Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Einherjar  (Read 14228 times)

Fenrir

Re: Einherjar
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

I love that idea, Armok!

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

Or perhaps Einherjar Chapter 0

IDEAS:
Maybe you start out at zero skills for everything at the beginning of every day, but have set stats

Skills system:
Fighting Skills:1
#Melee Skills:2(Counts as 2)
##Axes:6(Counts as 6)
##Swords:0(Counts as 2)
##Towels:0(Counts as 2)
#Ranged Skills:0 (Counts as 1)

Do you understand how that works with the averaging?

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Fenrir

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

:confused:

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Glad you like my idea!  :)

And I don't understand those numbers but from the description I get the impression that actual skills could be set but you get "warmed up" or "sober" and other temporary improvements that reset every day? maybe.
... Maybe by fighting well you could en "points" of fame of more drink of something? Or maybe peaple like you for saving them but don't hate you for killing them, so bu killing the general attitude towards you would increase?
But probably you should not brother whit this for now.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

quote:
Questions for Which I Need Answers

Questions: One file or many?
My thoughts:
This project probably won't get very large, but I will have to use multiple files eventually, like for the life-long project I mentioned, so it might be a good habit to get into from the start.

If you do choose multiple files, here's a tip (which you probably know already):

At the beginning of every file put

code:

#ifdef __NAME_OF_FILE__
#define __NAME_OF_FILE__

and at the end put
code:

#endif

__NAME_OF_FILE__ can be anything, as long as it is isn't used anywhere else. And what does it do, you ask? It is a macro that allows a file to be #included multiple times. Otherwise, the linker will complain that the names are being redefined by themselves.
quote:

Questions: Curses or SDL?
My thoughts:
This project is going to be in ASCII either way. 75% of the reason is because I love ASCII, and the other 25% of the reason is because I don't want to be bothered with making graphics. So the biggest deciding factor will be simplicity. Which would be easier to use?

Curses. It's original implementation was made by one of the authors of the original Rogue. It will do everything you need for a roguelike,
Check out my books at O and H Books

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

Okay... you used your for a while, so you have 6 "points" in axe.
You have zero in the other melee skills, so they your average for fighting in general is 2. Because 2 is higher then 0, if you started whacking people with a sword, you would fight AS IF you had 2 in sword.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Fenrir

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

@Gigalith:
Thank you for answering my questions.

@Reign on your Parade:
Ah, I see. I like that. You don't want your champion axeman to pick up a sword and accidentally cut his own head off.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

Yeah, my thoughts too.

Fenrir

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

Okay, how should I go about planning this? So far, just jumping into the thick of things has gotten me nowhere. I've no idea about what kind of goals I should set for myself, and no idea how to format those goals.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

1) input-output *finished*?
2) main architecture; the main classes for various things, some examples: objects, tiles, places, creatures, "factions".
Also big UI stuff, menus, announcement system, and so on.
This is just skeletal, crate the classes but put very little in them. (examples: for objects maybe x,y and z coordinates, some type reference, and pointer to the tile containing them. for tiles maybe ASCII char, passable y/n, and a list of objects in it.)
3) return of the @-walking-around-an-empty-screen!
But this time using the proper architecture, being a object/creature (depending on how you chose to handle it, I think it would be cool if creatures were made from several objects for bodyparts) and checking for passability.
4) simple world gen, UI mostly outlined, some objects and creatures except the player, fleshing out the various classes to contain much more data (flow for tile class maybe), creatures can preform actions and hit etch other, and talk even if the AI cant react to it.
5) add content as you wish! Flesh everything out!

Note that this is just an idea if you don't know what to do an that i know absolutely nothing about this.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Note that this is just an idea if you don't know what to do an that i know absolutely nothing about this.</STRONG>

It's a hell of a lot better than the plan I've got (which is no plan at all)! Thanks, Armok. I will not fail again. I will become a game developer.

Fenrir

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

I need a bit more advice. Isn't input and output already done? The curses library handles that stuff. I'm working on a Viewport class that keeps track of what's on screen, but I can't help but think that I'm putting the cart before the horse. The map ought to draw itself. Who knows better than the map where stuff is and how to draw it? Nevermind, I just typed myself out of it. It's time to start over.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Well, all map tiles shuld contain their ASCII character and color, but having an UI lass that draws the announcements and stats(?) and so on as well as exclude tiles not visible might be a good idea. also have the drawing function be called by the AI of the players character might be a good idea if you want sensible emergent behavior from time affecting things like sleep/waiting or actual timeslowing magic (just examples, none of these are probably good for Einherjar).

Edit: oups, I realized I sound quite bossy, this is just a suggestion

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

I see. Hmmm... It seems I forgot all about time, I'm not sure how I'll handle that. I'll think of something.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

My techinique for my "@ moving around the screen" demo was to give a ShowTile() method in the tile class that returned. the right character. Then I had two for loops that cycled through each tile and then did mvaddch(x,y,map
  • [y].ShowTile()).
Check out my books at O and H Books
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]