Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 44085 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #435 on: January 18, 2016, 02:39:46 pm »

My opinion on the armory purge is that we need to ask PW questions.  I would support two seperate "back room" armory pages IF PW confirms that there's items we simply cannot obtain at all.  If amps and such are meanth to be obtainable by trusted people like Pancaek, then they shouldn't go in the "unobtainable" list.  But if they are pretty much supposed to be completely unavailable to anyone, they should.

Same for all the items which were supposed to be AM-made.  Can we still obtain longcoats, or reactor tech helmets, or all the other random clutter items?  If so, they go in the "available, but not recommended" list.  If not, they go in the "unavailable" list.

As to who gets to decide what exactly is outdated, and what relative grades are, I partially agree with Nik; it's not a question that should be asked in OOC, because most people don't really know much about the actual effectiveness of armory equipment.  However, I don't think it's just us that are qualified to make good decisions--Radio, Paris, most people who post in Heph OOC, all you guys know your stuff.

Lastly, I think this is pretty clear, but it's been a massive barrier the last few times this discussion came up: I don't think we need to remove items from the armory outright.  Only items which are literally impossible to get should be removed, while all the obtainable worthless crap would just be shuffled to a different page, still available for purchase.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2016, 04:02:07 pm »

@Aoshima: Thanks for the offer. I might contact you about it when I'm less busy.

It's not that they banned the IP because of what I was doing, you don't have to worry about that. The administrator I contacted seemed OK with it. But he said there was an attack made from the cloud this IP belonged to, so they decided to perma-ban the entire cloud. A bit of an overreaction if you ask me, but I don't know much about servers and even less about JavaScript and HTML, so it's not like my opinion matters.

@syv: Why delete anything? Space is cheap. Just shove it somewhere out of the way, like clothing in a teenager's room.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 18, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »

Posting to watch. Mostly because I'm gnoming up myself.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 18, 2016, 04:26:06 pm »

@Paris
Deleting things?  I was trying to make it super clear that I don't think we need to delete anything.  I was saying even the stuff which is literally impossible to obtain should be moved to an armory page specifically dedicated to stuff which is literally impossible to obtain.

The way I see it, we should have three pages: The first, containing only things deemed to be good purchases, and possibly things which fill unoccupied roles.  The second would contain all items which are redundant, inferior, or excessively niche.  The third would contain everything which, regardless of its value, is impossible to obtain under normal circumstances.  Nothing would be deleted from the wiki, just moved to a different page.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »

Ah, yes, I agree. I just misunderstood what you meant by "Remove".

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 18, 2016, 11:51:59 pm »

Here's what Nik and I came up with while looking over the Con and armor sections of the armory.  Nik did the majority of the grading, and I tweaked some.  We did a fair bit of discussion, so I added some of our statements to the relevant items, generally either for context or to highlight places where we disagreed.  Further discussion wouldn't be a bad idea, I think, so I'm posting it here (with Nik's approval).

Armor spoiler doesn't include assaultsuits, but I'd grade them as MODERN/A++.  I might be biased there, though. :P

Spoiler: Conventional Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armors (click to show/hide)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:14 am »

I mostly agree with your assessments.

I would call the gauss rifle a B though its still outdated.

The laser rifle and cutting laser could be made relevant and useful again if they used generators instead of batteries for the same price. There's still nothing better for slicing through things. Makes a very good secondary/backup/utility weapon when generator powered.
Of course it would be even better to make the FEL weapons cheaper.

The multifunction power gauntlet is misplaced into the entirely wrong section. Its not even a weapon. It would be a useful utility/versatility device if it wasn't so incredibly overpriced for the package it offers.

Why does the gungnir electrolaser use a tesla sabre. It could use a spark gap for so much cheaper. and why does it cost a token to duct tape them together. And why is it only compatible with a laser rifle it should be a kit to turn any laser into a lightning gun.

The Longcoat as a standalone armour is obviously bad. It might still have some niche use for layering over other armours.

I would add in "Milnoplate helmet" MODERN/A+
Its the cheapest best thing to protect you from permadeath.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:51:14 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 19, 2016, 02:22:11 am »

Hand laser still isn't quite Obsolete, it has infinite battery for a whole token less than the Red Hand. :P
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 19, 2016, 02:29:09 am »

Hand laser still isn't quite Obsolete, it has infinite battery for a whole token less than the Red Hand. :P
Infinite generator yes, but it overheats in mere three seconds.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 19, 2016, 02:35:30 am »

Also the blaster isn't a glove. It can get knocked out of you hands, as demonstrated by Lordpunch in his VR duel.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:33 am »

The hand laser has trouble getting through a Mk1 suit. Its barely even worth calling a weapon.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:00 am »

The hand laser has trouble getting through a Mk1 suit. Its barely even worth calling a weapon.
One of the cool things about it though is that it is one of the few things in ER you can remake in real life by taping a laser pointer to a glove.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 19, 2016, 11:31:07 am »

Sounds more like a laser scalpel than a weapon... Since it's got its own generator, couldn't it also be used as a defibrillator/heart attack inducer against unarmoured persons?
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:55 pm »

Hey, I replied! And with some more Armory list analysis. (Might have messed up something, a lot of text to read through, so please excuse me in that case.)
As usual, public input on the discussed issues is highly requested.

Spoiler: Uncon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Exo (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Nunzillor

« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »

The names of items in the Armory are not displayed on mobile devices.  I have no idea how to fix that...

Edit: if anyone has a moment, can I get their opinion on the Infinite Multitool?  How does it compare to just getting "assorted tools" from Fred, which are free?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:23:41 pm by Nunzillor »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34