Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: "Fenrir, Peasant" to "Fenrir, Game Develo  (Read 13431 times)

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Fenrir, Peasant" to "Fenrir, Game Develo
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I'll take "Try to fix Dev-Cpp" for $200...

I got curses to work once before. If that fails, I'll look into conio.h. Hmmm... I actually have some code that uses that library, I got it from an online tutorial that the author never finished.</STRONG>

Actually I was figuring that you wouldn't pick this one...  Dev-Cpp isn't my favorite kind of compiler, since they do a lot of windows stuff that I don't know about yet.  You might need to ask someone else, if things go much more awry.

Well, do you remember what you did before?  If you were using an older version of Dev-Cpp then, that version might be best for you.

If you want to ignore the devpack:

first, download these files

Usually, on a Linux system, you'd need to download the files and use a program called "make" to set some really cool examples and testing programs up.  (make is used to compile the example and testing programs, you might still be able to compile them manually, if it works right.  I think they're all in c).

So, you can download the files, copy all of them to the Dev-Cpp/lib folder (where most libraries go), and then use the linker option to include curses stuff (along with the normal "#include <curses> ).

To do that, while you're compiling any project with curses, hold down the "alt" key and press "p" (alternatively, go the project on the left, right click it, and click project options).  Under project options, pick the parameters tab, and under "linker" type "-lcurses".  (this is equivalent to a linux machine's "gcc program.c -lcurses on the command line)

That should work.

In other news, Dev-Cpp still doesn't work at all for me, so I think I'll stick with MinGW.

[ January 13, 2008: Message edited by: nerdpride ]

Fenrir

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nerdpride:
<STRONG>Well, do you remember what you did before?  If you were using an older version of Dev-Cpp then, that version might be best for you.</STRONG>

No, unfortunatly, I don't. I don't even know what compiler I was using. I think I was Dev-C++ but I can't be 100% sure.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

No libraties are set in
project->project options->parameters->linker box(one of 3 editable text boxes)

the reason it worked in a downloaded one, it that you probably started it from a downloaded project, with the linker option set already.

I had the same problem...

[ January 13, 2008: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>No libraties are set in
project->project options->parameters->linker box(one of 3 editable text boxes)</STRONG>

Which is exactly the same place.  :P

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

I wrote it before I saw the second page, then added.
Eh?
Eh!

Fenrir

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

I have achieved a glorious victory today (with a great deal of your help)!  :D  Dev-C++ is fixed!  :D

It couldn't find cc1.exe, so I went and found it. I didn't know how to tell it where it was, so I looked around on the internet and stumbled upon the solution.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

So, what are it you are trying to do? a game about vikings (I have been watching you, Fenrir son of Loke...)? is it a fey, fell or secretive mood?

When you are past the technical parts I might be of help.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>So, what are it you are trying to do? a game about vikings (I have been watching you, Fenrir son of Loke...)?</STRONG>

It's a game about Vikings, that much is certain!  :D I think Viking cosmology will offer some interesting world-gen opportunities and challenges.

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>is it a fey, fell or secretive mood?

When you are past the technical parts I might be of help.</STRONG>

I'll probably swtich back and forth between all three moods. I would be honored if you were to contribute your limitless wisdom to my work.  :D

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I have achieved a glorious victory today (with a great deal of your help)!   :D  Dev-C++ is fixed!   :D

It couldn't find cc1.exe, so I went and found it. I didn't know how to tell it where it was, so I looked around on the internet and stumbled upon the solution.</STRONG>

I assume that means you're able to use the curses library, which is excellent.  Googling your error messages is a great way to find out what they mean, which applies for anything related to computers, so I probably should've said it first.  But anyways:

You might not know it yet, but you now have quite an array of tools at your disposal.  Dreams have been fulfilled with such things, it's just a matter of learning to use them.

So, it's about time to say, "you're on your own, now."

Only 5,000 more stone mugs before you reach legendary stone carver.

Fenrir

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

I thank you comrade for your aid!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Ok, first is this gonna be a rougelike or not? There is pros and cons whit making a classical rougelike or inventing a new genre, DF is somewhere in between, rogeikes is the "safe card" but you will with 95% probability always have to live whit the thought that there is something better already out there, and it of course allow for less creativity, note that you can make a ASCII RPG whiteout following the strict RL traditions, generally I advice you to not care if it qualifies like a rogelike or not and just do what you are inspired to do.

One pitfall to avoid is the one DF is in, it is a good thing to even from the start make the window smoothly resizeable and adapt all viewing code to that.
Also ALWAYS MAKE EVERYTHING AS MODULAR AS POSSIBLE, using C++ and classes it's not hard at all, just make sure that AI and physics and UI and so on are completely separate in the code so even major changes in one wont affect the other.

specific random idea: Worldgen actually based of nifelheim and jotemheim, then make some fluid dynamics inspired interaction between one half filled whit "fire" and one whit "ice" to procedurally generate terrain, climate and so on, a plus if it's viewable or even interactive.

