Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where shall Cog do next

Wait a year for winter and attempt an ocean crossing to Elf island
Head to the Southwestern Savannah / Unknown Civilizations beyond

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Cog the blind Drunk  (Read 86827 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Cog the blind Drunk
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:56:49 pm »

This is Sarvesh Ochreknight.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is not her story.

This is Cog the Drunk's story.

In the year of 1065, Cog the Drunk got into a brawl with the adventuring swordswarf Sarvesh Ochreknight. Even when blinded, Cog refused to surrender. It was then I decided to load up DFusion and play forever as Cog, the Drunk.
His skills are mediocre, his attributes are a mixed bag and he has no companions, money, food, water, alcohol, status, weapons or armour.
He also no longer has a pair of working eyes, what with his ocular introduction to a copper sword and all.

I believe in Cog.

Cog's ears, nose and hands are still very much functional. These sense weren't even given to blind adventurers of older DFs. Cog can make a name for himself in this world.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)
The world is 1065 years old, a huge world with all the history that goes along with that timescale. I plan to get a souvenir from every single civilization in the world, which should make for some interesting encounters. Currently starting in the bottom right Dwarven civilization (marked by the little square), going the only way currently possible - north. That way civilization lies, and bandits and bogeymen are unlikely to prey on poor Cog. Besides this one use of dfusion (a necessary evil), the whole thing will be vanilla all the way. This blind playthrough is blind, in both senses of the word. I have yet to delve into DF2014, and all of its surprises shall truly be surprises. With all that said... Cog walks to the mountainhome.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Cog the blind Drunk
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 12:59:57 pm »

I assume you modded eyes to never heal like the blind adventurers of old. PTW.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:05:23 pm »

I assume you modded eyes to never heal like the blind adventurers of old. PTW.
Didn't need to, Toady fixed it - Cog's eye wounds have healed, but scarred. Didn't need to modify the raws this time.

The Hamlet up north was a ghost town. Not a single soul could be heard, and when Cog started milling around all he could discern was that everything was ruined. There was no alcohol left in sight, nor a single berry sown in the fields. Night was approaching, and with too little time to turn back and no shelter available in the ruins, Cog set off North.

Unfortunately, into two incredibly daunting obstacles at once, a river and the beginnings of a mountain. Were this mountain on the right side of the river, the one high above the savage savannahs where the night creatures could not get Cog, Cog may have set up camp there. There was only one thing Cog could do. Press on, and pray the river was less than 4 spans wide.

And I'm never going to go back into rivers ever, ever again. I kept waiting for an alligator that never came, or for Cog to draw his last breath as he floundered onto the river banks. I'd actually tried to return to the side of the river I started, only to realize I was in too deep to turn back and live.
If the river was any wider, Cog the Drunk would have drowned to death in water.

From there Cog made it to a settlement that still showed signs of life, with a few hours of Dusk left before night.

When Cog entered the drinking hall, a local Drunk called Onget greeted Cog and inquired as to whether he would be able to kill one of several hydras in the area. The hydras appeared to be the unfortunate reason why one of the Dwarven hillocks was depopulated. After Cog declined, engaged in some casual chit chat, Cog began to assemble a party for his adventure.

One drunk Dwarf became two, then three.

They rested for the night, picked up supplies, and set off North. Cog replaced many of his old, soaked clothes with new, finer raiment "gifted" to him by Mayor Onul of the Hillock, though he kept his old socks. His new toga was perfect for the hot Savannah, but he took a coat along with him in preparation for the rain and cold in the journey ahead of him.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:25:28 pm »

Drunken Master - The Beginning
Or is it The Blind Swordsman?
Either way: Looking out for further adventures of Cog and his merry dwarves.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:37:50 pm »

I was going to recommend that you sprint and jump over rivers, but then I remembered you can't jump outside your vision. Try climbing trees over rivers, sometimes the branches will meet another tree's on the other side.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »

They're only drunken masters while they're near their tavern. Take them away from that and the world stops giving them free booze. This is why they're badass when you meet them, but worthless as companions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:42:37 pm »

I was going to recommend that you sprint and jump over rivers, but then I remembered you can't jump outside your vision. Try climbing trees over rivers, sometimes the branches will meet another tree's on the other side.
Things should get easier once we're out of the Savannah and into temperate/cold north. If the Elf island in the North doesn't have cold oceans in winter, Cog is going to have to learn to swim blind or else... I don't know, pick a fight with every school of fish along the way to get martial trances. Maybe use the caverns.

