Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Einherjar  (Read 14235 times)

Fenrir

Re: Einherjar
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nerdpride:
<STRONG>These "Power Goals" seem a little bit more distracting than helpful.  They're statements of something that should be able to happen in a game, so it takes a bit of effort to digest them into the programming needed, as opposed to a simple statement of features.

Maybe start with something simpler, like, "basic combat->combat with two weapons->ranged combat->siege combat->additional gore...  Combat Completed."  Then you can check of parts that you accomplish as you go on, too.</STRONG>

Yes, your right, I'm getting way too far ahead of myself. I have yet to get input and output working!

Armok is the god of blood, so it's only natural that he'd want to play a game all about fighting and gore. I was trying to find something else to put in because can't imagine combat so deep that I'd want to do nothing but that for hours, but then I realized that my first game didn't need Dwarf Fortress depth.

I'll finish Einherjar, and it will have moderately complex combat, with maybe DF style wrestling. When I've actually made a game, then I'll move on to a game with the complexity I want, a game designed by me (not that Armok's ideas aren't cool or appreciated, but I need this to be my game).

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

Good idea. We don't want to have an imaginary awesome world, we want a playable game!

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

This is a good idea.
Reminds me of my first stab at game programing. (shudders)
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>These are Einherjar, they fight and eat, thats it, why should you do more in the game?</STRONG>

Hey! You are all forgetting about drinking! Which seemed to be one of base ideas of the game at the start.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Fenrir

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>
Hey! You are all forgetting about drinking! Which seemed to be one of base ideas of the game at the start.</STRONG>

How the hell do you make eating and drinking fun?!

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

By adding hazards like chokeing and liver failure, but really that stuff isnt fun.
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>
Hey! You are all forgetting about drinking! Which seemed to be one of base ideas of the game at the start.</STRONG>

That was a typo, I intended to write drink, not eat.

When you are in doubt about anything, in this case drinking being fun, then think "well, how does it work in reality?".
In this case you might even want to do some practical studies!  :D Just don't think you will program better afterwards.  :p

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

About skills, how about having them be in tiers, or levels, with sub-levels between each level.

Such as if you're a fighter, and specialize in, say, axes, your starting skill in it would be none, and look like this

code:

SKILLS
  FIGHTING
    AXES- None  

and after your use it once, you have

code:

AXES- Bad

and every, say, 100 experience or so, you get an upgrade in that skill, from Bad to bad (1) and bad(2) and so on to 10, when you become fair(0) and then fair (1) after, say, 300 exp.

Just a slight suggestion for skills.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

I would suggest trying to get a "@ moving around the screen" demo before attempting combat. It's harder than you would think.

And some practical advice (I'm assuming you are using C++):

* Don't be afraid to dump (but archive) your first attempt.

* Tiles:

The most painful part methinks is deciding how to handle tiles. The most obvious way is to have the tiles point at the things they contain. This way, with a reference to a tile, you can learn what is within. However, the things within do not know where they are, which can result in a problem later.

What about the opposite? You can give the things pointers to your tiles instead. This means that the tiles can be very simple, even just an array of ints. However, given a reference to a tile, you cannot find out the things within.

There's no right way out of this paradox. However, one way is to create a GameObject class which both the tile class and the classes of the things desecend from. Now you can give everybody a GameObject* pointer, and have it both ways!

* When you get to it, here is the greatest  A* pathfinding tutorial ever.

* There's little advantage in having multiple files for a small project. And the jump is rather large. You should only take it if you think you are ready.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. I do know some arcana about static variables, the new keyword, and linked lists, so if you have questions about them, feel free to ask.

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Gigalith ]

Check out my books at O and H Books

Fenrir

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gigalith:
<STRONG>I would suggest trying to get a "@ moving around the screen" demo before attempting combat. It's harder than you would think.</STRONG>

Aye, there cannot be any combat without the @!

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

I think you might even be able to use drinking/feasting to influence combat somehow.   This might just be an interesting fix for combat needed and also a way to tie in feasting and drinking.

If you drink a lot, you have increased morale (since you think you're invulnerable or something) at a cost of becoming more clumsy.  So, by drinking a lot, these Einherjar can gain increased attacking values and lower defense values.  This should be a good deal since they can't permanently die, right?

If you eat a lot of food, maybe you could get more energy?  An energy/stamina system might become complicated, but it would be difficult to explain food doing anything else.  It might be possible to skip energy entirely and say that eating food transfers directly into movement speed, attack rate, damage, or the like.  

And then, if you eat or drink too much, you could get bloated or something (alcohol poison?), making you really ineffective in combat.  And also very nasty if you get cut to pieces.

On top of that, add messages that change when one of these Einherjar become extremely drunk or bloated, to add a little bit of flair that would really make combat fun.

You see a drunken, gorged man.
The drunken, gorged man slurs.
The drunken, gorged man threatens you!
The drunken, gorged man swings wildly at you!
You dodge the uncoordinated attack.
You attack the drunken, gorged man.
It was a GREAT hit!
The drunken, gorged man's belly is pierced.
The drunken, gorged man explodes in gore!
A pool of blood and gore lies at your feet.
A half-digested meatloaf lies at your feet.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

Isn't this your first game, Fenrir? It seems a little... complex. If you don't have a lot of experience (which you very well might, this is just pure speculation from your other thread) you may want to choose something easier to develop. Maybe a little dungeon delving game or such.

Fenrir

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>Isn't this your first game, Fenrir? It seems a little... complex. If you don't have a lot of experience (which you very well might, this is just pure speculation from your other thread) you may want to choose something easier to develop. Maybe a little dungeon delving game or such.</STRONG>

Yeah, I know. I guess I got a little carried away.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

It's like version one turns out to have the player as a big yellow pixel and you move around and attack red pixels, after all this hype about powergoals and great achievements  :D

Fenrir

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>It's like version one turns out to have the player as a big yellow pixel and you move around and attack red pixels, after all this hype about powergoals and great achievements   :D</STRONG>

That's about the size of it. I should never have made this thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4