All of these might seem hard at firs but if it really is a fey mood it should be no problem, it's more logic and math than technical knowhow.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

I'm not concerned with whether or not it's a roguelike. If it qualifies it will be a coincidence.

I've never been to the land of the fire giants, but I think it's called Muspell. Jotunheim is the land of the Jotuns, who are just vanilla-style giants. Anyways, I like your idea, but how would that work with everything being up in a tree like it is now?

The idea is all very rough in my head, and it's still forming but here's what I have so far:

Your an Einherjar, sent to do something, most likely involving this Ragnarok the gods are so worried about. Every time you die, a valkyrie comes to return your soul to Valhalla. The valkyries don't feel like getting your stuff for you every time you die. If you lose your gold because you thought you could take on that dragon all by your onesies, that's your problem. So you lose your stuff and are equipped with crappy replacement equipment.
You fight enemies like other Vikings who want your stuff or for revenge for whatever, giants who don't want you to complete your mission, and beasts who are just hungry. You can travel between all nine realms, and you'll have to, but not without some effort.
Of course, the player is free to do all the things Vikings are known for, like raiding anyplace you feel like, selling your ill-gotten gains in the Middle East, fighting rival clans, exploring the world, drinking mead in your hall, managing your lineage, and whatever else I come up with.

I know this is probably beyond me, I'm just throwing around ideas.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 09:03:00 am »

1) A wise decision.
2) "The spinning correction strikes Armok in the face! It is lost. Armoks confidence has been badly wounded." DAMN! Why do I always confuse Muspelheim and Jotenheim? It's the only thing I ever always remember wrong about Nordic mythology!

Still, I think you have gotten some things wrong, muspelheim is not "the land of the fire giants", jotenheim I guess means "the realm of giants", then muspelheim means "the realm of fire" not "the realm of the fire giants". I don't really know the language but I think it is a fairy adequate guess. Some (D&D players) may understand better is you substitute "realm" whit "elemental plane".
As the first giant was born in the merging between them neither nifelheim nor muspelheim can logically contain any native life.

I think that all aspects can not be counted for in a game (except DF), ignore Yggdrasil for now and go for the north/south based termo/fluid -dynamic nifelheim/muspelheim based worlden, nobody ever actually travels Yggdrasil directly anyways, they fly or walk the rainbow. Yggdrasil if it gets in can probably bee kept as static art on a map. I assume you are going to keep this on a resumable ambition level.

3) for at least beginning the game I suggest this, you will probably use the engine for many other things but this is for a goods first goal:
Being a Einherjar is a very good idea, but scrap the overdone save-the-world plot, no plot at all, this game should be about freedom, slaughter and drinking mead!
This is you first game and we should keep it simple (NOT "KISS", I love arcane interfaces, simple and fast to code), the player is a COMPLEATLY ORDINARY Einherjar, and if I remember correctly those were not very allowed to go anywhere they wanted to, or maybe they just didn't want to, anyways they kept to Valhalla and the sounding fields, this means that is the only areas you neecd to include in the game, just like the real Einherjar (they ARE real, right) the player drinks and feasts, then fights, then feasts again, and fight some more, and so on, the player is completely free to do anything it wants and your job is to make sure they want to do just that, should not be hard. [/Legendary sentence] Of coarse the training grounds sounding Valhalla are more interesting than a plain field, and the good thing is that as it is a especially and divinely designed training ground all crazy things whose only purpose is to provide interesting fighting conditions are completely plausible! Of coarse there are many more details, I actually planed to do this myself a long time ago but never got time, so I have lots and lots of ideas if you are interested.

Some notes mostly for myself:
The player for greatest effect should be an axeman.
Everyone against everyone some days and splitting into two teams (random membership) some days.
Drinking and eating should also be a big part.
Keep track of peaple and encourage getting to know them.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

So what will make the player want to keep eating, drinking, and fighting for all eternity? I intend to have a leveling system of some kind, but just gaining power isn't enough.

Perhaps the game could come closer and closer to Ragnarok, and your supposed to be preparing for it. That would make to goal to level up as much as possible, with would be absolutely no fun.

What will make this game worth playing?

EDIT:
Nevermind. I suggested what I just had said would be no fun.

EDIT II:
I'm starting to wonder if I should be using the curses library. Windows Vista doesn't support the fullscreen mode of the console. That's something I should get sorted out quickly so I can move forward.

I should probably break this down into clear goals. Should I use Toady's system of dev notes? This game shouldn't be as complicated as Dwarf Fortress, but it might be in future.

While I decide what library to use for the graphics, I'll concern myself with world-gen, and use curses to view the results.

[ January 16, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

Double post.

[ January 16, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...