Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can DFhack Cause Crashes?  (Read 4518 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Can DFhack Cause Crashes?
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:47:38 pm »

Exactly what it says on the tin. Since I downloaded Lazy Newb Pack and made casual use of DFhack, I have been plagued by game crashes. Can DFhack cause crashes?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can DFhack Cause Crashes?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 04:07:28 pm »

Yes.
DFHack tools are more or less tested (and DFHack is beta for a reason), so some of them can presumably do. TwbT has historically had trouble, and I think the cause has still not been found.
Thus, the first thing to test is to disable TwbT. Another thing is to disable DFHack. If disabling DFHack causes the the crashes to disappear, a further investigation could be to re-enable DFHack but disable various plugins to see which one is causing trouble.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:24:08 pm »

Yes.
DFHack tools are more or less tested (and DFHack is beta for a reason), so some of them can presumably do. TwbT has historically had trouble, and I think the cause has still not been found.
Thus, the first thing to test is to disable TwbT. Another thing is to disable DFHack. If disabling DFHack causes the the crashes to disappear, a further investigation could be to re-enable DFHack but disable various plugins to see which one is causing trouble.

Thanks! Most of the stuff I use DFhack for I use for convenience, so it won't cause me too much trouble to disable it.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 05:08:31 pm »

Incidentally, if you can track down what's crashing, it would be really helpful for the DFHack team to know so that we can fix the issue. Also, the following information is generally helpful:

- What DF and DFHack version are you using? (DFHack for 0.43.05 is still potentially unstable, but I haven't seen many complaints about DFHack 0.43.03-r1).
- Also, what DF version were you using before? If you were using something else before, the issues you're seeing could be due to DF bugs. For example, this one was introduced in 0.43.04, which typically affects fortresses with lots of traps and weapons.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »

Incidentally, if you can track down what's crashing, it would be really helpful for the DFHack team to know so that we can fix the issue. Also, the following information is generally helpful:

- What DF and DFHack version are you using? (DFHack for 0.43.05 is still potentially unstable, but I haven't seen many complaints about DFHack 0.43.03-r1).
- Also, what DF version were you using before? If you were using something else before, the issues you're seeing could be due to DF bugs. For example, this one was introduced in 0.43.04, which typically affects fortresses with lots of traps and weapons.

I am using whatever version of DFhack the latest release of Lazy Newb Pack uses. And the same goes for DF.

The game doesn't seem to crash after I've spent an hour playing. It seems to crash almost immediately after I load my fortress. But it happens frequently enough that it worries me. Other than that, I have no info. Sorry!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:24 pm »

I don't know which pack you're using, so exact versions of DF and DFHack would really help. They should both be on the title screen.

Any idea what DF version you were using before? Maybe you could upload your save somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:06:19 pm by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:45:19 am »

I don't know which pack you're using, so exact versions of DF and DFHack would really help. They should both be on the title screen.

Any idea what DF version you were using before? Maybe you could upload your save somewhere.

Looking around through the code, I see that the DF version is 0.43.03, but I have no freaking clue what version of DFhack it is.

I think that the previous version of DF I was playing was 0.43.05, but I'm pretty unsure. I'm getting this from reading the release notes, and since the newest version listed there is .05...

You're gonna have to tell me where I can the version of DFhack though.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:49:31 am »

Oh, so you moved from 0.43.05 to 0.43.03? Saves aren't compatible with previous versions of DF, so you can't load 0.43.05 saves in 0.43.03 (for example), although DF should prevent you from choosing to load those in the first place, so I suspect that's not the issue here.

The DFHack version should be in the upper-left corner of the main menu (title) screen, if you're using DFHack.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:53:44 am »

Edit: lethosor answered while I typed, so the below is basically a repeat:

As lethosor said, bot the DF and the DFHack version should be on the DF title screen (BEFORE selecting whether to continue playing, etc).
When I do that, I see the following in the upper left corner:
"DFHack 0 43 05-alpha2" (Yes, I know it's an old version, but I'm not actually playing currently, so I haven't upgraded).
Meanwhile, the lower right corner has this:
"v0.43.05"

It can also be noted that the upper left text is a little mangled due to the use of a tile set.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:31 am »

Oh, so you moved from 0.43.05 to 0.43.03? Saves aren't compatible with previous versions of DF, so you can't load 0.43.05 saves in 0.43.03 (for example), although DF should prevent you from choosing to load those in the first place, so I suspect that's not the issue here.

The DFHack version should be in the upper-left corner of the main menu (title) screen, if you're using DFHack.

I haven't imported my saves between those versions, so that isn't the problem.

And by following you steps, I was able to find that the version of DFhack is 0.43.03.