Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Proper bronze, steel, bone and obsidian elasticity data  (Read 9076 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Proper bronze, steel, bone and obsidian elasticity data
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 06:15:49 pm »

I'm not the smartest one here, and I fail to see what would be the in-game implications of this, so my question is : would this produce more realistic combat results (i.e. No more bone fractured by thrown strawberries, etc...) ?

No, there's deeper problems there than raws can edit, as Sergarr implied.

This is great stuff but can we get the layman translation of what this means in terms of effectiveness of stuff made from these metals?

Also, if this is to be implemented we might as well get armor and weapons that break and get damaged as they're used.

Bronze and steel are both slightly less rigid, I think.

I'm not sure material science rigidity is layman enough.  Also, if rigidity is the main difference, don't different types of steel have different levels of rigidity?  I remember Scholar Gladiatoria demonstrating that a tempered* knight sword will flex for days while a laminated samurai sword will bend and stay bent.  *Not sure if tempered was the right term or the complete term. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 07:28:02 pm »

There's only one type of steel in-game.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 09:23:01 pm »

Great work, I hope to see this implemented in the game.
I don't know enough about materials or the game raws to provide any constructive criticism, although I can only imagine it's going to get complicated fast before it's an acceptably accurate simulation.

Are you changing the values for adamantine at all?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 11:15:53 pm »

A bit pedantic, but forged metal objects should not be isotropic. It doesn't seem an unfair assumption to use, though you'll find swords should be a bit sharper and more flexible than implied.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 05:06:27 am »

Great work, I hope to see this implemented in the game.
I don't know enough about materials or the game raws to provide any constructive criticism, although I can only imagine it's going to get complicated fast before it's an acceptably accurate simulation.

Are you changing the values for adamantine at all?

I don't see why I would. It is a fantasy metal.

A bit pedantic, but forged metal objects should not be isotropic. It doesn't seem an unfair assumption to use, though you'll find swords should be a bit sharper and more flexible than implied.

I never sid isotropism wasn't an unfair assumption in most cases in-game, only that it is the assumption. I'm not entirely sure it is in all ituations, either.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 11:51:52 am »

Didn't mean to imply you had said it was a fair assumption; Was just commenting on the use of that assumption to extrapolate unknown material values from known ones. Should have probably kept my pedantic mouth shut.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 08:17:12 pm »

Main problem with that in particular is that the game doesn't have separate material values for each weapon, just materials.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 01:05:08 am »

One method might be to look at a variety of steels treated to maximize any given property, then compare this to instances where these properties are called for. That is, armor might call for stat X but weapons for stat Y. Find the greatest X and Y values in given steels and put them both into the steel raw, creating a hybrid metal where the smith is presumed to use the correct treatment for any given application.
Pages: 1 2 [3]