Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Community Fortress: Surviving a Self-Induced Zombie Invasion  (Read 929 times)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Community Fortress: Surviving a Self-Induced Zombie Invasion
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:02 pm »

I was playing Df, and decided to challenge myself with a frozen haunted tundra/forest fort. Things were going great, because I started on the forest side of the map, and things didn't come back to life there. The tundra had an evil rain though. I had no idea what it did, and stayed away from it until I had a fort set up. The 1st cavern has a few living troglodytes, but the 2nd is swarming with undead crundles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wasn't sure if the evil side resurrected dead things (undead just randomly wandered from it's side of the map), or what the rain did, but I had 14 children in a fort of 25 dwarfs. So like any curious and proper overseer, I had all the children walk into the rain, and watched what happened. I now call the rain "Bruise Paste", because anything that touches it gets bruised. Stay in it long enough, and it starts to pulp living creatures. Eventually, after all the children had their eyes and ears pulped, an undead polar bear came and killed them all. I would come to regret this, because every one of them reanimated. I was amused by one of them, which was just a head. Nothing below the jaw.

Anyways, I had a near-surface living area (I used it while I was breaching the aquifer), and had just finished digging out a level of workshops and bedrooms. I had a few deaths from undead attacking me (about 8 ), but I quickly bottled up my dwarfs whenever an undead approached my fort. I was in the process of building a tower to house marks-dwarfs, when it happened. While I was directing a migrant wave to keep them from walking into the group of undead, one of the undead children managed to get in (I had 13 dwarfs at the time). My only militia dwarf had no armor (due to her predecessors (3 before her) dieing outside, and me locking the door to keep the undead out), but had a steel war-hammer. The undead (which I will refer to as "The monster") proceeded to kill the hammer-dwarf with her own hammer, and then started to kill every other dwarf in the fortress. I tried to wall of part of the fort:

The monster killed the masons. I tried to deconstruct stairs:

The monster grabbed the dwarfs from below. As their screams echo, I try hiding a dwarf at the top of the tower, on one of the incomplete walls:

The monster pushed him off. Finally, I was down to 2 dwarfs: A planter that got lock outside in the confusion, and my broker, who was at the bottom of a mine shaft. I unlock the door to try and get the planter in the fort without him dieing to the undead horde lurking on the map, and after carefully using burrows to walk him back to the fort, I send him to deconstruct the floor that attaches the lower fort and the temporary housing. As I do that, I check where The Monster is, and

It is outside. It must have walked out after I unforbid the door. The fort is *safe*, with 2 survivors, and a child that sneaked in during the migrant wave that I cannot bring myself to kill. They have enough food to last for years, and a well connected to the aquifer, but I will have revenge against The Monster.

Edit: The child took a walk outside, and was killed by a billy goat corpse.
I have never had a fort that was this close to abandoning Forcefully Retiring, so I decided to write about it. I am going to continue, and try to make some periodic updates, till all of my dwarfs are undead.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:45:47 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress: Surviving a Self-Induced Zombie Invasion
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:56:45 pm »

I think we all know how you should name the next doctor...