Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Two hundred megabeast mass brawl on embark  (Read 35811 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Two hundred megabeast mass brawl on embark
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:00:39 pm »

On a whim I decided to create a truly terrifying and challenging world, with as many titans, forgotten beasts and megabeasts I could possibly cram into. With this intent I started fiddling with world creation parameters: at first I set titan and megabeast counts to maximum (1000 and 100 000) and my usually capable computer simply blew its brains out. Clearly the maximum values were only theoretical, so I tried several different combinations with smaller values; I tried to keep megabeast counts as high as possible while still managing to complete the worldgen and have at least one civ from all races to survive. I eventually settled to following numbers:

- Pocket world
- Titan count: 1000
- Megabeast count: 5000
- Semi-megabeast count: 5000

I also boosted curses and night troll types somewhat but those were less likely to have any effect on gameplay. On maximum I got the worldgen to advance to year 12 before all civs were dead so I stopped there. Oram Gomath, The World of Legend was created.

So, in year 12 The Square Wheel of The Road of Slaughters founded Nogleshral, "Savagesilver." Strike the earth!

---

The first thing I saw after embarking was an announcement that something had collapsed on the surface. The something was a part of a... structure of sorts; a tangle of walls held up in the air by rock salt pillars:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The announcement was preceded by a long list of "You have located X, a lair"/"You have located X, a labyrinth"/"You have located X, a shrine" notifications... 154 of them, to be exact. Clearly this embark location had something odd in it; I decided to check the unit screen.

I think the only time I have been so startled by Dwarf Fortress was the first time I uncorked the fun stuff inside the bright blue metal. This map had 208 megabeasts in it, right from the start. Dragons, giants, ettins, cyclops,hydras, bronze colossi... everything. And they were fighting! Sixteen of them were already dead after few seconds, and a bloody melee continued on surface and in an underground space underneath the alien structure:

I quickly ordered everyone into a nearby abandoned lair; this was a time to get out of sight now and to worry about supplies and fortress design later. I had miners expand the lair a bit and when the fight on the surface had subsided somewhat I let the dwarves out to move food and supplies underground. After that I had the slowest and the most careful fortress buildups ever: only a tree felled here, a herb collected there, while being on alert in case a fleeing giant chinchilla drew a train of angry bronze colossi towards the entrance.

The bronze colossi were winning the fight; after one and half month the only beings left in the structure were seven colossi who had killed everything else and the lone female dragon Olsmo the Luxurious Heat of Glows who kept melting incoming attackers until the remaining ones seemed demoralized. Luckily the remaining monsters are staying mostly underground and I can get back to building a real fortress, instead of a hole in a ground full of ettin droppings.

I think I'm keeping this save; I originally genned this world as an experiment but I think the FUN content of this fort will be too high to not to play it further. I think I have stumbled upon a megabeast fight club or something, a thing to keep them occupied since they already outnumber civilized beings ten to one in this world.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Two hundred megabeast mass brawl on embark
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:04:21 pm »

This is the best thing I've ever seen, and I just caught my second forgotten beast.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »

O.O

Megabeast Fight Club? You are a legend sir!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:53:19 pm »

Do you have any announcement or combat report screenhots?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 05:28:50 pm »

This is another one of those prodigious DF moments, at least for me. Well done sir!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:42 pm »

That's nuts. Post more :D
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 06:25:55 pm »

i am making one RIGHT NOW

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »

During my goblin world experiments where I had a brief string of only gob civs surviving I found a cluster of titan shrines up in the northwest corner due to the previously mentioned bug. Upon arriving I found some empty shrines and this:

I didn't go for the ridiculous numbers like that, but I'll have to play around with some and see what comes out, I tend to keep the numbers more reasonable, only 10 megabeasts/5 semimegabeasts/3 titans on a 17x17 because I'm trying to get surviving civs out to at least 150~ years, but damn.

I'm curious what the mods I've got in place so dragons have ~steel bones would change in the outcome, I doubt the colossi would rout everything so readily in that situation.

Huh... it genned really fast to 175 years with 1000 megabeasts and then lets me play fortress and adventurer mode with no population?

