Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Discussion on upgrading hardcode for ranged weapons  (Read 846 times)

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
Discussion on upgrading hardcode for ranged weapons
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:19 pm »

After modding Dorf Fortress for I while it has repeatedly occurred to me that the hardcoding for DF ranged weaponry fall short on several levels. Therfore I have posted possible changes to this. Do to the fact that most of theses changes will be of most use to modders I am posting this here. I am only rarely on the interweb so some one else would be better suited to forwarding these ideas to toady (After it has been revised by some of you more competent modders.). Otherwise an DFhack script would be awesome.

Code: [Select]
###Ask and vote on options for ranged:

///Most of these would be only of use to modders. Which are most of StO:GoB:II:DF players anyway.

{FIRE_RATE}

Rate of fire. Unsure of measurement. RPM? Ticks? Toadys usual random numbers?

{PROJECTILE_COUNT}

Amount of projectiles fired at once. 1-100. ammo or weapon tag? Preferably ammo because you can have weaker birdshot cartridges that have more projectiles, and shot cartridges which have less fire in the same weapon.

{PROJECTILE_SPREAD}

Amount of projectile spread. (inaccuracy?) 1-3 blocks perhaps? Spread over target body parts?

{NO_LAUNCHER}

Ammo tag used for throwing weapons. Giving it to spears would be awesome. Maybe also a percentage for possibility of throwing? Urist would be in trouble if the first thing he did was throw away his only weapon.

{QUIVER_LAUNCH}

Like no launcher but allows a launcher to be strapped to upper body. For example; ammo pouches, bandoliers, belts, ETC. because bashing sombody with an throwing knife bandolier or bola pouch seems absurd.

{SINGLE_USE}

Ammunition is destroyed on firing.

{RESTRICTED_AMMO:NONE}

Quiver tag? So only certain ammo types can go in a certain quiver.

{SIDEARM}

Weapon is to be use only if primary is lost or is ranged? More thought needed on the prospect (Plug bayonets???).

Options and criticism would be extremely welcome. Be as harsh as you want to.

To me upgrading the ranged weaponry  and having more sieges and raids on your forts should be fixed very soon.

At the moment Dwarf fortress has become rather boring. There is no !!FUN!!.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:45:18 pm by Featheredragon »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on upgrading hardcode for ranged weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:21:59 pm »

agreed, op

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:22:44 pm »

these are all solid plans. here's the .exe, there's a memory disassembler, good luck. we look forward to hearing of your progress

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

these are all solid plans. here's the .exe, there's a memory disassembler, good luck. we look forward to hearing of your progress

To be honest I have no idea where to start. Is/Was there a script/plugin/Etc that altered:

-Rate of fire
-Quivers
-Throwing
-Ammunition

Also any PDFs or instrucions on making scripts/plugins?

Also how do people ask Toady for possible changes? Is there a voting system?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:30:12 pm by Featheredragon »

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:40:00 pm »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »

Yeah, I was just taking the piss out of you. These aren't that novel ideas, but you can always check the Suggestions forum in case they haven't been introduced yet.