Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Proper bronze, steel, bone and obsidian elasticity data  (Read 9113 times)

Numancio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Proper bronze, steel and bone elasticity data
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 10:28:25 am »

This game's community already derived the density of Saguaro cactus ribs, who among us is willing to discover the effects of forging iron tools on a magma smelter?

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 12:57:29 pm »

EDIT:  (Actually, it looks like magma often contains magnesium, which would be a useful addition to steel)
EDIT2:  (No, I'm thinking of manganese)

Magnesium may not be used in steel as an alloy but it is used as a desulfator, which improves the grain of steel.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 03:35:37 am »

Added obsidian.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Proper bronze, steel, bone and obsidian elasticity data
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 01:09:35 am »

this is still a thing

i think bumping's appropriate

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 02:16:18 pm »

May I ask what specific alloys you are referencing with your bronze, iron and steel, and if your data accounts for work hardening / tempering?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 05:29:42 pm »

May I ask what specific alloys you are referencing with your bronze, iron and steel, and if your data accounts for work hardening / tempering?

Bronze I got the shear modulus from here. I made sure to check if their young's modulus for bronze matched up with the in-game amount of 110 GPa, which it did perfectly. From that, I just calculated the bulk modulus as described in the post.

Where I got the steel data is in the post.

Iron I used the in-game data and did some calculations based on some stuff I found online. All the data online just uses tensile strength and bases everything else on that, so I looked up what compressive strength was in comparison to tensile strength (about 4 times) and shear strength compared to tensile strength (apparently, sqrt(1/3) for isomorphic materials like all of 'em are assumed to be in DF), then made sure to keep significant figures in account. There's an explanation in that post too.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 10:34:25 pm »

i belive you meant to say isotropic

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 11:04:38 pm »

Thanks for this.  PTW.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 06:07:40 am »

i belive you meant to say isotropic

yes

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 10:12:16 pm »

Are wood and cloth on your to-do list? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 10:42:38 pm »

No, those things have some properties that dwarf fortress currently cannot represent accurately (anisotropy chief among them)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 06:43:27 am »

No, those things have some properties that dwarf fortress currently cannot represent accurately (anisotropy chief among them)
Same could be said of all material properties, really. The way the interaction of materials works (as in, during a weapon striking an opponent) has made me, as a physicist-engineer, cry tears. While it's certainly good to make numbers more realistic, I doubt it would make the simulation more realistic.
._.

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 07:53:10 am »

I'm not the smartest one here, and I fail to see what would be the in-game implications of this, so my question is : would this produce more realistic combat results (i.e. No more bone fractured by thrown strawberries, etc...) ?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 08:20:40 am »

This is great stuff but can we get the layman translation of what this means in terms of effectiveness of stuff made from these metals?

Also, if this is to be implemented we might as well get armor and weapons that break and get damaged as they're used.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

I'm not the smartest one here, and I fail to see what would be the in-game implications of this, so my question is : would this produce more realistic combat results (i.e. No more bone fractured by thrown strawberries, etc...) ?

No, there's deeper problems there than raws can edit, as Sergarr implied.

This is great stuff but can we get the layman translation of what this means in terms of effectiveness of stuff made from these metals?

Also, if this is to be implemented we might as well get armor and weapons that break and get damaged as they're used.

Bronze and steel are both slightly less rigid, I think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3