The hell?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:04:26 pm by Max™ »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 07:16:35 pm »

During my goblin world experiments where I had a brief string of only gob civs surviving I found a cluster of titan shrines up in the northwest corner due to the previously mentioned bug. Upon arriving I found some empty shrines and this:

I didn't go for the ridiculous numbers like that, but I'll have to play around with some and see what comes out, I tend to keep the numbers more reasonable, only 10 megabeasts/5 semimegabeasts/3 titans on a 17x17 because I'm trying to get surviving civs out to at least 150~ years, but damn.

I'm curious what the mods I've got in place so dragons have ~steel bones would change in the outcome, I doubt the colossi would rout everything so readily in that situation.

Huh... it genned really fast to 175 years with 1000 megabeasts and then lets me play fortress and adventurer mode with no population?

The hell?
Well, everyone is dead, so there's no personal history to gen.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 07:24:01 pm »

Yeah but I mean when I exported the pop and sites I got this:

No civilized world population, but I was able to play fortress and adventurer mode?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 08:21:00 pm »

could you post the save? this is like arena mode in dwarf mode.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 09:15:17 pm »

They're pretty easy to make actually, if you go over 1k megabeasts though you gotta make sure you tap enter after it says placing civilizations and then you can just step it forward a little bit with c > enter so you can stop it before it runs out of living civs.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 01:48:14 am »

Yes, I have a backup from right after world gen; I'll share it if someone really wants it. However, the generation process itself was actually a large part of the fun. Here are the generation parameters I ended up using:

I also took a look at the world with Legends Viewer. It really looks like around twelve years is the longest time before civilizations die out, according to site populations:

This truly is a world ruled by monsters. Legends Viewer map mode reveals that every single square  of the world map - except ocean and mountain squares - is filled with megabeast lairs, labyrinths and shrines. Edges of mountain ranges are really, really packed with these; I assume the generation process simply places the lairs on these squares when it can't put them on mountains:

I suspect these squares are the ones where the monsters like to organize their Fight Club events; Savagesilver happened to be founded right on top of one.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:04:41 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 06:09:17 am »

This is the first time I've played a fortress that's actually gaining FPS while time goes by. When I embarked the FPS was around 10, now it's hitting the cap of 100.

The colossi started patrolling the surface again so my dwarves have been darting in and out of their hole like nervous little mice, careful not to reveal the existence of the fort. They nearly got busted when one colossus kicked an aardvark for over twenty squares almost directly on top of the entrance. Luckily it died on impact so I didn't have a bronze colossus rugby team running after it and bursting through the door and killing everyone. The colossi went back to cautiously harassing Olsmo the she-dragon who promptly torched the entire neighborhood and caused a wildfire that killed all trees and plants this side of the river. Crikey, what a beauty! I must capture her at some point if she survives the bronze jocks.

The brushfire was bad news because now the foragers have to travel longer distances to get food and wood and increase their risk to get noticed. In addition to colossi there's a roc, Ostath Blossomfog, who seems to have escaped the initial carnage and now spends its time patrolling the skies and biting other birds in half midair. All combat reports seem to end "...slams into an obstacle and explodes!" I'm now officially in awe of the rocs; their beaks could even dent bronze when they were battling the colossi in the Fight Club. Too bad all her mates perished in combat.

Very cautious fort-building continues; the miners have hit rock so I can build some proper defenses and get some real rooms for my dwarves. I'm planning to build the final fort closer to the first cavern layer; the surface might have too much action for a very long time.

I must say I dread the first migration wave; they could ruin everything by simply approaching from wrong direction.

Uhhh... welcome?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 06:15:58 am »

You actually aren't in much danger of being attack by monsters you settle on top of.  I've used legends viewer to settle directly on top of dragon lairs before.  They just chill in there doing nothing until you provoke them.  You can walk right up to the lairs and floor them shut no problem- so long as they don't have line of sight to your dwarf as he's flooring them up.  Other times, I've tunneled into the side of the lair for some shennanigans.  Specifically, I built a sight blocking wall from a side tunnel then looted the dragon's stash of coins+eggs while it was just a few tiles away.  I later spammed the area in cage traps and used a scarficial dorf to channel right on top of the dragon, hoping that when he ran like hell (around a series of trapped corners) the dragon would give chase.  Its always fun to have a tamed dragon on hand when the first goblins show up >D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11