Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: !!Challenge!!  (Read 6355 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!Challenge!!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 01:46:49 pm »

For every creature type there's a weapon that'll work better than axe, but axe is all-around best. If you have to specialize from the start and don't have the luxury of cross-training, that would be the one to pick. It's very good at cleaving without getting stuck as often.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 02:40:21 pm »

For every creature type there's a weapon that'll work better than axe, but axe is all-around best. If you have to specialize from the start and don't have the luxury of cross-training, that would be the one to pick. It's very good at cleaving without getting stuck as often.
how are you going to defeat steel titans?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 02:43:36 pm »

how are you going to defeat steel titans?
A drinking contest?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 02:48:06 pm »

Steel can beat steel... it just takes a while.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 02:50:22 pm »

With the removal of underground fun forts, you can't just go on a quest for candy. You'll need something hard and dense to chip them until their tissues sustain enough cumulative damage. Steel, silver (blunt), or bronze would be best.

Best adventure mode weapon, imo, is the pick. Though it'll probably be impossible to get one unless there are ruined sites to loot. And you can't start with skill in it. Axes are very versatile as well, though spears are good at piercing the important bits of large creatures.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »

I recently found a bronze pick in a human mead hall, so it is possible to get one, just rare.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »

I've had a few steel-boned dragons where I managed to get the skull cloven asunder with a steel or dragonbone (which is steel as well, higher melting point though) battle axe but yeah, it took a long time.

Interestingly picks work great for knocking them out, but suck for killing them. I've managed to drop several unconscious with a couple of pick blows to the skull or neck... but then you can sit and wail on them for half an hour it feels like.

Course, if you just want a kill then all you need is something to hack open the throat and enough endurance to last until it bleeds out, which you could do with a dagger roughly as well as a great axe.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 03:29:34 pm »

i suggest silver scourge, if not use a whip?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 03:50:16 pm »

Best adventure mode weapon, imo, is the pick. Though it'll probably be impossible to get one unless there are ruined sites to loot.

They are really easy to come by.
Visit an inhabited site and search for miners or look at all people - sometimes they former were miners and still have their picks.
Same goes for axes/halberds (woodcutter) or crossbows (ranger).
Picks are really a killer if it comes to severing limbs.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »

I mean, what with the world plastered with monsters, there probably won't be other people around.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 04:02:01 pm »

i suggest silver scourge, if not use a whip?
Scourge is edged, and silver has poor properties for it. But I've used a divine scourge, which should be the best conceivable material for it, and it still sucked balls. And a divine whip wasn't any better than silver. But it's advantage is too limited to rely on for this wide a variety of enemies in a tight space. On mortals who can feel pain it's excellent, goes right through armor and overloads them with pain. On bronze colossi it can fracture them to harmlessness in short order, but just can't make the kill. With flesh creatures that don't feel pain, it takes way too long to make a kill, so it gives the enemy enough time and opportunity to screw you first.

The main problem with picks is how easily they get stuck in an enemy, which leaves you wide open for attacks while retrieving it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:05:55 pm by Uzu Bash »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »

The main problem with picks is how easily they get stuck in an enemy, which leaves you wide open for attacks while retrieving it.

If you use multiple attack then you can counter this:
1. Strike.
2. Dodge away.
If the pick gets stuck then dodging away leads to retrieving it.
No loss of an important combat round.

I mean, what with the world plastered with monsters, there probably won't be other people around.

Yeah, thought I would be at the other thread which relates to general questions.
Saw the thread name after making my comment and got myself a facepalm.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:14:30 pm by SaD-82 »

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 04:19:11 pm »

anyone trying it?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 04:20:41 pm »

If you use multiple attack then you can counter this:
Multiple attacks reduce accuracy, and missed attacks have a fatigue cost, so this isn't sustainable in combat. If you have to rely on one weapon skill from beginning to end, axe has the greatest versatility with the fewest drawbacks.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 04:36:06 pm »

I just posted this in the other thread; I thought it might be of interest here.

It's a new and improved version of the challenge world, with 20 000 megabeasts, 20 000 semimegabeasts and as a bonus 1000 night trolls for some additional flavor.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 [2] 3