Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Einherjar  (Read 14360 times)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: Einherjar
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 09:08:00 am »

I guess now, you'll just have to live with the guilt. Day. By day. By day....EVERY day.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

They say that it's a good idea to "finish" the versions of a game (called "release"), but not actually tell anyone about them unless they're pretty good.

So, instead of starting with v0.00001, which nobody really wants to look at anyways, you can try out v0.00001 yourself to see if there are bugs and where it needs to be improved to make a moderately interesting game.

Not that it needs to be amazing to warrant a release.  Some of the flash stuff they do with addictinggames or whatever gets attention, so you know a game that has some good features and a bunch of momentum would get at least a little notice.  There's just something about literally releasing a game to the public that makes it hard to generate new stuff, even though releasing in itself is good for keeping track of progress.

Or, I don't really know, that's just what I hear.   ;)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nerdpride:
<STRONG>So, instead of starting with v0.00001, which nobody really wants to look at anyways, you can try out v0.00001 yourself to see if there are bugs and where it needs to be improved to make a moderately interesting game.</STRONG>
side note: there is no reason to have that many zeros in a version number, they are not decimal.

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fenrir

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>side note: there is no reason to have that many zeros in a version number, they are not decimal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning</STRONG>

How do version numbers work anyway? How can you determine which number to use and when? How do you know when your game goes from v0.9 to v1.0?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

it says that in the article...

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fenrir

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>.......

it says that in the article...</STRONG>

Sorry, I missed the link in this damn blue background.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Ahh, a tip to make me look somewhat professional, thanks.

Fenrir

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

I just posting to let people know that I've not abandoned the project. I've made the '@ walking around an empty screen' demo and I'm moving on to map generation.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
That's about the size of it. I should never have made this thread.</STRONG>

:)  It takes time! But believe me, pixels running around is much better than I ever have done!

Fenrir

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

Yeah, this is going to take some time. I discovered that the version* of pdcurses package that I downloaded didn't display some characters from the Extended ASCII character set, so I got rid of it and then tried to manually intall a different version, but then I realized that I shouldn't be worrying about what characters I'm using at this point.  :)

*I don't know if "version" is the right word for it, but whatever.

Fenrir

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

After much headache, I finally managed to install the other "version" of pdcurses, but it can't display Extended ASCII characters either, so the problem lies with my console. I remember reading something about how Extended ASCII isn't a standard, so I probably shouldn't use it even if I could.

:mad:

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

I never tried to use extended ASCII, there's plenty of other characters for games just on a regular keyboard.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

Ok, I have put this of a while because it's a lot to write, this results in it being even more...

Begining from my last post:

quote:
Torak: About skills...

In this game as I have understood it you are not a new Einherjar, but have been there for thousands of years, so no significant skill increase is plausible.
For more general about game design its a good idea, the original Armok game (before DF, whit the horrendous 3D and wonderful main menu) had a more fleshed out version of this system and that is the best skill system I have  ever seen

quote:
Gigalith: The most painful part methinks is deciding how to handle tiles. The most obvious ... There's no right way out of this paradox. However, one way is to create a GameObject class which both the tile class and the classes of the things desecend from. Now you can give everybody a GameObject* pointer, and have it both ways!

What I would suggest for maximum modularity is having a world class, an tile class, a item class, and possibly a creature class but the game becomes more consistent if creatures are a kind of objects, or even better many objects*.

Global is only the functions for input/output and a World object (or several world objects for different planes or universes or planets/spaceships outside the scale of tiles etc. but thats not necessary for this game)
the world object contains an array of objects and a 3D array of tiles.
Now comes the important part:
Tiles contain pointers to the items in them, objects contain pointers to their tiles, both contain pointers to the world, objects contain pointers to objects they relate to (for example a backpack contains pointers to the objects in it, and those contain pointers to the backpack, a creatures arm contain a pointer to the upper body* etc.) tiles point to it's neighbors...
Short version: POINTERS EVERYWHERE!
This is why I only program in C++.

*Have creatures not be a single object, but make every bodypart a different object whit a independent position and speed, this might help making a very detailed physics based combat system and is much more realistic and thus result in cool emergent behavior. I have a few other ideas on this to, like having a "soul" object usually contained by the head/brain but in certain situations might  be done other things to, and having drawing/input/waiting code be called in this object rather than calling everything else, this might help very much if you want to add for example multiplayer (bad example, you probably wont, but if you wanted whit this system it would be easy) or several pother things (another bad example; time effects).

quote:
There's little advantage in having multiple files for a small project. And the jump is rather large. You should only take it if you think you are ready.

Not true, at least not if you have a decent compiler.
Even it you write all files in notepad, if you use the system I mentioned above at least for files for globals, world, tile, and object might be worthwhile.

quote:
nerdpride: *lots of horribly gamy suggestions about feasting being a power up system for combat, and a mesagelog about a drunk*

These ideas are HORRIBLE!
The feasting should be fun in its own right, imagine a contrast to the combat and a system whit telling stories from the days battle, drunken singing, socializing, and funny description of what other Einherjar say and do when they are drunk.
By the time fighting start again everybody would be relatively sober. And these are all Einherjar so there would be no such thing as a "drunken man" in the game.
Also Einherjar don't get tired, they feel no pain, they never lose their strength.
These are dead, while they still look and act and think as they did in life for the combat you should look more on undead.

About it being to ambitious I think that you can learn as you go, your first game *can* be good if you spend time on it and get lots of advise, and if you aren't afraid to rewrite things when you get better.
The only thing you can realy screw up ids the main arcetectur, and even Toady himself did that by hardcoding vievport size.

For the ASCII library I think taking a look a the Kobold Quest source might be an idea, thats the same system DF uses.

Phew, that was a lot.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

Okay, so I've got some things to decide and clear up before moving on.

Where I'm Going with This
I don't see Einherjar as being a long term project. When I say that, I mean no more than a year or two, but I don't know enough to make a reasonable estimate. Einherjar is just to get my foot in the door, so to speak. When I've got a working game, then I'll start a life-long project.

That being said, I need to return to the realm of reality for a while. I don't think I'm going to start as a dabbling n00b and be able to program realistic phsyics in a year.

So there has to be a realistic goal for me. I don't exactly know what that should be, but I'm pretty sure all these crazy "powergoals" are beyond me.

Questions for Which I Need Answers

Questions: One file or many?
My thoughts:
This project probably won't get very large, but I will have to use multiple files eventually, like for the life-long project I mentioned, so it might be a good habit to get into from the start.

Questions: Curses or SDL?
My thoughts:
This project is going to be in ASCII either way. 75% of the reason is because I love ASCII, and the other 25% of the reason is because I don't want to be bothered with making graphics. So the biggest deciding factor will be simplicity. Which would be easier to use?

I need to get this thing off the ground, because objects at rest tend to stay at rest.

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

IDEA! What about yes you do this as a fairly short learning project, and call it
Einherjar chapter I: training grounds. Then when you have learned a bit you make
Einherjar chapter II: Ragnarök. What do ya think?  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4