Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 43901 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 09:07:00 am »

Apr 07 19:33:02 <CaellathII>   He's getting a bit overzealous since I was already helping set up Joker mission and he was trying to wrench it away from my dead hands.
Nah man, just ensuring blops actually had the toys they'd need to do their mission... without completely bankrupting the fund (seriously, you guys wanted 50+ tokens worth in battle stims alone!)

Oh, but that is team fund-related and in those cases of course they have to seek you since you oversee it. And in case you haven't noticed from the tone of the post, it wasn't a big deal.

I know, I was joking as well. I've got enough on my hand not to start interfering with your side of things (there's 20+ cats to herd right now).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:44 am »

@Paris. Neat thing that character auto-categorization. I was thinking about it some time ago and was going to suggest it at some point of time.
Is it possible to make "While still alive, this character is no longer part of the game, due to player inactivity." note as part of template?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 10:50:40 am »

Thanks, that helps!

3 things come to mind:

1) pw, remmeber that if you have jobs, just post them on the team fund page and say how much they pay and what exactly you need. We already offer tokens for certain wiki jobs, remember?

2) I find it hilarious how we already keep track of a lot of crap like who goes on what mission, with lists and all, and pw doesn't even realize it. Maybe we should start trying to advertise such pages better?

3) we already kind of have a very easy way to track who does 'a lot' on the wiki: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Leaderboard
Surprised none of you brought it up. If that could be reset (EDIT: nope, it can't apparently), we can use it to track stuff a little, though of course certain things aren't decently reflected (eg the work it takes setting up a template). Also, looking into it, I just remembered I could set up custom awards, change the names of the existing ones, etc. Heh. Much fun could be had there.

Oh, and
Apr 07 19:33:02 <CaellathII>   He's getting a bit overzealous since I was already helping set up Joker mission and he was trying to wrench it away from my dead hands.
Nah man, just ensuring blops actually had the toys they'd need to do their mission... without completely bankrupting the fund (seriously, you guys wanted 50+ tokens worth in battle stims alone!)

In other wiki news: I've enabled polls now. Gonna try to post a new one on the home page from time to time. If people have a hilarious idea for a poll, pm it to me.

I also enabled blogs. Not sure if that'll ever be used, but it might be nice to have for some people.
Huh, didn't know the achivements thing existed. Are those achievements easily gamed? Can you get a bunch of them with little effort, I mean?

Also, do you want tokens? I figured you probably had access to enough that you wouldn't care much about a few more. But if you'd like a few thats fine too, I want to compensate people who are doing work.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 10:53:43 am »

I humbly thank most glorious piecewise for considering my work worthy of so many tokens.
Most of the work I've done is at the old Nyars artifact page and the templates. Plus helping gather stuff like character descriptions and active character capabilities to help RC before the days of the wiki with my google doc and info post.
Not that active right now, beside some infrequent edits, updating my inventory and my work with templates.

In other news, I've changed the player character category to simply character, since there were some NPCs there as well. You could even put an entry for the armoury master and the doctor if you want and turn the one in the NPC page into a short description linking to the actual page.

The PC template now further autocategorizes people based on their status into various subcategories.

I was a bit agressive with marking people as Inactive, so I might have put some actually active people there. I believe the problem will be easily resolved once one of them posts.

There is the "NPC Character" category there to make the grammar nazis and syntax commies froth at the mouth.

It is interesting to note that we have more than 100 characters and more than a third of them are active.
There are also more than 20 dead... Let's see if we will double that number with this mission...

@Paris. Neat thing that character auto-categorization. I was thinking about it some time ago and was going to suggest it at some point of time.
Is it possible to make "While still alive, this character is no longer part of the game, due to player inactivity." note as part of template?
Sure. I'll just put it at the end.

Templates at their basest form are nothing more than a way to save time and not having to copypaste. They literally just copy everything you put in them on the page, with the added bonus of being able to provide arguments for them.

More detailed explanation of the template autocategorization follows:

This is the end of the PC template
Code: (http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Template:PC) [Select]
<includeonly>
{{#switch:{{{status|Unknown}}}
|Alive = [[Category:Active Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
|Inactive = [[Category:Inactive Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
|Dead = [[Category:Dead Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
|Permadead = [[Category:Dead Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
|KIA = [[Category:Dead Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
|NPC = [[Category:NPC Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
|[[Category:Character|{{PAGENAME}}]]
}}
</includeonly>
As you can see, it simply compares the status variable with a number of strings and puts them in the appropriate subcategory, defaulting to the parent category if it doesn't match any of the cases. Note that case (upper-case/lower-case) is important.

The includeonly tag tells the wiki to only copypaste that part when the template is actually used, so that the template page itself is not be put in the Character category.

