Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is it that elves object to when you give them wooden items?  (Read 1621 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have realised when testing out All Races Playable for merging that the elves object to being given the grown wood items that are created by that mod's wood.  That is not suprising since it simply the wood of a fictional tree that does appear in the game but is otherwise the same material as all .

Is it the existance of the WOOD flag in the material of the item that cuts ice with the elves?  It would seem that the wood material they are selling must be distinguished from the normal wood materials in some sense.  WOOD as an item merely means a log, wood as a material passes down the chain of reagents as it were.  You could have logs made of metal if you wished. 

If I was to change the fictional plant All Races Playable uses as the base for the reaction so that the material it uses for it's wood was a material that was identical with wood but lacks the WOOD tag.  This will not affect it's in-game use by the player because the reactions use WOOD (ie logs) as the material and care what material the logs are actually made of.  Is this right? 

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is it that elves object to when you give them wooden items?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:33:28 pm »

Just having the word "grown" in the name isn't enough. I can't say what traits in a civ specifically make their wood products come with the elf-kosher flag that puts the "grown" adjective in front, but I'm pretty sure that there's no way to set up a reaction that'd put out the right stuff.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:47:36 pm »

In my personal all-races mod, elves have automatic, instantaneous reactions at their wood-growing workshop that turn wooden logs and items into an inorganic look-alike with near-identical material properties. Not having [WOOD] seems to make it acceptable to their kin, and the carpenter/craftsman just use logs as raw materials, without checking what said logs are actually made from. Apart from its absence in stockpile settings, I haven't found any real drawbacks to using this pseudo-wood.

INORGANIC
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
REACTIONS
I also added [REACTION_CLASS:WOODEN] to the Wood material template, to distinguish actual wood from Elfwood.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:22:55 am »

In my personal all-races mod, elves have automatic, instantaneous reactions at their wood-growing workshop that turn wooden logs and items into an inorganic look-alike with near-identical material properties. Not having [WOOD] seems to make it acceptable to their kin, and the carpenter/craftsman just use logs as raw materials, without checking what said logs are actually made from. Apart from its absence in stockpile settings, I haven't found any real drawbacks to using this pseudo-wood.

INORGANIC
REACTIONS
I also added [REACTION_CLASS:WOODEN] to the Wood material template, to distinguish actual wood from Elfwood.

So my hunch was correct.  :) :) :)

The reactions do not care whether the material of the WOOD item is actually wood, only that is the WOOD item.  It is actually quite possible to have stone trees and make wooden items out of stone. 

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 01:35:25 pm »

You can also turn on the grown property of the item,  but this requires dfhack.

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:50:43 am »

because it reminds them that thy have no dicks
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.