Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Videogames are good for something  (Read 5852 times)

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Videogames are good for something
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

Ever since I started playing Civilization 4 I have a bunch of random quotes stuck in my head (all narrated by Leonard Nimoy)

The future will be better tomorrow because it is from their foes and not their friends that city's learn the lesson of building high walls.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Ask a DF player about geology.  Like what gabbro actually looks like, or anything to do with layers shifting and stuff with tectonics, or what glaciers do to landscapes.  It's a starting point, nothing more...a very small starting point at that.

But I'd still love to get ahold of some of Toady's reference materials, since I love sciences in general.  :x</STRONG>

WIKI

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

Most of it's in the discovery and secret project blurbs.

I obviously embellished the story of Pria, but nothing I invented contradicts any part of the game.

Morgan lasts long enough to build a quantum power plant, so I goofed a wee bit thinking he doesn't survive to the end, and while I got Zakharov's reaction to the Lab Three incident right -- his reason for building the Voice of Planet seems to be fear of what he calls "an awakening God" -- he obviously researched the Green techs after finishing out the Singularity side or he wouldn't have been able to build the VoP.  So I erred in thinking Deidre transcended while Zakharov was busy with Singularities -- Zak has both sides of the tree covered.

Zakharov is clearly ascendant in the end stages of the story.  He builds both the Singularity Inductor and the Voice of Planet, meaning he researched both ends of the tech tree before anyone else -- particularly Deidre -- could skip the Singularity branch and get the jump on the Green techs.  He may have stolen the high-end Green stuff from Deidre, but there is absolutely no doubt he has them soon enough to be the first to build the VoP.

The final blurb for Transcendence, spoken by Planet, is from Deidre's book, leading me to think Deidre actually builds the Ascent.  It is almost unthinkable for the VoP builder not to be first to build A2T, though, as everybody builds A2T the turn after completing VoP.  Zak wouldn't be dumb enough to delay, either, unless fear of Planet made him not want to Transcend.

Anyway, you get bits and pieces of the "real story" from the blurbs and you have to infer what happened from that.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

lol ask a DF player what people look like "well there little H's of course what a silly question oh? and grass well comas of course another stupid question...."
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

Humans are U's, though...
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

Speaking of Alpha Centauri I would love to see some of the features from it put into Civ5, like the diplomacy dialog (Like "Blah, blah, hello Morgan, i herd u liek money, blah blah, Jesus Christ rawks, blah blah, Look at our big military, blah blah" when I came into contact with that Christian woman whose name I forgot), elevation, unit customization, and cool future stuff like planet busters and nerve stapling.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Just let me keep my supply crawlers and I'm happy.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas
Pages: 1 [2]