It works the same way for the information text:
Code: [Select]
{{#switch:{{{status|Unknown}}}
|Inactive = <b>While still alive, this character is no longer part of the game, due to player inactivity.</b>
|
}}

Feel free to change this to add more descriptions or subcategories.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:57:49 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:54 am »

Huh, didn't know the achivements thing existed. Are those achievements easily gamed? Can you get a bunch of them with little effort, I mean?

Only if you do stuff like intentionally making a lot of small edits, instead of going for efficiency (eg when fixing 3 spelling mistakes, doing it in 3 edits instead of 1). But as I said, I can't reset achievements, though you could use it to keep track of certain things for sure.

I think it'd be better if we thought of certain qualifications beforehand, like those jobs that now exist, for things that take a lot of work at once (eg writing a mission synopsis) and to try and track who does a lot of smaller edits (more 'maintenance work', like editing inventories). We should be careful though of not incentivising making a million small edits to get tokens. That way lies drama.

Then again, some work, like adding tags or categories, are by their nature lots of small edits (tedious work).

I'm not sure what people mean when they say I have a lot of tokens due to managing the team fund. I can't actually use those tokens for myself, they're for community use, and I try to get feedback before major decisions for it anyways. Maybe I could swindle a little, but then again, it's all in the open, so unless I steal it all and dare people to come after me from atop my armored mech, those aren't exactly 'mine'.

I won't complain if you think I don't deserve them, or that I've been adequately compensated already. But if I do get some, they will certainly be appreciated. I can always use them, that's for sure. The quest to OPness so horribly broken one has to be kicked from the game never ends!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:24:59 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 11:24:55 am »

Only if you do stuff like intentionally making a lot of small edits, instead of going for efficiency (eg when fixing 3 spelling mistakes, doing it in 3 edits instead of 1). But as I said, I can't reset achievements, though you could use it to keep track of certain things for sure.

I think it'd be better if we thought of certain qualifications beforehand, like those jobs that now exist, for things that take a lot of work at once (eg writing a mission synopsis) and to try and track who does a lot of smaller edits (more 'maintenance work', like editing inventories). We should be careful though of not incentivising making a million small edits to get tokens. That way lies drama.

I'm not sure what people mean when they say I have a lot of tokens due to managing the team fund. I can't actually use those tokens for myself, they're for community use, and I try to get feedback before major decisions for it anyways. Maybe I could swindle a little, but then again, it's all in the open, so unless I steal it all and dare people to come after me from atop my armored mech, those aren't exactly 'mine'.

I won't complain if you think I don't deserve them, or that I've been adequately compensated already. But if I do get some, they will certainly be appreciated. I can always use them, that's for sure. The quest to OPness so horribly broken one has to be kicked from the game never ends!
That was my worry.

In the end I'll probably just occasionally ask Sword what everyone has been doing and pay that way.

And fine, 3 tokens to you.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 11:26:25 am »

In the end I'll probably just occasionally ask Sword what everyone has been doing and pay that way.

And fine, 3 tokens to you.

That can work as well.

Also, much appreciated.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 02:00:57 pm »

Why am I marked as inactive?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 02:02:34 pm »

Heyo tavik! Mind lending your APC to protect the squishy noobs on the ground mission? :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 02:16:34 pm »

Heyo tavik! Mind lending your APC to protect the squishy noobs on the ground mission? :P
Just don't blow it up or you will end up owning me 11 tokens.

Also, stuck trying to figure out how to spread out the respec points. I did ask for help in the respec thread but it seems people missed it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 02:26:21 pm »

Just don't blow it up or you will end up owning me 11 tokens.

Also, stuck trying to figure out how to spread out the respec points. I did ask for help in the respec thread but it seems people missed it.
And I responded, asking you what kind of play-style you want out of your character. Conventional, Unconventional, Auxiliary? Swords? Pimp canes? Also, probably best to provide your answer in the appropriate thread.

You hadn't posted in a few days and you weren't going on any mission so I just marked you as inactive. Like I said, I was very aggressive with my marking, so anybody that hadn't posted an action in the last week or so and wasn't going on a mission was marked as inactive.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »

Hey people, would you mind tracking how many times someone uses an amp from this point on? Blue smoke too. And battle stim of any kind.

For science

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:52 pm »

If I didn't need amps to do what I need to do that'd make me swear them off entirely.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 12:48:43 am »

Hey people, would you mind tracking how many times someone uses an amp from this point on? Blue smoke too. And battle stim of any kind.

For science
Should there be an amp/drug use page on the ER wiki from now on? Or should a counter just be put up for each separate character page?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 12:56:12 am »

Neat template to count all kind of usage stuff. To be included into attributes section.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34