Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The friendly bandits  (Read 8664 times)

branmuffincat

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me im a dwarf.
    • View Profile
The friendly bandits
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:25:30 pm »

so I keep marching on to bandit camps expecting a fight on my hands but when I meet them they just don't fight me am I going to have to take it into my own hands and just punch one in the face or will there be drawbacks for attacking them?

Fishanchips

• Bay Watcher
  • Look! The cliffs of INSANITY!
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly bandits
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:57:34 pm »

I have had this too. I dealt with it by choking the life out of the leader and that seems to rally them to action.

As for drawbacks

Ask a peasant

What do you think of me?
You are unhinged! You perpertrated a violent attack on Gobo Mcgoblin! You are also a pleasure to speak with.
Goodbye.
Goodbye.

(Meaning I am still waiting for the locals to make themselves into a posse and murder me. Or even stop talking to me at all. I would prefer the not talking thing. People don't have anything to say anyways aside from "OH GRAVY HES GOT AN AXE!" and "HE JUST MURDERED URIST RUN!")
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:03:39 pm by Fishanchips »
http://wiki.ss13.co/images/c/c8/ClownandAlien.jpeg

A screeching clown car pulls up to the safe house!
Circus members pour out of it and start throwing pies at the windows!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:53:34 pm »

I have had this too. I dealt with it by choking the life out of the leader and that seems to rally them to action.
Sometimes. When they get around to it. If you managed to finish the job before they took any action, they will mildly disapprove of your conduct. They may have to put 'rumored killer' on your permanent record.

Bandits aren't hostile unless they're away from camp, roving for someone to jump. Even then, they won't be hostile when they're moving to their designated robbing grounds or returning to camp. Also if you meet them in a village and they give you a friendly greeting, that's a heads up that they're about to mug you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:20:50 am »

Most of the time bandits will not even try to defend their life if you are actively trying to kill them or their friends in their sight. Most of their reaction will be "is that a weapon ?" or whatever similar stuff NPC do when they're attacked and aren't trying to react.
And even if you are a heartperson and are tasked to remove the bandit threat (what a threat) , they'll still welcome you in their bandit circles as if you were their best friends.
After killing them, be prepared to be called murderer and spit on by the very same guys or lords that told you about the bandits being a threat to their city and were making their life miserable.

For more challenging bandits and less bizarre reactions, you should go back to play 34.11, it's still a very good adventure mode and bandits have no remorse in trying to defend their life and territory there.

But be very, very cautious with bandit bosses/overlords, in 34.11 they're not pushovers and rather scary, i recently got a bandit overlord that on his own killed 2 allies in nearly one hit each with head flying and annihilate my well equipped character in no time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:23:13 am by Robsoie »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:52:01 am »

For more challenging bandits and less bizarre reactions, you should go back to play 34.11,

It's right, that the creatures (not only people, but animals, too) are far more aggressive and that the entity-related reactions are working, but there's one actual bug which kills 34.xx for me.
The duplication bug where, if someone is killed in a town or hamlet, he/she/it will always come back - and therefore you're getting a kill list with names multiple times in it. You can't clear anything of living beings. I stopped playing Adventure Mode in 34.11 and rolled back to 40d, till 40.xx came out.

And actually I can't play the older versions anymore because I would miss all the improvements which were made/re-implemented (like sites for dwarves/elves/goblins - even if some of them are broken).

And this leads me to:

so I keep marching on to bandit camps expecting a fight on my hands but when I meet them they just don't fight me

You can set the discipline for creatures/people to 1 or 2 in the raws and as soon as you'll do it, they will start fighting back (to some degree).
If you want to force someone to fight, just grab him/try to wrestle him and suddenly they defend themselves and you can start your actual attacks.
Yes, these tips are just workarounds (and it's sad that the whole concept is bugged) but it works and leads to some of the experiences you encountered in former versions of DF.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:27:55 am »

The duplication problem unfortunately still exist in 40.x, lots of creatures respawn after being killed
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8334

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 08:35:55 am »

The duplication problem unfortunately still exist in 40.x, lots of creatures respawn after being killed

Not as many as before (tbh I didn't encounter any of these in 40.xx but I read some threads - and I've also read that these only duplicate once not infinite times) - in 40.xx you can cleanse whole sites and sewers without ever meeting a living being again (pits and dark fortresses as exception).
And sometimes I'm in the mood for being the death incarnate and leaving just oblivion in my trail across the world.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:29:32 pm by SaD-82 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:20:40 am »

the duplication bug is the case of the game using the same code to insert animals to an area. like if you murder those creatures they would just pop back up outside of the legendary few.
but because it's used for Sites the game doesn't figure hey I'm using the same code for shove new animals to the place I really should remember if these ones die or not.
So you end up with weird bits like telling a guy to wait somewhere only to find them in the first spot you found them.
friendly bandits is another case of this as only a few of those bandits had ever killed or murder anyone and the rest are fresh spawn to fill in the site and combine that with entity memory is tied to 1 group and not say the entire nation you end up with entities being flushed out with the ongoing incursions this didn't happen all that often in 31.xx as there was no local entity takeover feature that would recently wipe entity historical memory from the spawning populace.
I really need to dive back into researching DF and figure out how this ticks.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 07:09:57 pm »

No, you need to see if you can make more sense of a jump-to-cursor script!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:45:06 pm »

Ever meet a roving vampire in the rare moment one is actually in its lair? They're rather friendly and hospitable. If you attack, they act as surprised as any civilian, even if you've outed them. The entire time you're in their lair, they won't leave, and it's even safe to sleep. But if you meet them while hunting, or if the lair tile loads while they're on their way in or out, it's back to kill or be killed.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 03:58:21 pm »

Indeed.
Had some occasions in which there were two or more vampires (usually goblins) and some normal humans (no werebeast - all of them were randomly generated).
The humans were the ones who actually fought and even attacked if they saw me hitting the vampires.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »

I've found some humans chasing a goblin vampire which was also being attacked by a cave-fish woman vampire, that got confusing fast.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 11:46:04 am »

I can one up your friendly bandits. Whenever a bandit fails to ambush me, they follow me around continually trying to talk to me to tell about a titan they have no business knowing about. And that is it. They follow me around just trying to chat all day long.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:13 am »

I can one up your friendly bandits. Whenever a bandit fails to ambush me, they follow me around continually trying to talk to me to tell about a titan they have no business knowing about. And that is it. They follow me around just trying to chat all day long.

Put your weapons away and talk to them. At some point they will try to rob you and/or punch you in your face.
I like the bullying aspect of this.
Almost as much as wiping their grins from their faces with an axe.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:20 pm »

Put your weapons away and talk to them. At some point they will try to rob you and/or punch you in your face.
I like the bullying aspect of this.
Almost as much as wiping their grins from their faces with an axe.
Nah that never happens for me. They only ever attack me if they have surprise on their side or if that group despises me at that location.
Pages: [1] 2