Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Randomly generated animals  (Read 6764 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly generated animals
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 12:33:25 pm »

This would be really cool, but I think it would have to be able to be turned on and off for it to be viable. It would screw with modding and "traditional" gameplay too much.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:48 am »

Could easily be achieved with tags in the raw. In case someone would want to turn off the particular combo.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »

I think a parameter (either raw-defined or set in world gen) for what percentage of animals are randomly created would be good. Maybe a default of like 10%.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »

Another solution could be to limit randomized animals to Savage biomes, so if you don't want to deal with randomized animals, you just don't embark there. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 09:50:53 am »

I'm not so sure about bronze and golden animals ("hunt" for metal sources?), but the Dire animals would defninitely need restricting to savage biomes.  When we embark on an evil biome we already expect to be attacked.  When we embark on a peaceful biome (good/non savage) we don't expect to be attacked unless we provoke the wildlife.  However, I'd hate to settle in a tranquil forest and be immediately wiped out by a "Dire Grizzly Bear" that was already spawned and waiting to disembowel my dorfs (no real chance to dig down/seal up).   It would bring out the "savage" in wild biomes... which are much too tame tbh.  The animals might be larger/wierder, but they rarely ever attack unless your dorfs stumble upon them. 

Otherwise, this would help randomize animals without forcing us to check the detailed statistics of each "Wombazzadler" or w/e that stumbled onto the map. 

Also, would the added modifiers change drops on death? Less meat for pymgies, added ivory for saber tooth (and for tripple headed rams and other horned animals), and drops wool (when butchered) for wooly?  I'd also imagine that not every animal can have every modifier.  Winged hippos and golden (egg laying) tigers? "Unicorn" Unicorns? Wooly (already wooly) grizzly bears?

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 02:38:19 pm »

Do you know what would be awsome, instead of randomly adding creatures on map, it tries to emulate abiogensis and them evolution.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »

Do you know what would be awsome, instead of randomly adding creatures on map, it tries to emulate abiogensis and them evolution.
Spore?

('Nuff said?)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 07:12:24 pm »

We can already make a lot of these variations with creature variations.  I propose adding a tag to a creature variation that allows it to be applied at random to creatures on worldgen, as well as prefix and suffix tags that will be added on to the creature's name.  Then we could do away with all of these raw-defined giant animals and animalmen, letting a few be generated randomly per world.  There should also be a tag specifying that a creature is 'normal'  enough to take variations.

nothingSpecial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:23:46 am »

As I understand, the whole thing will be implemented, with slider "all raws world" - "all procedural world", so this system is very likely to be actually implemented.

As for modding - no extra raws manipulation should be used, just the raws for modded creature and slider close to "all raws" end, right?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 12:22:09 am »

As I understand, the whole thing will be implemented, with slider "all raws world" - "all procedural world", so this system is very likely to be actually implemented.

As for modding - no extra raws manipulation should be used, just the raws for modded creature and slider close to "all raws" end, right?

Even so, I would like to see more parameters for random generation in the raws.  So far, all randomly generated creatures are just regular creatures with specific kinds of variations, like extra body parts or abilities, things we can define as creature variations.  It would be nice if modders were able to directly alter the rules used for producing procedurally generated content.

nothingSpecial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 03:28:50 am »

Ah, right. The ability to define rules will be handy. Not only for body parts,  but tied in with metabolism, biome, etc etc.
Pages: 1 [2]