They're only drunken masters while they're near their tavern. Take them away from that and the world stops giving them free booze. This is why they're badass when you meet them, but worthless as companions.
AND WE'RE ALL OUT OF BOOZE

The drunken three left the town at first light, stopping briefly to drink at the river and fill a bag with water for the journey ahead. Apparently an army of unknown allegiance showed up when Cog left, I didn't see anything and no one gave Cog grief.

There are apparently at least two hydras nearby, who between them have depopulated at least three hillocks. These are not safe times to be a drunk, but the Dwarves still drink and be merry under the shadows of megabeasts.

Cog called out to his companions to be sure that the two pairs of feet following him were still Onget and Asen.
Onget and Asen both replied, but there was a surprise - two more voices called out, complaining about how everything was nice underground. Dwarven guards, guarding a tunnel, who helped guide Cog to a depot full of squabbling Dwarves where the uproar of merchants was deafening. The depths of the caverns await, where we're going we don't need eyes.

Fishanchips

• Bay Watcher
  • Look! The cliffs of INSANITY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:34:59 pm »

Ha ha ha this is hilarious (and interesting!). Please keep us updated!
http://wiki.ss13.co/images/c/c8/ClownandAlien.jpeg

A screeching clown car pulls up to the safe house!
Circus members pour out of it and start throwing pies at the windows!

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:12 pm »

PTW.

Krewl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:56:17 pm »

Got superior spatial sense.

Is blind.

The world is grim.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:01:01 pm »

Ooh, this is interesting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »

PTW as well.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:51:44 am »

Cog traveled the depths, going Eastwards. The path wound its way south briefly, before turning all the way back north. There was a great deal of blind walking, stopping off for a rest at some Fort underground.
They slept near the stairs in a small cabinet room, taking some spare cloaks for warmth; finding the stairs again was easy enough. Cog stretched his legs, took a calm stroll outside, enjoying some plump helmets and set off at a brisk walk.
Almost walking off the road into a chasm. Cog righted himself and climbed back up to the road, only to find that his companions were running away screaming and yelling. Calling them out as cowards yielded no results. The last thing Cog heard of the two was this:
At least Onget has humour in his cowardice. They left Cog alone on the roads, whatever made them flee in terror seemed content to let Cog be. That's what they get for running away.
The walk north was long, and considerably more... empty, without two pairs of footsteps behind him. There was one horrible moment where Cog encountered a Giant Toad.
Failing to digest Cog, Cog managed to punch and bite his way to freedom, sprinting away from the giant toad. Amazingly, down the road Cog found a certain two Dwarves he'd never imagine he'd see again. Which was fortunate, as Cog lost track of how many days he'd spent down in the tunnels - unless the other two turned back and ran down the road for him there was no way they would've been able to catch back up to him.
Unbelievably, they did. There was a reunification of sorts, drinks were shared and everyone chatted, only interrupted by the attacking cave crocodile.
Everyone ran from this thing terrified and screaming, sprinting down the road all the way.
Any time the noises ran towards us and not away from us sprinting was the first and only acceptable response.

After another day's rest and sprinting, the trio reached a Fortress and a junction in the road. Most importantly, they had reached a ramp.
Sweaty, dehydrated and terrified, the three emerged from the tunnel slightly disorientated - with what was pilfered from the depths Cog bought a simple silver warhammer. When Toads and Crocodiles attacked him in future he would be better prepared.

I don't like the caverns.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 12:19:59 pm »

I cant believe you actually survived that....
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Cryoshakespeare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 05:40:02 am »

This has to continue! What a fantastic thread!

Oh Cog, you valiant soul
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16