Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So it is impossible to create a custom reaction to engrave a memorial slab?  (Read 2160 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just when I thought I had got the better of my elves and I realise something nasty.  There is presently have no way to memorialise elves that they are unable to retrieve.  It seems easy enough to give them the ability to grow themselves some slabs but I have no way of having them engrave a memorial without using the default hardcoded memorial engraving reaction.  For my elves to do that they would need engraving labour which they do not have.

Does anyone know of a way to make a reaction to engrave a slab into a memorial.  I can find a reaction token to exclude engraved items as reagents but no token to make the item as memorial.  If it is indeed impossible as I suspect to make a custom memorial reaction then I will need to add elf engravers and so I wish to know something else. 

How would I make the elf engravers engrave things into wooden items, since having them solely exist to carve memorial slabs is silly. The COVERED token presumably runs the same script as the default item decorating scripts and gives us a chance of getting an art image, since the specific adding of art images is apparantly not allowed.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

AFAIK this can be done with DFHack, but not vanilla reactions.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK this can be done with DFHack, but not vanilla reactions.

I thought so.  I want to know then how do you make a reaction that decorates an item with artwork, because then I can give the neccessery elf engravers something to do to train engraving. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you download Masterwork V6.2 for 34.11 you'll find a slab-engraving reaction in the craftsdwarf shop and a script called slab_engrave.lua in dwarffortress/hack/scripts. It allows to do what you want.

I dont know if it still works in 40.x, but feel free to try. If it does, let me know. ;)

You might have to change the syntax of the reaction and add it to an on_load.init to get it to run with the new dfhack. The script has been written by Putnam, if you have specific questions about it, please ask him for details. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It should probably still work in 0.40.

I did not write it in a way that allows you to engrave a memorial slab, however. It only engraves slabs, no memorial involved. I don't actually know what that involves.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you download Masterwork V6.2 for 34.11 you'll find a slab-engraving reaction in the craftsdwarf shop and a script called slab_engrave.lua in dwarffortress/hack/scripts. It allows to do what you want.

I dont know if it still works in 40.x, but feel free to try. If it does, let me know. ;)

You might have to change the syntax of the reaction and add it to an on_load.init to get it to run with the new dfhack. The script has been written by Putnam, if you have specific questions about it, please ask him for details. :)

I do not really want to make my mod dependant upon Dfhack. 

It should probably still work in 0.40.

I did not write it in a way that allows you to engrave a memorial slab, however. It only engraves slabs, no memorial involved. I don't actually know what that involves.

How then do I write a script to engrave items in general?  I am not to bothered by having to add in elf engravers provided that I have something else for them to do besides memorial slabs. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

DFHack is the only way to do anything scripting-wise in DF, so if you don't want it dependent on DFHack then you cannot do this.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DFHack is the only way to do anything scripting-wise in DF, so if you don't want it dependent on DFHack then you cannot do this.

I merely intend to make a reaction to make elves able to add wooden decorations to items and have this train up their stone engraving skill. 

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:DETAIL_WOODEN_CUP]
[NAME:detail wooden cup]
[BUILDING:WOOD_GROWER:CUSTOM_H]
[ANY_PLANT_MATERIAL]
[NOT_IMPROVED]
[NOT_ENGRAVED]
[HARD_ITEM_MATERIAL]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[REAGENT:A:1:GOBLET:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[IMPROVEMENT:34:A:COVERED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[IMPROVEMENT:33:A:RINGS_HANGING:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[IMPROVEMENT:33:A:BANDS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:DETAILSTONE]

I am informed by the wiki that it is not possible to add art images as an improvements option.  I do not know whether that is because it is simply not possible except by using the hard-coded item improvement scripts or whether art images are created automatically if the skill roll is high enough; I hope it is the latter but would not be too upset if it were the former. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It is not the latter. If the wiki does not say something happens, it does not happen.