved so much since then.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »

Oh god, you are so gonna get eaten by a giant cave spider.

I mean, you're gonna spend weeks getting out of webs you randomly walk into before finding one, but oh yes, it'll happen.

Remember though: set the cave moss under the SPIDER on fire before trying to burn the webs under yourself away.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2017, 11:41:26 pm »

The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16