Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Don't jump off the ~ing castle, you beard-brains!  (Read 8547 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Don't jump off the ~ing castle, you beard-brains!
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:36:23 pm »

So for fun, I decided to try living on the surface more and building a great big castle wall to defend myself.  The area is really steep and hilly, so the wall is 4z high in someplaces, 2z in others.  The enclosed area is huge, so I left the top open.  The uppermost section of wall is carved with fortifications. 

Oh great!  It's Goblin Christmas!  Okay, archer squad, go up to the walls and start shooting!  That's great, bwhahaha, the goblins can't do anything about this!  Wait, what?  How did you ... DON'T JUMP OFF THE WALL!  WTF?! 

And the entire archer squad jumped off the wall to their deaths.  I'm almost angrier that the 4zlvl drop didn't kill them before the goblins did, but I am incredibly angry.  So now I guess I have to build a roof over the entire effing castle so that the beard-brains don't jump over the wall when they run out of ammo. 

&%@* you dwarves!  &%@* you and your booze. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Don't jump off the ~ing castle, you beard-brains!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »

Fortifications! Bastiongate's walls saved me from a webbing titan in year 2. My marksdwarves were perfectly content to stand behind the fortifications and shoot at the titan whenever it came near. Eventually the thing died from ten thousand silver bolts and I opened the gate and gathered the bodies of the two migrant waves that had died.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:54:35 pm by TheFlame52 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »

Fortifications!

In fairness inexperienced archers don't work very well with them. Course the solution there is to make sure they have to stand next to them somehow and roof them for good measure.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »

Two block wide walls, one block of walking space.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:04:17 pm »

Master Sun once said: "A marksman with no legs cannot jump."

What he was trying to say is that if they're always prone they'd have a job jumping to their deaths at the hands of the goblins...

...I'm actually tempted to test this now... will a prone marksman try to throw themself off the wall still?
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:19:31 pm »

will a prone marksman try to throw themself off the wall still?

Will magma inevitably find a way to flood your dinining hall?

Actually, I have no idea, but seeing the considerable lengths marksdwarves go to avoid not getting killed in nearly all other situations... I don't see how being prone or having no legs will keep them in safety very long. They can still attempt to climb and then simply fall after all.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:23:44 pm »

The enclosed area is huge, so I left the top open.  The uppermost section of wall is carved with fortifications. 
Wait, so they would have had to climb up the fortifications to get over the wall?

Does that mean that if you used constructed fortifications, which don't create a floor above, they wouldn't be able to make it over?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:23:09 pm »

What angers me most is that I have to build safety ceilings because the idiots want to jump down 4zlvls to bash goblin lashers with their wooden crossbows. 

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'(
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 01:11:27 am »

They'd be sitting ducks against flying enemies anyway.  The most cost efficient ceilings (if you don't mind the hinky-ness) are actually 10x10 bridges.  They'll obviously need a tile or two to support them, but otherwise cover far more area for the same material.  They don't need to be retracting either if you just want to keep your "sun roof" down permanently.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:03:45 am »

What angers me most is that I have to build safety ceilings because the idiots want to jump down 4zlvls to bash goblin lashers with their wooden crossbows. 

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'(

So, does ceiling prevent them from climbing down? I had the same problem and I pretty much sure I had ceilings above fortifications, walls were 2z levels high, but my marksdorfs would still climb down to fight in melee.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 06:29:08 am »

That's why you build fortifications.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:11 am »

That's why you build fortifications.
Fortifications do not stop dwarves from going out anymore. Not even dodging through them, they just simply go through.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 12:27:07 pm »

If you construct fortification (b-C-F) the result will be z+0 fortification, and z+1 no floor.  The marksdwarves seems to easily climb up and jump over.  This was supposed to be fixed post 40.19?

If you construct wall (b-C-w), and then carve fortification (d-F), the result will be z+0 fortification, and z+1 floor.  The marksdwarves can still climb up z+1 and jump over.  But if you roof up, then there will be no gap to climb through

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »

That's why I build towers into the walls with locking hatches above and below to seal them into the tower during combat.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 05:03:56 pm »

You can carve fortifications into constructed walls? :o
Pages: [1] 2 3